Best vegan "bacon"

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I know that one of the most popular arguments meat eaters make is the ridiculous "mmm bacon" response, but it's really so easy to to make "vegan bacon."

Sure you can buy a specific product like Sweet Earth or Tofurky "bacon" but what if you don't want to spend that much money or can't find it near where you live?

It's super quick and easy to buy soy tempeh, just a regular classic block of it, and cut it into medium-to-thin long slices, marinate it in soy sauce (or tamari) with canola or olive oil. Then just pan fry well until it is is nice and crispy on both sides.

It tastes extraordinarily like bacon because of the grease of the oil, the saltiness of the soy sauce or tamari, and that undefinable savory "crispy" taste of pan fried protein. I don't know if it has something to do with the fermentation process of tempeh, because I've never noticed the same flavor with regular pan-fried tofu.

Easy sandwich:

1) Make tempeh "bacon" according to above directions

2) Spread an onion roll or favorite bun or bread with vegan butter (like Earth Balance) and toast under a broiler or in an old-fashioned toaster oven until butter is melted and roll is moderately toasted

3) Place fried tempeh on toasted bun and slather with your favorite barbecue sauce

That's it!

I really enjoy this because I'm from the American South originally (though I live in California now) and I grew up eating a lot of barbecue.

However, obviously it would be just as good as a B.L.T. or B.L.A.T. with some Vegenaise or other vegan mayo, lettuce, tomato and optional avocado, or for breakfast served along side a tofu scramble, vegan pancakes, or VeganEggs scrambled with veggies and/or vegan cheez (Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda is my favorite with the VeganEgg).

:)