Bloating Issues After Consuming smoothies!

PlantbasedNewbie

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Raw vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
Mom's bloating from my morning veggie smoothies, how should I help her?

My mom has been bloating for the last 4 days, I've given her my morning smoothies with berries, flax seed, chia seeds, broccoli, kale, banana, etc. My dad and I have no problems with this, maybe because men don't suffer from as much digestive issues as women. How can I fix this? She isn't vegan, so I try to make her eat at least some fruits and vegetables, but it's having a bad effect on her.

I have had problems with flax in the past. The fartathon that happened after I drank a flax weight loss drink, back in the 80's was truly memorable.

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
Bloating issues are usually associated with fiber.
Most Americans eat below the mRDA of fiber.
Most Vegans eat way more, and adjusting to the extra fiber takes time.

Try taking out the seeds, brocolie and Kale. See how she does with that and then slowly, gradually, and incrementally add them back in again.

My mom has been bloating for the last 4 days, I've given her my morning smoothies with berries, flax seed, chia seeds, broccoli, kale, banana, etc. My dad and I have no problems with this, maybe because men don't suffer from as much digestive issues as women. How can I fix this? She isn't vegan, so I try to make her eat at least some fruits and vegetables, but it's having a bad effect on her.
That's a heck of a smoothie even for me, and I'm used to a lot of fiber--the broccoli would easily put me over the edge, esp in the morning!
Not a male/female thing, but a gut biome thing. It takes time to adjust from one kind of diet digest to another. Increasing fiber should be done slowly

I have ground golden flaxseeds, a heaping Tbls, every day. Twice I got the brown ones and they gave me terrible stomach trouble. Just an analogy though, I haven't heard anyone else with that problem, they should be the same

That's a heck of a smoothie even for me, and I'm used to a lot of fiber--the broccoli would easily put me over the edge, esp in the morning!
Not a male/female thing, but a gut biome thing. It takes time to adjust from one kind of diet digest to another. Increasing fiber should be done slowly

Other than a few small pieces of broccoli in frozen veggies I have completely stopped eating it as I find it just too much for my system. Not sure why but cutting it out has made my body much happier.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Me? I love broccoli and eat it 2 - 4 times a week in my dinners. Kale I hardly ever eat. And I'm Not a big fan of green smoothies. When I make a fruit smoothie I do add some flax seed.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Me? I love broccoli and eat it 2 - 4 times a week in my dinners. Kale I hardly ever eat. And I'm Not a big fan of green smoothies. When I make a fruit smoothie I do add some flax seed.
Same on the broccoli. I so love the stuff! I love kale, too, and I've been trying to get more greens in my diet, so I added good handful into a mostly fruit smoothie, and it was great. I didn't taste the kale, which was a good. I made the smoothie with unsweetened almond milk, a banana, half a cup of blueberries and a TBSP of peanut butter plus the kale. It was tasty.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Broccoli may be my favorite veg--cooked! I do not like it raw, and it does give me stomach upset if I have more than like shreds in a salad
What really upsets me is raw zucchini
My favorite smoothie is berries, pineapple, ginger, kale, ground flax, and a date or two. If I have kale I like dates

I've just had a massive smoothie all to myself. I included cucumber, celery, spring greens, beetroot, frozen berries, beet juice and koko milk. Its good to include some green leafy veg as chlorophyll converts easily into haemoglobin, just swap the magnesium atom in the centre for an iron atom otherwise the molecule is identical. Also raw fruit and veg contain loads of enzymes. The advantage with cooked plant foods is that cooking releases nutrients from inside the cell wall so its best to consume half of your fruit and veg cooked plus half raw fruit and veg. I sometimes make vegetable soup in a soup maker and its better to use frozen veg as its fresher and you don't need to wash it. Its best to add hot not cold water before lowering in the blades otherwise you have a frozen lump of veg to deal with.

Hi, she may need some daily probiotics to help with her digestion, like 20-50 billion potency in a capsule per meal. I food combine, and banana and
nuts/seeds are not a good combination. Banana are a sweet fruit that does not do well with berries either. Also, I would suggest SOAKING the flax or chia seeds in water for 6 or more hours before putting them in a smoothie. She my do better with vegan protein powder, such as by sun warrior. see---

• Disagree
Reactions: David3 and silva
Just increase her fruit and veg in other ways. Some nice steamed veg with her main meal and fruit afterwards, a salad or soup. It's more natural than blending it all up in a smoothie which can release the sugars too quickly. I can't tolerate smoothies - they give me a massive headache and nausea.

Reactions: David3 and bEt
Hi, she may need some daily probiotics to help with her digestion, like 20-50 billion potency in a capsule per meal. I food combine, and banana and
nuts/seeds are not a good combination. Banana are a sweet fruit that does not do well with berries either. Also, I would suggest SOAKING the flax or chia seeds in water for 6 or more hours before putting them in a smoothie. She my do better with vegan protein powder, such as by sun warrior. see---

I am not sure where you are getting this info however just from my own personal experience I disagree completely... I have berries and bananas combined at least 4 times per week along with some walnuts.

As for flax and chia seeds, both should be ground before adding to anything.

IMO

Emma JC

I am not sure where you are getting this info however just from my own personal experience I disagree completely... I have berries and bananas combined at least 4 times per week along with some walnuts.

IMO

Emma JC
That chart is bs and the 'food combining' has been discredited.

IMO

Emma JC
Some humans can miscombine foods and have no problems. I for one consistently find that proper
food combining, and probiotics, help tremendously. For instance, eating watermelon, raisins, and
nuts together would be very hard on my digestion.

That chart is bs and the 'food combining' has been discredited.
Please popst the study(ies) that discredited food combining.
Each food has its' digestive needs. Fruit digests the fastest, then vegetables, and protein takes the longest.

I hope that she feels okay.
Does she like sauerkraut as the acid and enzymes can help with digestion?
All those good vitamins in the smoothie should ideally be digested effectively.

Please popst the study(ies) that discredited food combining.
Each food has its' digestive needs. Fruit digests the fastest, then vegetables, and protein takes the longest.

Hey guys, my two pennies worth, I've recently been making smoothies after coming across the green smoothie apparently originally being created by Victoria Boutenko in the 90's.

According to her - she says not to combine vegetables with fruit as it causes bloating from what i can remember.

She advocates using the dark leafy greens (i.e. just the leaves) in the smoothie with fruit like bananas and apples to sweeten things up.

• Disagree
Reactions: silva and David3