Best processor for nuts?

Cath D

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hello lovely peeps, could anybody recommend a processor/blender for nuts? Mine's 30+ years old, and while its still pretty good, it can't process nuts smoothly. I need my ice cream fix!

Thanks

Yes, vegan "ice cream". Maybe I should have added the punctuation to start with. I could do with a blender or similar to process nuts to a smoother consistancy than mine does. Many vegan recipes include finely processed nuts, but alas mine end up "grainy". Hence my original question. Not a trick question at all

Reactions: TofuRobot
I use a Vitamix and do swear by its ability to do just about everything. I still am not sure what you mean by "consistency" of the nuts, l would think grainy may be the desired for nuts any more processing and you would be looking at powder or ultimately a butter?

Thanks. I'm looking for a smooth consistancy, like a smooth butter. Grainy is not good for desserts

There are specific nut butter grinders, some are very expensive, I saw this one advertised and the price is reasonable ( I have since removed this link as I didn't look closely at the product or the reviews)(thank you Windrose)
https://www.thehut.com/kitchen-appl...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNaSq9_569cCFYfRwAodmBkBKA
I have made almond butter in my food processor and it was a long process with lots of pauses to allow
the machine to cool down. The result was pretty smooth.

Emma JC

Last edited:
Well l don't think l would be buying the peanut butter machine in your link. I never add any oil to my nut butters but use the oils found in the nuts.
It rarely takes more than 8-10 mins in a Breville FP to make an 8 oz jar, it does get warm but that is when the oils are separated to homogenize the butter.
The vitamix will make it a bit faster but the clean up is a pain.

thank you Windrose - I have deleted the link in the message above as you are right, I would never add oil either and so the product is not worth linking to - it also has some negative reviews

8-10 minutes sounds great - my FP definitely took longer than that, delicious though!

Emma JC

One thing l learned very early is cheap appliances are just that. I have gone thru the "hi speed blenders" Osterizers etc and found the vitamix to be the cheapest, you will never need buy another. If on a tight budget then look for one on Craigslist. Lots of well intentioned Vegans have fallen and place their expensive tools for sale..usually very gently used.

Reactions: TofuRobot
The best food processor for nut butter will depend on your exact needs, but I believe the greatest value lies in the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup.
It works well, has a good warranty, and doesn’t dance about on your worktop when in use! Small touches such as the retractable cord and accessory box also show thought and care has gone into it’s manufacturing. Plus, it’s from a name you can trust too.

My local market has an industrial peanut butter maker. The machine is "pre-filled" with nuts. it turns it into smooth peanut butter. No added oils, salt or sugar. the peanuts may be a little more expensive than the ones at a big supermarket ( i haven't really compared). No machine to buy. and you can put your container under it and turn it on and go do a bit more shopping. but I don't think you should let the machine out of your sight.

Even better, recently they have put one of their employees to work and they make pints and half pints for you - so you don't have to wait at all. The peanut butter is just waiting for you.

I don't think this is totally uncommon among the "higher end" markets. Whole foods has a peanut butter maker and an almond butter maker. You put the peanuts and almonds in yourself. and you get them out of a bulk food bin. But is is whole foods so I expect the nuts to cost a little extra.

Now that I think about it, I should do some price comparisons.

Oh, and if you look around you should be able to find some pure nut butters in the grocery store. I got some cashew nut butter once. It was expensive - but its made from cashews - and they are expensive.

But back to your question. I have a little personal rocket blender and a small Cuisinart. I use the Cuisinart for seeds and nuts, and veggies. one day I forgot what I was doing and used the rocket blender to grind some cashews. I think it worked just as well. Usually, I use the Cuisinart when grinding cashews for Mox-a-rella and other fake cheeses.

For "vegan ice cream" i take a frozen banana and just put it in the rocket blender.

The best food processor for nut butter will depend on your exact needs, but I believe the greatest value lies in the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup.
It works well, has a good warranty, and doesn’t dance about on your worktop when in use! Small touches such as the retractable cord and accessory box also show thought and care has gone into it’s manufacturing. Plus, it’s from a name you can trust too.
Cuisinart is a hit or miss with their products. I have had their stick blender for a while and it's pretty much junk. Not at all near the professional level that I really need.

Unless you are looking into a chef quality food processor which is far more expensive, just go with a good brand name. Cuisinart, Hamilton Beach, and KitchenAid are all solid options. I personally use Hamilton Beach.

If want a more in depth look see these food processors here https://www.foodprocessorsreview.com/
Selection of right food processor depends upon the requirement mainly.

Last edited: