Breakfast ideas please

ZeeW

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi,

I'm transitioning to becoming a vegan and my progress is going really well. However, I'm struggling for breakfast ideas.

I need to make my breakfast the night before and take it into work Monday through to Friday. I can heat food at work and I have a thermos food flask that I can use.

At present I'm making smoothies and drinking those, but I'd like something more substantial with some slow released carbs.

So any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks

Welcome to the vegan world. I find it easier than being a veggie, you will find that your tastebuds work better and food becomes more tasty and interesting. I have Kellogg's Fruit'n'Fibre with oat milk for breakfast, It's nice and filling (I have a big bowl) and keeps me going until lunchtime. You could keep the milk cold in the flask. It depends what kind of job you have, whether you have a desk or table where you can eat, or if you are on the move. Maybe smoothies and cereal bars are the answer.

Thanks for the tips. Thats exactly what I'm looking for something that will keep me full until lunch. Smoothies are a great idea. IS it possible to get enough slow released carbs via a smoothie???

Hi ZeeW,

I am new to this forum but have been exploring vegan and vegetarian *food* for some years now and hope I can help! I love breakfasts so can recommend a really simple *framework* which will make it so easy for you to explore the different options on your own.

Take one carb product:
- cook for the whole week a big tapper-ware of either millet, quinoa, buckwheat, rice, oats, barley (you can add coconut oil to it as it cooks for a creamier texture, an omega 3 boost, and delicate coco flavour), store in the fridge for up to a week and take out a portion for your breakfast, heat up with a little bit of plant milk or water.

Add fruit:
- best are bananas, but berries work really well, and also citrus fruit if you're a fan!

Add seeds:
- pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia, nuts... or nut butter, yum.

Add sweeteness:
- I love date syrup, but can add agave, xylitol, honey or even unrefined sugar.

That way your breakkie is full of vitamins, minerals, good fats, protein and slow release carbs. Super easy and fast and very versatile - you just grab what you have in your kitchen cupboard, go to work and eat away.

*(can also make savoury by adding tofu and soy sauce... hummus or roasted veggies)

Good luck with the great explorations!

Attachments

• quinoa.png
    quinoa.png
    693.1 KB · Views: 2
Great ideas! Don't forget honey isn't vegan. ;)

For me, I'm a savoury-breakfast kind of person. I always start with seeing what leftovers there are, but I know that might not sound like an inspiring way to start the day! Or I like this sort of thing:

Reactions: aniamajek
Great ideas! Don't forget honey isn't vegan. ;)

For me, I'm a savoury-breakfast kind of person. I always start with seeing what leftovers there are, but I know that might not sound like an inspiring way to start the day! Or I like this sort of thing:

Absolutely peeps, honey is a no-go for vegans! I'm not even fully vegetarian, so replace with maple syrup if desired :)

Porridge with coconut milk is nice with a few bananas, takes minutes to make and its really cheap. Also Banna and peanut butter in a tortilla wrap is good slow release too, just spread and literally role up your Banna super easy and tastes lush

Hi everyone ) I'm fond of whole grain cereals with some juice and nuts and fruits :)

I have oats with almond milk, peanut butter and banana, mango and sunflower seeds. But I have put all this in to my nutri bullet before and it's lush also.

I am guilty of having a 'not so healthy' breakfast if I am in a hurry- such as a crumpet or a bagel with vegan butter.
I think my all time favourite snack/brunch has to be good old beans on toast.

I've started doing weekend brunches- toast, vegan sausages, vegan bacon, beans, hash browns, mushrooms and toast. Delicious. Not that healthy either if fried. But I do oven bake them mostly... :D

Sounds yummy Blueberry. Which is tricky for me as I keep trying to do Raw Til Four! :confused:

Have some toast with nut or seed butter, beans on toast, a bagel with soy cream cheese and sliced fresh vegetables or vegetable juice. Eat leftovers from dinner, baked white or sweet potato, steamed edamame and noodles.
Cheers

Hi,

I'm transitioning to becoming a vegan and my progress is going really well. However, I'm struggling for breakfast ideas.

I need to make my breakfast the night before and take it into work Monday through to Friday. I can heat food at work and I have a thermos food flask that I can use.

At present I'm making smoothies and drinking those, but I'd like something more substantial with some slow released carbs.

So any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks

I like making a homemade granola which is great with a bowl of fresh berries and fruit or just by itself with some almond mlyk. Check out how to make it here

I usually make a huge batch of healthy vegan bars - coconut oil/maple syrup/nut butter/oats/sunflower seeds and loads of nuts. Put them in the fridge and you have a filling and healthy breakfast to grab on the go