Canada's food guide

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Canada has a new Food Guide out and it is interesting... I haven't read it all, just the summary here on CBC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-food-guide-unveil-1.4987261

healthy-plate-proportions.jpg

Here is a link directly to the Food Guide itself.

Some more steps forward....

Emma JC

Reactions: Sax and Lou
Did I? that was so last week.... lol I couldn't find where I did that and it was just released today. hmmmm

Emma JC

Nope, not the same report - that one, the other day was "The report was organized by EAT, a Stockholm-based non-profit seeking to improve the food system".

Today's was Canada's Food Guide, equivalent to the USDA Food Guide/Pyramid which was updated last in 2005. Canada's previous Food Guide was 2007 so it will be interesting to see if/when the US update theirs. Hopefully not while this administration is in power or it will just have hamberders on it. :scream:

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot
Oh, me bad.

In my defense, I was led astray by it being on Canadian TV.

You gave me a good idea for a good parody. Maybe a poster. The Trump Food Pyramid. Or The Trump Plate*

Hamberders would make up most of the plate. Covfefe would be off the side. A Trump Steak on the top and next to it some Trump wine. Maybe a bowl of soybeans and some popcorn for the farmer's who aren't getting their subsidies this month.

*the new USDA Food Pyramid is called "MyPlate".

• Haha
Reactions: Sax and Emma JC
Oh, me bad.

In my defense, I was led astray by it being on Canadian TV.

You gave me a good idea for a good parody. Maybe a poster. The Trump Food Pyramid. Or The Trump Plate*

Hamberders would make up most of the plate. Covfefe would be off the side. A Trump Steak on the top and next to it some Trump wine. Maybe a bowl of soybeans and some popcorn for the farmer's who aren't getting their subsidies this month.

*the new USDA Food Pyramid is called "MyPlate".

We do have more than one station in Canada... o_O

Don't forget the KFC on the Pyramid!

Emma JC

We do have more than one station in Canada... o_O

Don't forget the KFC on the Pyramid!

Emma JC

I knew that Canada had more than one station. Actually, i don't know what I was thinking. Oh, wait. I probably wasn't thinking at all.

YES! KFC goes on the top of the Trump Food Pyramid.

Reactions: Emma JC
The most interesting area that is missing from the picture above is milk. It has had its own separate category in our Food Guides for years and it is now not even mentioned.

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
pretty good!

definite improvement on most government dietary recommendations, especially with regards to dairy.

Reactions: Emma JC
I think it's a huge step for Canada, but you gotta wonder, do people ever follow these things? My dysfunctional family made sure we had five servings of meat a day. I don't know anyone that's followed the Canada Food Guide, ever. This new guide, however, does send a good message that veggies and plant-based proteins are worth eating. Oh, and most importantly, dairy ain't so great. Kudos!

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
Habits are bound to change - I remember the Food Guide being presented in school when I was a small child and milk was such a prominent part of it. The indoctrination started early.

Emma JC

Here in the USA the stuff the Milk Board and the USDA do is ... criminal.

Milk is heavily subsidized for school lunches. Teachers used to receive free posters for their classrooms promoting milk. and even would get free lesson plans on nutrition where they would sneak in a section on milk.

yup, and I was just listening to Kamala Harris speech about her ideas for the USA and although Health Care was emphasized "Health" was not and it would be such a great change to hear a politician in any country promote good health by way of diet changes - so it will be interesting to see if any of our Canadian politicians make that part of their platform as we have federal elections coming up here by the end of the year - there is less incentive, though, when our health care is paid for although it would be a great way to reduce any deficits

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou