Vegan Cheese Options

effortDee

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I would like to share this resource with everyone, it has nearly 1000 vegan cheese options and the discovery tool can be used to filter and sort in many ways.

The hardest part for me transitioning to veganism 4 years ago was removing cheese from my diet, so I thought some could benefit from this discovery tool.

You can filter in many ways:

1. By brand
  2. (base) main ingredient used as the base of the vegan cheese
  3. brand
  4. extra dietary requirements
  5. flavor
  6. location available
  7. flavoring
  8. ingredients composition, to show only whole food plant based cheese
  9. and texture
I hope it can help some of you find new favourites!

Wow! That's a lot of info!
Uk has 90 varieties, US 68!
Parmela came up, and I've seen that in stores but no ones ever brought that on up!
Thanks

No problem, glad to help others!

Not tried that Parmela yet, seem to keep on buying the new Violife Epic Mature, wow its good.

No problem, glad to help others!

Not tried that Parmela yet, seem to keep on buying the new Violife Epic Mature, wow its good.
I had parmela pepperjack slices. They were good, but maybe I got a pack that wasn't stored well, they were all soft and stuck together. THey tasted good and were great on tortilla chips in the toaster oven!
I think they were a lot like Trader Joes cheddar slices, which were kinda crumble texture-like they should have just been shreds!

Violife cheddar shreds are the best! I also love Daiya farmhouse blocks

Reactions: PTree15
I had parmela pepperjack slices. They were good, but maybe I got a pack that wasn't stored well, they were all soft and stuck together. THey tasted good and were great on tortilla chips in the toaster oven!
I think they were a lot like Trader Joes cheddar slices, which were kinda crumble texture-like they should have just been shreds!

Violife cheddar shreds are the best! I also love Daiya farmhouse blocks
Agree on the Violife cheddar shreds and the Daiya blocks. I have not been able to find the Daiya cheddar blocks anywhere of late. I think Daiya has the best of the cheddar blocks I've tried.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
I have changed my mind on Parmela and Trader Joe cheddar slices. I like both a LOT
Learned TJ's has vegan Boursin, but I don't even know what that is :shrug:

If you are going vegan or would like to go vegan but are having difficulty giving up cheese, try Miyoko's brand vegan cheese. They should have it in many well-stocked health foods stores and at places like Whole Foods.

You can use them to make vegan macaroni and cheese and a lot of other typical cheese dishes, but its also good and cheesy enough to just cut a Miyokos cheese wheel up into pieces and eat it with grapes & crackers.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Agree on the Violife cheddar shreds and the Daiya blocks. I have not been able to find the Daiya cheddar blocks anywhere of late. I think Daiya has the best of the cheddar blocks I've tried.
I dislike Daiya shreds and slices, but the farmhouse blocks are my favorite! The cheddar, jalepano havarti and provolone,which is hard to find
The last Violife mozz shreds I didn't like, but I did like their smoked provolone shreds
Shreds have that starch or something coating them that changes things

I've yet to try Miyokos, but I make her recipe for Better Buffalo mozz almost weekly. I'll be getting some kappa carrageenan soon and will that to get the stretchy texture

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
1656317682934.png
Nomaggio Chedd*r Peddler-£ 5.99

Lovely in a farmhouse sandwich, grated on pasta, or with crackers and Nomaggio caramelized onion chutney.

Our newest Vegan Cheese but the longest in development, we really believe this to be the best available Vegan Cheddar alternative. Both texture and taste are as close to Cheddar cheese as we have been able to obtain.

If you are missing Cheddar cheese and don't want the supermarket alternatives anymore look no further, this has depth of flavour and texture that crumbles and grates.

Nomaggio Chedd*r Peddler Vegan Cheese | VeganCheese.co

• Informative
I dislike Daiya shreds and slices, but the farmhouse blocks are my favorite! The cheddar, jalepano havarti and provolone,which is hard to find
The last Violife mozz shreds I didn't like, but I did like their smoked provolone shreds
Shreds have that starch or something coating them that changes things

I've yet to try Miyokos, but I make her recipe for Better Buffalo mozz almost weekly. I'll be getting some kappa carrageenan soon and will that to get the stretchy texture
Try some of these the next time you find yourself at a well-stocked health food store if you're a person having a hard time giving up dairy cheese:

Excellent snack with grapes & crackers.

I've had Daiya and Violife before. They are maybe okay on pizza or something when you have a lot of other toppings and sauces with them (and a soda on the side) to disguise the fact that they don't really taste like dairy cheese... but they likely won't impress someone who really likes dairy cheese. The right Miyokos cheese wheel will!

(I'm not really talking about Miyokos mozzarella here. Maybe it's good, maybe not. )

Try some of these the next time you find yourself at a well-stocked health food store if you're a person having a hard time giving up dairy cheese:

Excellent snack with grapes & crackers.

I've had Daiya and Violife before. They are maybe okay on pizza or something when you have a lot of other toppings and sauces with them (and a soda on the side) to disguise the fact that they don't really taste like dairy cheese... but they likely won't impress someone who really likes dairy cheese. The right Miyokos cheese wheel will!

(I'm not really talking about Miyokos mozzarella here. Maybe it's good, maybe not. )
While I still miss very specific dairy mozz on certain pizzas, I do love vegan cheese.
I'm not about to try Miyokos, but I do play around with her recipe for Better Buffalo, which is a cashew/soy yogurt cultured cheese
Just got the Non Dairy Evolution and kappa carrageenan and will be trying some new recipes this weekend
I like some Daiya Blocks just to eat. Follow your Heart slices too-love the smoked gouda and provolone

Reactions: Lou
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen Daiya blocks!
I found the way to wean off all kinds of cheese, dairy or vegan. I bought a book, Non Dairy Evolution, bought the carrageenan, big bag of agar, tried three times without real success. Now I can't justify buying it, and I don't feel inclined to make it either:rofl:

• Haha