Beyond Meat Burgers

If you all are talking "sausage" , anyone ever do up some Field Roast? Its the best imo...(Beyond is pretty good...but depth of flavor goes to the FR for my taste) I do sweet onion, bell peppers (red and green) 5 ish cloves of garlic, a tin of fire roasted diced tomatoes and then reduce down with stock. Brown up the Field Roast in a different pan and add it back the last 15 of simmering the onions and peppers. Serve over Edamame pasta or rice, etc.

Italian Garlic & Fennel | Field Roast

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I've only tried the field roast maple breakfast sausage...it was okay but the sweet overpowers the savory. I'll give their other stuff a shot sometime.

Reactions: Dougrus
To follow up:

This article talks about it in depth.

This from Harvard health is a little more succinct.

TLDR: From a health perspective, Impossible/Beyond (Pea-isolate type products), are about as "bad" for you as a regular burger. High in saturated fats and additionally are higher in processed stuff than regular meat. So, seems like, as vegans, we should watch how much we eat of it the same way a carnivore should watch their red meat consumption. The benefits however, are there vs red meat consumption. Of course no animals were harmed in the process which is a big win but additionally, the impact on the environment is significantly less than beef. Ill quote the article... “Beyond Burger generates 90% less greenhouse gas emissions, requires 46% less energy, has more than 99% less impact on water scarcity and has 93% less impact on land use than a quarter pound of U.S. beef.” That’s a huge difference and one that our planet desperately needs! Similar results have been discovered with the Impossible Burger, showing that this type of food product has an 89 percent small carbon footprint “than a burger made from real beef.” On top of that, the Impossible Burger “reduces environmental impacts in every category studied, resulting in use of 87% less water, 96% less land, 89% fewer greenhouse gas emissions and 92% fewer aquatic pollutants.”

As long as you are eating well in most other ways, I think it is a good thing and can't hurt to consume in moderation.

I've only tried the field roast maple breakfast sausage...it was okay but the sweet overpowers the savory. I'll give their other stuff a shot sometime.
I really like the Italian Garlic and Fennel. I slice it up and then brown it in a sauté pan for maximum brown surface area. I also would like to try the Mexican chorizo style one but have not seen it in my local grocery stores.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I don’t remember if I liked field roast all that much. I know I tried them. I think I always stuck with Tofurky sausage original flavor because I could only get field roast apple Sage I don’t like those.
I do think the beyond is the best, tasting the most like real pork sausage from what I remember. I wasn’t a big fan of sausage but I definitely like plant based better. I also don’t like fennel.
Edited to say I wasn’t a big fan of pork sausage. I accidentally typed was. Although I don’t think it was really my error lol. #autocorrectsucks

Last edited:
If you all are talking "sausage" , anyone ever do up some Field Roast? Its the best imo...(Beyond is pretty good...but depth of flavor goes to the FR for my taste) I do sweet onion, bell peppers (red and green) 5 ish cloves of garlic, a tin of fire roasted diced tomatoes and then reduce down with stock. Brown up the Field Roast in a different pan and add it back the last 15 of simmering the onions and peppers. Serve over Edamame pasta or rice, etc.

Italian Garlic & Fennel | Field Roast

Field Roast are definitely our favourite. They are meaty enough that we can have just one, each, and feel very satisfied and that means each package is 2 meals. We always have them in the freezer, Italian, Chipotle and Apple Sage and we love them all. I have tried a few others and they just don't compare.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

My Very Favorite is the Field Roast Apple Sage. I haven't done this in a while but I used to take one, wrap it in a tortilla, and microwave it. I would then add add mustard and sauerkraut.

I don't like spicy stuff that much so I am no a big fan of the Italian. but I use it in a lot of recipes where it asks to add an Italian sausage. I also use it on my homemade pizza.

I don't like the Frankfurters at all. I still haven't found a decent P/B hot dog. I did read in the article about Weinersntizel that Field Roast has a "Stadium Hot Dog". I don't know if they just have a different for it, or if its a different product of if its sold in stores.

I thought the breakfast sausage was pretty good too. I haven't tried the Chipotle - but I don't think I would like them.

Field Roast Chao is my favorite sliced cheese, too.

Reactions: Dougrus and Emma JC
I used to love field roast hot dogs the best but was turned off last time I made them. Not sure why. I’d rather have a plant based sausage if I’m craving something with mustard and maybe even sauerkraut.

Field Roast are definitely our favourite. They are meaty enough that we can have just one, each, and feel very satisfied and that means each package is 2 meals. We always have them in the freezer, Italian, Chipotle and Apple Sage and we love them all. I have tried a few others and they just don't compare.

Emma JC
Agreed. Havent had any that I like as much. Have you seen the Chorizo style one in your area? I cant seem to find it and that would be my jam for sure. I have not tried Beyond yet. I think because I dont like their mince nearly as much as Impossible. With Beyond's ground, I always perceive a fake smoke or something? Cant articulate it. But sausage IS a completely different thing... so was going to pick some up to try today or tomorrow to give a try.

I used to love field roast hot dogs the best but was turned off last time I made them. Not sure why. I’d rather have a plant based sausage if I’m craving something with mustard and maybe even sauerkraut.
That is my plan when I try the Beyond. Heaping sauerkraut and spicy brown. :)

Reactions: KLS52
Agreed. Havent had any that I like as much. Have you seen the Chorizo style one in your area? I cant seem to find it and that would be my jam for sure. I have not tried Beyond yet. I think because I dont like their mince nearly as much as Impossible. With Beyond's ground, I always perceive a fake smoke or something? Cant articulate it. But sausage IS a completely different thing... so was going to pick some up to try today or tomorrow to give a try.

in Canada we don't have Chorizo it is Mexican Chipotle style, I don't think they have Chorizo - we do not have a mince by them, I use Gardein for mince, not fond of Impossible for mince as the package is too large, with Gardein I can take out as little or as much as I like and it last 2 or 3 meals

Emma JC

I don’t remember if I liked field roast all that much. I know I tried them. I think I always stuck with Tofurky sausage original flavor because I could only get field roast apple Sage I don’t like those.
I do think the beyond is the best, tasting the most like real pork sausage from what I remember. I wasn’t a big fan of sausage but I definitely like plant based better. I also don’t like fennel.
Edited to say I wasn’t a big fan of pork sausage. I accidentally typed was. Although I don’t think it was really my error lol. #autocorrectsucks
I wasn't a big fan of sausage, either, but the fennel is what made me OK with it back in the day. :) I love making the Post Punk Kitchen recipe for vegan sausage, which includes red pepper flakes -- always a plus to have some extra kick. I tried Tofurky and Field Roast, and both left me feeling like something was missing. When I make them now, I love having them on a sub roll with sautéed onions and peppers and lots of mustard. It reminds me of the sausage grinders I used to get at Red Sox games. I will put chunks in chili and pasta dishes as well if I'm feeling the need for more protein. And they are great sliced thin on pizza.

I did try the Beyond Meat breakfast sausage patty at Dunkin' Donuts not too long ago, though it galls me to have to pay full price when I order it without all the nonveg*n stuff, lol. It was pretty tasty and didn't have the sometimes too-sweetness of other breakfast sausage. Gardein's breakfast sausage patty is pretty good, too.

in Canada we don't have Chorizo it is Mexican Chipotle style, I don't think they have Chorizo - we do not have a mince by them, I use Gardein for mince, not fond of Impossible for mince as the package is too large, with Gardein I can take out as little or as much as I like and it last 2 or 3 meals

Emma JC
Oh maybe that is what I am thinking of...Mexican Chipotle style....

Reactions: Emma JC
I had the Field Roast italian garlic and fennel with my pasta tonight. It was good! Flavorful and browns up well, doesn't stick and crumble like I thought it might.
Sweet man! Glad it worked out...That is my go to for sausage peppers and onions!

Tomorrow Im going to buy the beyond and some extra large size hot dog rolls...pile some kraut and spicy brown mustard....and idk I think maybe a Pilsner for adult beverage....go full out on my German heritage! :D

Last edited:
I had the Field Roast italian garlic and fennel with my pasta tonight. It was good! Flavorful and browns up well, doesn't stick and crumble like I thought it might.

that's what I really like about Field Roast - you can brown them up and serve them whole with sauerkraut as a main, in a bun with the fixings, slice them or crumble them, like I do on pizza

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and Dougrus
Revisited the Beyond Sausage last night (was on sale at the local market)....cut it in smaller pieces it browned up beautifully. Then did like a standard peppers and onion sauté and cooked it down a long time in some stock. Added the meat back in about 15 min remaining (not sure how long the plant based meat holds up to a long cook). Have to say, it is really good. Definitely richer and fattier than the Field Roast (pea protein based vs. seitan). Still think the FR tastes a bit better on its own but IN something like this dish I think it is superior because of the texture and body. Definitely not a health food though... lol. Put it on Portuguese rolls with a little veganase and a dash a brown mustard.

Attachments

• IMG-1553.jpg
    IMG-1553.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
1a : food especially : solid food as distinguished from drink
b : the edible part of something as distinguished from its covering (such as a husk or shell)

2 : animal tissue considered especially as food:
a : flesh sense 2b also : flesh of a mammal as opposed to fowl or fish
b : flesh sense 1a specifically : flesh of domesticated animals

3 archaic : meal entry 1 sense 1 especially : dinner

4a : the core of something : heart
b : pith sense 2b a novel with meat

5 : favorite pursuit or interest

Source
[/QUOTE]

Actually, the term "almond milk" has been in use for over 700 years. A French cookbook from 1300 gives a recipe using soaked almonds ground in a mortar and pestle, add water, then strain through cheesecloth. Cookbooks from 1430 and 1450 also refer to "almond milk."

As coconut milk is a valid term for a long time needing no change for clarification milk certainly would have more meanings than milk derived from animals. I use plant-based milks, and though it is very rare I have any faux meat, I don't grudge those who have them a lot, if they manage that way not having anything from animals.