Animal Rights Charities that use animal testing

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who gives to charities thinks about whether their donated money will go to fund animal experiments? If you're aware that your money may well do, do you mind? xxx

I donate money to either animal-related charities like Uncaged and Dr Hadwen Trust, to animal rescue centres or to charities that don't carry out research on animals.:)

There is a list from Animal Aid here that specifies which health charities carry out animal research.
Animal Aid: Health Charities and Animal Testing

I try to only donate money to, buy things from, or contribute in any way towards charities that don't test on animals. I say try because sometimes cancer support charities donate a small amount of money to research (which will involve animal testing) so it isn't always that clear cut.

However if I think about it, it's a more difficult issue. Medical research requires animal testing by law, so whilst I don't personally want to give my money to support that, there isn't really an alternative for people who want to donate money to medical research into a particular disease/etc. Furthermore, for charity shops, I don't really see what is so different from buying from a charity shop and that money going somewhere I don't want it to, to buying from a shop where the same is also true. Is it really better that I buy a tshirt from topshop than that I buy one from Marier Curie cancer care who donate 5% of their profit to cancer research? :confused: I really don'y know.

I don't think it's all that straightforward. But I choose where my money goes, and I'd rather it didn't go to animal testing I don't believe in... but I'm not sure it's downright wrong.

I think I'd rather support charities that promote other ways of research. It's very difficult though. Difficult subject with most people, especially when it comes to the cancer charities xxx

I was just thinking about this... Since going vegan I no longer donate to charities that fund animal research, the thought of the pain and suffering that the mice, rats, monkeys dogs and others go through, being injected and cut open and having things pushed in their eyes and mouths and noses and being deliberately harmed, and eventually killed, especially when animal testing has largely been proven to be useless, is just too horrifying. That's not to say that I don't identify with the results that the charity is trying to achieve, I just think they are going about it the wrong way. I will happily donate to health charities that don't conduct or fund animal testing.

I don't donate to charities that fund or carry out animal testing, or shop in their charity shops. That includes DiabetesUK, as I would honestly rather not be cured than have animals harmed and killed in the process of finding a cure. Perhaps I would feel differently if I had cancer and a year to live instead of 30ish, I just hope I never find out.

It's a sticky one. I personally don't shop or donate money to charities that I'm aware fund animal testing or apply to work for them. But if I or a loved one had cancer, I would have no trouble taking advantage of the gains they've made as result of that research.

Until recently I did almost all my clothes and book shopping in charity but since moving I only really have access to the animal testy ones. Trying to find some good ones I can feel good about shopping at because even if I felt comfortable buying new stuff, it's making me poor!

I do not give to charities that fund animal testing i do not believe that using animals to test on will give us any real benefit or find cures for us. If i got cancer i would have to die from it. We will all die some day these so called cures are only extend life they do not prevent old age and death.

Reactions: mary1
It's a sticky one. I personally don't shop or donate money to charities that I'm aware fund animal testing or apply to work for them. But if I or a loved one had cancer, I would have no trouble taking advantage of the gains they've made as result of that research.

To me that's not really a problem, I don't see the benefit to anyone if I refuse to take medicine that was brought about through animal testing. Maybe I'm missing something and it is harmful?

I do not give to charities that fund animal testing i do not believe that using animals to test on will give us any real benefit or find cures for us. If i got cancer i would have to die from it. We will all die some day these so called cures are only extend life they do not prevent old age and death.
Dying from something sudden/in your sleep and dying from cancer are two very different ways to die. I do hope it doesnt come to that, if I get Cancer I will die from it through choice, because ive seen cancer take people from me. It is not something I would choose not to fight.

Also there are charities that do not conduct animal experiments in the fight against things such as cancer. To give up without researching that fact is worrying.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/campaigns/experiments//281//

Ok, so I work in a cardiac department and everyone is doing a sponsored walk for British Heart Foundation. I would like to make a donation to a heart charity that does not support animal testing. I'm struggling to find one though.
The only ones on animal aid's list aren't really a fair comparison for the work that British Heart Foundation actually do xxx

I saw that the cardiomyopathy association are on the good list and they were going to be what I went for in the end.
Didn't realise that CRY were on the good list too! That's where my money will go :) xxx

Reactions: SummerRain
Glad you've found one to go with :) they even have info about their research policies (including that they don't fund animal testing) on their website http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/research.htm

It's good to see there are also so many cancer research charities that don't fund or conduct animal testing, as that is the other big one that a lot of fundraisers etc are for.

I hadn't thought of that, when people collect for charities I don't give money to, to offer to support a similar one. That's a really nice idea :)