Being vegan is a privilege

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Author, journalist, poverty campaigner and vegan Jack Monroe says that being vegan is a privilege - adding that this is an 'uncomfortable' statement.
More: Poverty Campaigner Jack Monroe Says 'Being Vegan Is A Privilege' (3. May 2018)

The article goes on to say that Jack Monroe recently wrote a cookbook (Vegan on a bootstrap) containing a few non-vegan recipes, for which they (Jack) received some unkind online words and photoshopped pictures.

I think the fury with which some vegans react to perceived non-compliance with vegan principles in other vegans is a constant source of surprises.

I would agree that being vegan is a privilege. Not sure about the non-vegan recipes, but I wish some online vegans would try to direct their rage into something more helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poppy and Mel
While I do agree that being vegan is a privilege, there are plenty of premium non-vegan options (like high-priced cuts of flesh) that would indicate privilege, too. I think "privilege" is more about actually having choices, vegan or not, than anything else. Many people don't have access to fresh fruits and veggies, and those same people might live in grocery deserts, where there are no big-box stores that can at least offer somewhat affordable healthy food. So I'd say eating a healthy diet is a privilege as well, unfortunately. Still, with some effort and planning, a vegan diet doesn't have to be any more expensive than a non-vegan one. Smart shopping (if you have the means, of course) can make a huge difference. I actually spend a lot less now than I did as an omni, partly because I don't buy a lot of processed/prepared foods.

Re: the comments: I think it would have been better for the those people to offer up cheap vegan recipes than just rail against the inclusion of non-vegan recipes and hurl vitriol toward the author. It just gives vegans a bad name.

Wait--it looks like the book is called "Cooking on a Bootstrap", and they have another book, "Vegan on a Bootstrap" that isn't out yet In that case, yes, the vitrol is undeserved

I completely get his point, and appreciate it. The whole 'as much as possible and practical' should be taken case by case. A family living paycheck to paycheck, reliance on foodbanks, without transportation.....should do the best they can without feeling retribution or guilt. A person with better income, access to foods, and ethical products needs to up their game

Reactions: KLS52
Claiming you can't be vegan because you are poor makes perfect sense, but I would argue that you can still be vegetarian at least and reduce dairy and cut out eggs. By all means avoid the vegan cheese and almond milk, but being poor doesn't stop you buying fruit and veg and beans and rice and pasta and bread.

Looking at my own life, I first focused on doing things for myself and family such as a good job and salary, a house and car and so on, and the ethical lifestyle to a large extent came later on. I think if I had grown up in a much less privileged background I might never have given up meat at all (or at least not yet), because I might never have set aside the time and money to read various books on vegetarianism.

However, conversely, it's also true that now I have understood the ethics I would not go back to eating meat now even if I was very poor and in a difficult situation in life.

I think Jack's statement "Poor people don’t need to be moralised to about what they are eating" is dubious, though. And it shows in the way she supports this claim with a weak argument about not taxing beans. The use of "moralised to" as a negative is perhaps reminsicent of negative statements like "do-gooder" and "moral high ground". How can these by negative statements? There is a fundamental problem in society that people who try to live more moral lifestyles are implicitly criticised and the true goal is to try and avoid not just a morally bad lifestyle, but also to avoid a morally good one. Striving for mediocrity in ethics is implicitly supposed to be the goal, and fitting in with the majority effectively trumps striving to be the best you can be.

I think, at least in theory, we don't want to dismiss under privileged people as being incapable of assessing moral arguments and vegans should educate all society about veganism.

However, in practice I think you do need to know when to pick your battles. That paragraph I wrote above may be a reasonable discussion point for this forum, but I am not going to react like that to an actual poor person telling me they can't be vegan. I would probably just sympathise and maybe just suggest that they try to reduce factory farmed meat if possible, or maybe not even that, maybe even agree with them or change the subject. Depends on the situation or even how I felt. So I think Jack's article has an important truth to it as well, at least in practice. Even though strictly speaking I tend to disagree with the thrust of it, ranting angrily in opposition to it is just going to make vegans look bad again.

Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I remember when Moosewood starting including fish in their recipe books back in the 90's. Not really happy about that. But no-a-days there are so many books and Internet resources that it doesn't really matter.

It's an interesting interview, with good points coming from the female who has mainly different views to the vegan advocate in regard reaching out to the lower income and how to bring veganism into their life's

Last edited:
It's an interesting interview, with good points coming from the female who has mainly different views to the vegan advocate in regard reaching out to the lower income and how to bring veganism into their life's

I agree. An excellent debate with good arguments coming from both sides. Both people are articulate and calm in the manner that they put forward their points of view. This always makes it easier to understand an argument.

The lady is very often a guest on SKY news where they comment the daily UK newspaper headlines. She indeed is a very calm and polite person.

Last edited: