Vegan Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
1 cup of Spelt,kamut or wholewheat flour (or plain)
1 cup of plain (all purpose) flour I like to use a blend of ground almonds/kamut flour)
1/2 cup of good quality organic cacao (Green & Blacks)
1 cup of water or cold coffee ( coffee is better)
1 cup of Vegan mayonnaise
1 pinch of salt
1 cup of brown or muscovado sugar (or sweetener)
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
vanilla extract (optional)

Sift the flour, salt, cacao, baking powder and soda.
Mix the sugar into the water/coffee, extract and add the mayonnaise. Mix gently and
add to the dry ingredients.
Place into a 9x13 greased baking tin/pan.
Bake in a moderate oven 350 F/180 C Gas mark 4
Don't forget to test with a cake tester/tooth pick 5 minutes before the end of the suggested
baking time.
Leave to cool on a wire tray.

Tip: You can substitute plain flour for the wholewheat. You can also use white sugar.

3869628051_c4d30af051_m.jpg

3869631923_e0043c81ea_m.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmmm... :lick:
If I can drag myself out of bed I might just make this and bring it to work. Snowy days are always a good time for eating cake!

Reactions: shyvas
I made this! It came out really good...a little dry but I think I left it in the oven too long. I did bring it to work so I'm going to make another one for this nice 3-day weekend that I have. :)

Reactions: shyvas
I made this! It came out really good...a little dry but I think I left it in the oven too long. I did bring it to work so I'm going to make another one for this nice 3-day weekend that I have. :)

Brilliant ! You have the answered your own question. It is very difficult to give an precise baking time because oven temperatures differ.
I have a fan assisted oven and I have to reduce the temperature and time by 10% or more. When it states bake for 30 mins in reality it would be around 20 mins.
It is always a good idea to have a peek and do the tooth pick test about 10 before the end.
You could also add more mayonnaise or 1/4 cup of apple purée/sauce or pumkin for a denser style cake.

If you cover the cake in foil and put it into a container, it should be slightly moister the following day.