Cheese anyone?

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Do you have a favourite cheese recipe? Please share :)

Hearing Dr Barnard and other Drs speak, it appears that CHEESE is the hardest thing to kick when transitioning to veganism. It certainly has been for me. So, here are a couple of cheese recipes. I have made the first one, it is delicious. Tonight I make the second one, I will let you know how it goes :)

No. I guess I'm lucky in this way. I have always hated cheese. When I was young I used to insist the pizza had no cheese, but I would eat it sometimes if it came with it, because mozzarella was "ok" if not exactly liked. Mom would make grilled cheese sandwiches using American cheese and I wanted to retch at the smell. Everything about cheese put me off it, and before I went vegan the only dairy I had was a little milk that I used in my coffee. If cheese is the hardest thing to give up when going vegan, I'm very fortunate to basically have a lifelong hatred of it, lol.

Here's my vegan (grated) parmesan:
1. 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp raw cashews.
1/4 cup nutritional yeast.
1/2 tsp garlic powder.
1/4 tsp onion powder.
3/4 tsp sea salt.
(Whizzed to a rough powder in the food processor )

Here's cheese sauce for pasta, etc:
Ingredients
1 cup (150g) Cashew Nuts (Raw)
2 Tbsp Nooch
1 Clove Garlic (crushed)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
Pinch Sea Salt
Pinch Black Pepper
5 Tbsp Water
Instructions
Add the cashew nuts, nutritional yeast, crushed garlic and lemon juice to the blender jug. Add sea salt and black pepper. Measure out the water and add it in. Blend until very smooth and creamy.
For a thicker cheese, use less water. For a thinner salad dressing consistency, use a little more water.

Here's vegan Boursin:
Ingredients
1 cup cashews soaked in 3 cups of water for at least 1 hour. 130g, 709 ml
2 teaspoons lemon juice 10ml
1/2 teaspoon salt 3g
2 turns fresh black pepper
1/4 cup water 60ml
Instructions
Soak, drain and rinse cashews.
Place in a food processor, along with lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
Pulse for about 1 minute to combine ingredients.
Add water and process until completely smooth, about 2 -4 minutes.
Add garlic, chives, etc, to taste.

NB: I got all of these recipes online and they are all very tasty.

Reactions: Lou and betiPT
I make a pretty good feta cheese. I have the ingredients but not the exact measurements since I just eyeball everything.

Extra firm tofu
Red wine vinegar
Lemon juice
Dill
Oregano
Nutritional yeast
Miso (can sub tahini but it will change the taste, this is what I've been using)
Salt (if using tahini if not you can leave it out)
Basil
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Cube up the tofu and mix all other ingredients together. Let it marinade for at least a day. Two days is best since the marinade really gets into it and starts making the texture similar to feta.

I make a pretty good feta cheese. I have the ingredients but not the exact measurements since I just eyeball everything.

Extra firm tofu
Red wine vinegar
Lemon juice
Dill
Oregano
Nutritional yeast
Miso (can sub tahini but it will change the taste, this is what I've been using)
Basil
Garlic powder
Onion powder

Cube up the tofu and mix all other ingredients together. Let it marinade for at least a day. Two days is best since the marinade really gets into it and starts making the texture similar to feta.
Yummo!!! Never thought of doing a vegan feta... amazing!

I finally made that second vid recipe from first post... oh no, I put too much cayenne :triumph:

I like to make one now that is similar to the first one Lou posted, but I add my own little tweaks to it - I love putting tahini and smoked paprika in my potato/carrot/cashew cheese. My roommate seconds the smoked paprika, it's like magic.

Reactions: betiPT

Extra firm tofu
Red wine vinegar
Lemon juice
Dill
Oregano
Nutritional yeast
Basil
Garlic powder
Onion powder

My vegan roomie and I were talking about making more recipes with miso, so maybe I'll try this soon.

I don't have any smoked paprika. I will have to look for it. But i got this little bottle of "Liquid Smoke" that i use in a lot of recipes. I think it does the same thing.

Reactions: Andy_T and betiPT
I love to have cheese in sandwich. Some times I just toast the bread, apply cheese between two bread. My breakfast is ready.