Vegan "Cakey" pancakes

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I haven't liked the recipes with flax or starches to sub for eggs. I changed up the one from the Joy of Cooking with silken tofu, and it's perfect!
I like them high and more "cakey" than flap-jackey.

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix in bowl.

1 1/2 cup water
1/2 cup silken tofu (I had firm)
2 Tbls. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbls. oil
Whisk together till well blended, then mix with dry ingredients

I use a seasoned cast iron lightly oiled for these. They really didn't bubble, but do rise.

These are sooo good with the apple sautee I'm posting now...

I'm wondering--would pumpkin puree (canned) work the same if subbed for the tofu?
I may try that tomorrow....

Here's the apple sautee--- mod. from allrecipes:

4 apples peeled and sliced
4 teaspoons vegan margarine or coconut (or both)
Sautee a bit while mixing-
1/2 cup cold water with-
2 teaspoons corn starch
Add-
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons (or more) cinnamon or any mix of allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.
Cook together till thickened and apples softened.
How long is dependent on apple variety.

Just like apple pie without the crust! Flour can be subbed but I think you'd need more..

Hmmmm...interesting. I used tofu a few times and found the pancakes to be chewy. I'm going to try again using your measurements...I like light and cakey pancakes too.

I'm wondering--would pumpkin puree (canned) work the same if subbed for the tofu?
I may try that tomorrow....

I made pancakes yesterday and I used pumpkin puree instead of tofu..............................

They came out great!! I also had about 1/2 cup of leftover coconut milk which I threw in there because I didn't want it to go to waste.

I have a bad habit of not measuring my ingredients so the texture was not exactly cakey, but they were so, so good!

I thought I saw somewhere, here, about using seltzer/soda water in some recipe and I can't remember where I saw it...so of course I had to throw some seltzer into the mix too, lol.:blush:
And I wonder why my stuff never comes out the same way, twice. :innocent:

But I have to say, they were probably the tastiest pancakes I ever had! :)

ETA: uh, found where I saw the recipe using soda water...never mind! :D

Reactions: ledboots