Black bean-sweet potato chili

hopeful

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Black Bean-Sweet Potato Chili
The black bean and sweet potato chili is amazing. It is from the cookbook "Modern Jewish Cooking," which my wife borrowed from the library about a year and a half ago. I have made it probably eight times, and it is so good. It calls for onions, which I omit because my wife can't eat them. Here are the ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped (which I omitted)
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 TBSP brown sugar
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I used 2 last time, and before that I used garlic infused oil and omitted the garlic cloves)
1 TBSP plus 1 1/2 TSP of chili powder (I have never used this, as we don't have it and I don't think my wife can eat it)
1 1/2 TSP ground cumin
1 TBSP cocoa powder
1/4 TSP cayenne powder
1 14 1/2 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes (I used a can of diced tomatoes each time, and it saved me a step later)
2 TBSP balsamic vineagar
2 15 1/2 oz cans of black beans, liquid reserved
1/2 cup water (I actually just used all of the liquid from the beans instead of water)
2 TSP salt (I never add this)

Steps:
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, sweet potato, and brown sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften slightly, about 8-12 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, and cayenne, and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.

2. Pour the tomatoes with their juice into a large bowl and gently squeeze with your hands until they burst. Stir the tomatoes and their juices into the pot along with the vinegar, black beans, 1/2 cup reserved bean liquid, and water. (Or use the canned diced tomatoes and all bean liquid without water.) (Be carful, because the steam when you add the tomatoes is acidic smelling. I add the rest of the ingredients quickly after so it doesn't smell so acidic for the moment.) Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low, partially covered, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 15-25 minutes. Stir in salt if desired.