Hello from Illinois

I love oatmeal for breakfast. It keeps me going until lunchtime. And I've developed a super-easy way of making it - not much more effort than making a cup of coffee. It's also very economical in terms of mess and things that need washing up afterwards. It's my favourite morning ritual once I get in to work - the zen of oatmeal, and it goes like this:

Simply fill a coffee cup with oats, about 60-70% full. You can optionally add a few raisins for extra sweetness. Then pour on boiling hot water almost to the top - I get this from our hot water boiler at work which is really intended for tea and coffee making. Then stir, and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes until the oats have soaked up most of the water. Then serve with fortified soya milk (i.e. has added vitamins and calcium) - add a little as you go as the cup will be quite full to start with. I also eat a banana on the side which adds sweetness.

I have no idea how many calories this makes, or if it's helpful for weight loss, though!

Welcome to VV!

Tahini has very little sodium. Miso is high in sodium, but there are apparently studies out there that indicate that the sodium in miso has a different effect on the body than other types of sodium. If you google it, you will find that the general belief is that the various health benefits of miso far outweigh any negative wrt sodium. Other than the above-mentioned salad dressing, I use miso in some cooking as a seasoning, so I don't consume a lot of it. In the summer, I eat it the most frequently, because I tend to have a few days a week where my major meal of the day is a large salad consisting of leafy greens, numerous fresh vegetables and fruit, chickpeas or some other protein, and seeds/nuts, with some fresh baked bread. That dressing is very satisfying with that kind of salad.

Others here are more informed than I am; frankly, I don't pay that much attention to nutritional details. My general attitude toward food is that if I eat a varied diet, am reasonable in avoiding excessive amounts of fats and refined sugars, I 'll be O.K. healthwise. That's stood me in good stead all my life even before going veg about three decades ago. I've never used much salt in cooking, since I prefer other spices, herbs and seasonings. For example, the only dish in which I routinely use salt is mashed potatoes and fried potatoes.

IOW, I'm not the person to answer much in the way of specific nutritional information, because I 've never paid much attention. :p

Reactions: KLS52 and Rob206
I love oatmeal for breakfast. It keeps me going until lunchtime. And I've developed a super-easy way of making it - not much more effort than making a cup of coffee. It's also very economical in terms of mess and things that need washing up afterwards. It's my favourite morning ritual once I get in to work - the zen of oatmeal, and it goes like this:

Simply fill a coffee cup with oats, about 60-70% full. You can optionally add a few raisins for extra sweetness. Then pour on boiling hot water almost to the top - I get this from our hot water boiler at work which is really intended for tea and coffee making. Then stir, and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes until the oats have soaked up most of the water. Then serve with fortified soya milk (i.e. has added vitamins and calcium) - add a little as you go as the cup will be quite full to start with. I also eat a banana on the side which adds sweetness.

I have no idea how many calories this makes, or if it's helpful for weight loss, though!

Welcome to VV!

Yeah, oatmeal makes a great breakfast (or snack!)

Because I'm lazy, I put together a mix of quick cooking oatmeal, cinnamon, ginger, (and/or other spices - I vary it). I store that in a jar, so all I have to do is put some in a mug or bowl and pour boiling water over it. If the mood strikes, I add fruit or cacao or chocolate chips if I'm having a chocolate craving, and brwn sugar if I want extra sweetness.

I like thick rolled oats, and those are something I do buy organic. I like to just add water or almond milk with either a chopped apple microwaved enough to soften, maybe some currants or raisens, berries, and sometimes I'll add some date syrup. I like it better this way than cooked. And a tablespoon of ground flax, sometimes cinnamon

I do like salty things, and miso really helps that.
Miso is high in sodium, but is different enough that it's approved by Dr Greger- who shuns added salt
Shaking the Salt Habit | NutritionFacts.org

I love oatmeal. I bought a bag of Bob's red mill rolled oats, I'm bringing to work tomorrow along with almond milk and 3 different cereals I got from Fresh Thyme. Also bananas, oranges and grapefruit. Gonna give the salad a break for tomorrow until I get more variety for dressing.

I love oatmeal. I bought a bag of Bob's red mill rolled oats, I'm bringing to work tomorrow along with almond milk and 3 different cereals I got from Fresh Thyme. Also bananas, oranges and grapefruit. Gonna give the salad a break for tomorrow until I get more variety for dressing.
I go to a Fresh Thyme too! My second right after Aldi. I get their organic oats in the bulk section. I like that they have loose mushrooms and spices in bulk.

Reactions: Rob206 and Val
Welcome to the forum Rob! Others have made some great suggestions so I just have one bit to add.

I made a brief summary about nutrition here: Vegan Nutrition

If you want to learn more about nutrition in more depth, you can check out

1 – Vegan Health – Evidence-Based Nutrient Recommendations

2 – Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina (book)

They were major sources for me in writing the brief summary article.

Anyway, let us know if you have any questions!

Welcome to VV!

Hi Indian summer, that is a wonderful idea for preparing oatmeal. I'm actually making the transition for a vegan diet. I'm also creating a new YouTube channel. I'll be uploading content every week, including a vegan recipe on thursdays. Check my channel on Youtube: The vegan creation.

I hope you like it!!

Hi everyone,
I've been wanting to change my lifestyle for a long time. I think the time has come. I'm as heavy as I've ever been at 193. And I know my triglycerides and cholesterol are not good. Last blood work I had my liver enzymes showed signs of a fatty liver. I ate a lot of fast food the last 2 years going through a divorce. I was always skinny so I ate whatever I wanted. So January 16 I stopped fast food, soda and red meat. I bought 2 cookbooks. Forks and knives cookbook and the ultimate vegan cookbook. I spent probably 80 bucks on fruit and vegetables. Also got some cod and salmon as I transition. But meal prep was a pain and I think I needed some help. So I start Seattle sutton 1500 calorie vegetarian plan on Monday. I'm hoping this will show me what to eat so I can then plan my own meals.
I'm sure this won't be easy, but I need to get healthy. Any suggestions for books, magazines or information for people transitioning I appreciate

Hi Rob. It is amazing that you want to make some great changes in your life. I hope your health keeps improves dramatically. I would like to invite you to visit my new youtube channel: The vegan creation. It will cover all that you need to know about plant-based diets, health and nutrition.

I hope you like it!!

Hi Rob, welcome to VV. I don't know if this is any use to you, but I always add two Tablespoons of powdered flaxseed to my morning muesli for it's Omega 3 content.

Reactions: Val