Cat and dog food?

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Not about feeding vegan, but what do you all feed your dogs and cats?

I'm interested in cat food, but thought it would be good to expand on the subject.
I now have 7 cats, and had been buying Diamond grain free dry from Chewy with occasional can food.
Since Mimi had her surgery she's only been eating canned (she had a ear polyp removed that was causing chronic infections, and doing fine now!). Her most favorite, as all the cats that like canned, is Sheba, esp the divided twin packs. They go for about .70-.80 cents each! To top that they're in plastic which has BPA. Most cans plastic or metal are bpa except for few like Merrick

Then there are the refrigerated ones like Freshpet l know nothing about.
Of course my budget is crazy tight now :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Not too long ago, I discovered Aldi's canned cat food is grain free, and buying that instead of what we were buying (which was not grain free) will save us about $1,200 per year, so I made the switch. They like it.

I've always tried to push the wet food, for urinary tract health among other concerns. We go through about 32 cans a day (the large cat food cans, not the small ones), so cost is a definite factor.

ETA: I switched the dogs to Aldi canned food too.

• Disagree
Not too long ago, I discovered Aldi's canned cat food is grain free, and buying that instead of what we were buying (which was not grain free) will save us about $1,200 per year, so I made the switch. They like it.

I've always tried to push the wet food, for urinary tract health among other concerns. We go through about 32 cans a day (the large cat food cans, not the small ones), so cost is a definite factor.

ETA: I switched the dogs to Aldi canned food too.
Hah! just bought 3 small cans. The small cans were .45 and the large were .35. I didn't have my glasses and couldn't find mag thing in my purse so l went with small

• Disagree
For dry food, we've been buying Kirkland, the Costco house brand. I've been buying the version that has rice in it, but they also have a grain free version, and I have to get some of that now that Merrybell, my sister's diabetic cat, has gotten limber enough to jump on the table in the part of the house where she lives. (The dry food was up on the table to keep it away from Merrybell, so we can manage her diet.)

i just picked up a bag of grain free from Aldi, to tide us over until I can get to Costco, but the bags are tiny for our household, and I'm pretty sure I can get grain free cheaper at Costco.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vegan Dogs and Val
Jer gets this refrigerated slice-&-serve stuff for Mojo....

Jer's mother used to feed it to Mojo when she was alive. I'm not sure what dry kibble he has now.

As far as the cats go, the vet actually recommended Friskies wet canned food (inexpensive, yay!).... And I've been getting food/supplies for the beasties, too, so I now get coupons. ;) Kroger has their own brands (Luvsome & Abound), so I grab that stuff when needed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vegan Dogs and Val
Mimi did love the Aldi food! Of course it's in a bpa lined can, but so few don't contain bpa :mad:. Although I can't blame it for the others cancers as they never ate canned food.

Freshpet- that's the one I want to look into. I have no idea the cost
I wonder how cooking real meat is for cats? I don't see it happening, but after everything I do wonder :oops:

• Disagree
My last Cavalier died while I was in the UK. He was too old for the journey and G couldn't travel either this year. We are now left with the two young Beagles who have two meals day. That's a tin of Winalot (4% meat) in the morning and various brands of dry food (14% meat) in the evening. As any Beagle owner will tell you, "You can't fill a Beagle". They would probably eat the food and the tin, if we let them. They just don't care what brand we buy.We were giving them one home-made vegan meal a day plus a tin but life is just too hectic at the moment for us to make our own dog food but we would like to go back to doing that.

Freshpet- that's the one I want to look into. I have no idea the cost
I wonder how cooking real meat is for cats? I don't see it happening, but after everything I do wonder
I'm not sure how much Jer pays for the FreshPet at Walmart (I'll ask)... and my Kroger doesn't carry it.

Every once in a great while he buys some chicken & just boils the crap out of it, lets it cool, then shreds it up for the beasties.... and my god, do they go craaaazy!! LMAO :woo:

• Disagree
My cat has a very sensitive stomach. He pukes on grocery store stuff so he eats sensitive wet food by royal canin at Petsmart.

• Disagree