Beyond Meat Burgers

I did buy some Beyond Meat ground to use in a pasta dish, likely just use 1/2 the lb package for two. I was going to try their dinner sausage and also a couple of burgers but they was all sold out since they had a 20% off special this week. So for some burgers we bought the Maple Leaf 50/50 ground, which is advertised for the Flexitarians, 1/2 beef and 1/2 Lite Life PB ground. Other option would have been Field Roast burgers, good texture but has an after taste.

Anyway didn't buy any other meat for the week, just firm tofu for stir-fry and silken tofu for garden veg soups.

Meat used to mean food
The word meat is said to have originated from the Old Frisian word mete; Old Frisian is a Germanic-Dutch language that is still spoken in some places of the world today. ... It wasn't until the 14th century that meat took on a familiar meaning, namely, the edible flesh of animals.

The word meat comes from the Old English word mete, which referred to food in general. The term is related to mad in Danish, mat in Swedish and Norwegian, and matur in Icelandic and Faroese, which also mean 'food'

Also...in the bible...the word meat also was used to mean simply "food". Some things get "lost in translation

Anyone recognise this phrase ? "and i give you all the plants...they shall be meat for you"...some versions use the word FOOD others MEAT meaning food.

The 10 pack of Beyond Burgers I got at a great deal turned out to be the original version. Those weren't very good! I think I had them one time before getting the newer version, which I do like.

I tried the original "brat" Beyond Sausage because they were on-sale for labor day. Delicious! I love them better than the Beyond Burgers, very subtly spiceful (as opposed to hot n spicy, it's more like a mild fennel flavor) paired with sauteed onion and bell pepper on a French roll with my favorite local bbq sauce.

I tried the original "brat" Beyond Sausage because they were on-sale for labor day. Delicious! I love them better than the Beyond Burgers, very subtly spiceful (as opposed to hot n spicy, it's more like a mild fennel flavor) paired with sauteed onion and bell pepper on a French roll with my favorite local bbq sauce.
I've never understood calling the Italian sausages 'hot', but now I see Italian sweet sausage.
OMG, I so want pasta and sausage and vegan cheese! I believe I have my weekend dinner planned-have a tub of FYH parm unopened in fridge waiting

This week I bought BM sausage and patty's, found the sausage kind of grizzly texture and the patty's the same, didn't care for that and was over flavoured. Methylcellulose I think give BM it's chewy bits.

I prefer the Field Roast patty's and sausage, much better texture.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've added The Beet to my newsfeed and I'm really appreciating their news. Today they reported on a study that IMHO has some surprising results.

A couple of good quotes from the article.

“There’s been this sort of backlash against these new meat alternatives,” said Christopher Gardner, PhD, professor of medicine at the Stanford Prevention Research Center. “The question is, if you’re adding sodium and coconut oil, which is high in saturated fat, and using processed ingredients, is the product still actually healthy?” To find out, Gardner and his research team asked 30 individuals to follow two different diets for 16 weeks: One called for at least two servings of red meat a day, the other for two servings of plant-based meat a day.​

The study concluded: “Among generally healthy adults, contrasting plant with animal intake while keeping all other dietary components similar, the Plant products improved several cardiovascular disease risk factors, including TMAO; there were no adverse effects on risk factors from the Plant products.”​
So when you crave meat, choose plant-based options, but when you just want a bun with something healthy to bite into between the lettuce, tomato, and vegan cheese, head to the veggie burger in the frozen food aisle and get yourself a bean burger.​

So this article is very similar. And comes up with pretty much the same conclusion: Better than beef but not as good as beans.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
The bad about beef burgers is the size some people eat, huge or triple stacked. Yes the actual healthy burger is made from scratch using beans and veg.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
So fresh market didn’t have the beyond sausage but I am letting them substitute with the original brat. Has anyone had them? Are they anything like the sausage? I hope I don’t hate them.

This week I bought BM sausage and patty's, found the sausage kind of grizzly texture and the patty's the same, didn't care for that and was over flavoured. Methylcellulose I think give BM it's chewy bits.

I prefer the Field Roast patty's and sausage, much better texture.
IBM

UBM

We all BM

For IBM

So fresh market didn’t have the beyond sausage but I am letting them substitute with the original brat. Has anyone had them? Are they anything like the sausage? I hope I don’t hate them.

Do you mean the original brat vs. the hot italian? I prefer the original but they're both really good IMO.

Do you mean the original brat vs. the hot italian? I prefer the original but they're both really good IMO.
Original brat vs the sweet Italian. I’ve only had the sweet Italian so I’m hoping I will also like the brat and that it won’t be too different.

Reactions: silva
I guess, not being someone who was a fan of sausage, I don’t really know the difference between bratwurst and sausage. Beyond has both sweet and hot “sausage” and original “bratwurst”. I guess I’ll find out when I make it lol.
I googled and it seems it’s more a difference in seasoning.
8675146D-ED58-437A-A836-E94A96B013F8.jpeg31E16AC0-0095-4D57-A528-966CE15A8C14.jpegB0D37B7D-A869-4302-A9C8-DD8A33489830.jpeg

Original brat vs the sweet Italian. I’ve only had the sweet Italian so I’m hoping I will also like the brat and that it won’t be too different.
I love the hot Italian (which isn't hot) and the brats. I didn't care for the sweet Italian, but I think it was the fennel? Some kind of spice turned me off
I love the brats though I wouldn't compare them to what I remember brats being like--like those you'd put on the grill :shrug:

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I eat Impossible on the regular. It is plant based period. I hear some talk about well "you are fantasizing" about eating flesh so it is wrong or whatever. Just silly...Even when I was a meat eater, I didn't fantasize about eating meat...hell most folks don't have any clue about what meat they are eating or where it comes from. When I eat Impossible in my chili, I just like the texture it adds...dont think of it as meat or not meat.

Is pea-protein based meat healthy? Well I think it is certainly better than animal based products though I don't have the concrete data...Id have to to do more reading on specifics...But I didnt kill anything to eat it so is there anything else other than personal choice...not a moral choice at all.