Brown rice with hulls-help!

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I bought a 8 lb. bag of organic brown basmati rice and many grains still have their hulls. It feels like biting into glass.
I've been manually picking them out, with tweezers, before cooking!
They don't seem to float, and they're encased so they don't shake off either.

Has anyone else had this?
Any tips?
It was a popular brand at the Asian store too- either Deer or Deep.

If the rice has the hulls attached to the grain, I would imagine that it hasn't been processed correctly. If you eat too many hulls, you'll most probably get an indigestion.

I would suggest that you take the bag back to the store.

I don't feel I can take it back now. I couldn't possibly eat them- it's like biting glass.
No tips for sorting them out?
I literally spread them out on a plate and pick the hulled ones out.
I will never again try and save .50 cents a pound! The rice is very though.

I don't feel I can take it back now. I couldn't possibly eat them- it's like biting glass.
No tips for sorting them out?
I literally spread them out on a plate and pick the hulled ones out.
I will never again try and save .50 cents a pound! The rice is very though.

If you really have a lot of grains with the hulls still attached, I can't see how you' re going to get them off. Using a tweezer will take you a life time. :D

Is there any reason why you think it's too late to take the bag back ? Couldn't you call the store and ask ?:)

I should have done that to begin with. I've had it a couple of months already. I procrastinated after the second batch because it's so out of my way, and the people there are pretty limited in english.
I just went through a cup and 1/2. Yeah, ridiculous!
Really hoping for some trick!

I should have done that to begin with. I've had it a couple of months already. I procrastinated after the second batch because it's so out of my way, and the people there are pretty limited in english.
I just went through a cup and 1/2. Yeah, ridiculous!
Really hoping for some trick!

I'm sorry ! Is that $4 down the drain ? :(