Bloating Issues After Consuming smoothies!

According to her - she says not to combine vegetables with fruit as it causes bloating from what i can remember.

I'm not sure but I don't think that is true. but it IS something to think about if you are having bloating issues. I sometimes add greens to my smoothies - but not a lot - and have not had any issues.

Yeah I don't think it affects me personally - I've been having beetroot, blueberry and banana smoothies and haven't had an issue, I might try adding some broccoli next time or replicate the original posts recipe to see what happens.

Please popst the study(ies) that discredited food combining.
Each food has its' digestive needs. Fruit digests the fastest, then vegetables, and protein takes the longest.
Per the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians):

"There is no evidence that combining certain foods or eating foods at specific times of day will help with weight loss. Eating the "wrong" combinations of food doesn't cause them to turn to fat immediately or to produce toxins in your intestines, as some plans claim."

Link: Staying Away from Fad Diets

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W and silva
Per the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians):

"There is no evidence that combining certain foods or eating foods at specific times of day will help with weight loss. Eating the "wrong" combinations of food doesn't cause them to turn to fat immediately or to produce toxins in your intestines, as some plans claim."

Link: Staying Away from Fad Diets
I think there is real scientific evidence that cardio before breakfast is a proven strategy for weight loss. But I haven't looked it up.
The concept was that with nothing in your stomach and little glucose in your blood stream, if forces you body to metabolize fat -either in your cells in your muscle tissue.

Although in counter argument - its probably more the cardio than the timing

Hey guys, my two pennies worth, I've recently been making smoothies after coming across the green smoothie apparently originally being created by Victoria Boutenko in the 90's.

According to her - she says not to combine vegetables with fruit as it causes bloating from what i can remember.

She advocates using the dark leafy greens (i.e. just the leaves) in the smoothie with fruit like bananas and apples to sweeten things up.
Hey Guys, just a follow up - I've been eating broccoli straight after my smoothies and have been farting like a trooper (a bit like @LoreD ) although I don't feel bloated, is this the same thing?

I think it's partly or even mostly the bacteria that digest fiber that creates the gasses that causes farts and bloating.
when transitioning rapidly you end up with too much of those bacteria. As you transition, over time, you end up with a better balance of bacteria in your gut.

Reactions: vesper818
I think it's partly or even mostly the bacteria that digest fiber that creates the gasses that causes farts and bloating.
when transitioning rapidly you end up with too much of those bacteria. As you transition, over time, you end up with a better balance of bacteria in your gut.
In my case, I'm not transitioning though - I've always eaten fruits and vegetables just not as smoothies and not combined. When eating meals (vegetables) I don't eat fruits with it or immediately after it. When eating fruits, I don't eat vegetables with them or immediately after either. I am wondering though if it's specifically the Broccoli and Cauliflower that caused it. I'm not particularly bloated but have been farting as a result of the experiment. It's not a bother to me either, I find the release of air quite satisfying especially when audible (when in private)

Reactions: Lou
In my case, I'm not transitioning though - I've always eaten fruits and vegetables just not as smoothies and not combined. When eating meals (vegetables) I don't eat fruits with it or immediately after it. When eating fruits, I don't eat vegetables with them or immediately after either. I am wondering though if it's specifically the Broccoli and Cauliflower that caused it. I'm not particularly bloated but have been farting as a result of the experiment. It's not a bother to me either, I find the release of air quite satisfying especially when audible (when in private)

Raw broccoli and cauliflower are very hard to digest. I always consume them lightly cooked. If you wish to add some greens to smoothies, perhaps raw spinach and/or kale would be kinder on your digestive system.

Oh! you know both broccoli and cauliflower are high in sulfur. That could be the bloating and farting thing,

They also have the same types of sugar that makes beans gassy.
I don't get gassy from beans, but I sure do from both raw broccoli and cauliflower!
Sulpher is what makes meat so stinky gassy. At least with veggies its fleeting and not strong. There's only a few veggies I eat raw--unless they're in salad or cole slaw, I think the fats manage the gassy effects?

Reactions: Roy R
ChatGPT AI writes this poem about beans:

Oh, healthy beans, so full of life,
Their goodness is beyond compare.
They fill us up with protein, too,
And keep us healthy, that's their due.

But oh, the farts that they produce,
A pungent scent that can't reduce.
It's not so cute, but don't you fear,
It's just a sign that health is near.

So eat your beans, with joy and glee,
And let the farts fly wild and free.
For though they may cause some dismay,
Healthy beans are here to stay!

Oh, my. Brave New World.
When Chat GBT comes with a "Grade Level Selector" all of the Writing teachers are in big trouble. I guess for the final they could just lock them in a room and make them use paper and pencil.
HA. Maybe it's time for Blue Books to make a return.

Oh, healthy beans, so full of life,
Their goodness is beyond compare.
They fill us up with protein, too,
And keep us healthy, that's their due.

But oh, the farts that they produce,
A pungent scent that can't reduce.
It's not so cute, but don't you fear,
It's just a sign that health is near.

So eat your beans, with joy and glee,
And let the farts fly wild and free.
For though they may cause some dismay,
Healthy beans are here to stay!
Because they're learning from omnivores 🤔
I have never experienced smelly gas worse than from eating meat. That and when ate an entire pan of rice krispie treats when I was pregnant.
Beans have never given me issues

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
Because they're learning from omnivores 🤔
I have never experienced smelly gas worse than from eating meat. That and when ate an entire pan of rice krispie treats when I was pregnant.
Beans have never given me issues
I specifically instructed ChatGPT to write a poem about beans and farts. Because farts generally don't smell good, it's no surprise that ChatGPT wrote what it did.

Reactions: Lou
I asked ChatGPT to write a poem about beans causing gas, but the gas not smelling bad:

Beans, beans, they make us gaseous
Some may find it quite outrageous
But fear not, for there's no need to fret
The smell won't make anyone upset

For some, beans cause quite a stink
But not all farts are made alike, we think
These ones, they're different, you see
They're odorless, and that's the key

So go ahead, eat those beans with pride
Don't let anyone make you hide
The gas may come, but don't you fret
For with these beans, there's no smell to regret

And if someone gives you a funny look
Just smile and give them the good news
These beans may make us a bit flatulent
But at least the smell is non-existent!

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
I think it might be a good idea simply to sip very slowly and allow some time in the mouth before swallowing. It might be liquid but it still needs to be digested.