Chao Slices From Field Roast (Cheese)

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
These look promising. Has anyone seen them in the stores?

Reactions: Dedalus
The coconut one sounds disgusting. I once tried a amaretto cheddar cheese and almost threw up from the flavor, and the coconut one reminds me of it for some reason. The other two look good though.

Last edited:
This does sound very promising!

I melted the cheese on a just-cooked Gardein Beefless Burger, and it softened like a champ. While Daiya does the job for me on a regular basis, the Chao Slice's consistency reminded me of legit, deli-sliced cheese. Thick and hearty, it didn't crumble or fold. It draped over the burger like the real deal.

And the taste. Flavorful and complex, it has the creamy richness of its dairy brethren. As far as comparisons, it's probably closest to muenster or Gouda. Best of all, unlike almost any other cheese alternative (except maybe Kite Hill), this product stands on its own. It's tasty straight out of the package, without having to be added to a dish or paired with something else.
More: Field Roast's Chao Slices the Best Vegan Cheese You'll Ever Have | Miami New Times (Nov. 19 2014)

It says Chao has so far been available only at Whole Foods, but is going to appear in other stores too this year.

Edit: Rumour has it that it's already available at a non-Whole Foods store.

Last edited: