Being a Vegan

prani_saa

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I do not have to say anything, and the questions from others will start coming itself. The usual ones like “What do you guys eat?”, “Where do you get your protein?”, “Don’t you miss all this good stuff?”, “Is it not more expensive?”, “What do you order at regular restaurants?
We never have questions of like these for non-veg people then why are we flooded with questions?

Reactions: kelli
Yea it's crazy to get these questions . They are annoying to say the least.

People will get used to your veganism after a while. Also, when you get older, people will really notice that your vegan diet is keeping you healthy.

Reactions: Emma JC
We get these questions because there are more of them than there are of us. We're "different," and people are curious about "different." Just keep doing you and people will eventually get used to it and accept you for who you are (if they don't, you don't want to hang out with them anyway).

One of my favorite fictional characters has a saying. Never miss an opportunity to befriend and teach. I have taken it to heart.

So anytime anyone asks me one of those questions, I am more than willing to answer it. If you show patience and enthusiasm they will probably make it to the end of your answer.

I could give you a list of snarky comebacks but I don't think that is a good idea. If they are curious enough to ask the question than they are usually vegan-friendly. Also remember, even though we have heard those questions a million times, it's probably the first time they asked it. They deserve a good answer.

I found the best thing to stop all those questions is to demonstrate how happy and healthy you are (just by being happy and healthy). I have no friends or family members who are vegan...and I get not only those questions but used to also get criticism. What really slowed and almost stopped the criticism and skeptisim, is how happy and healthy I am. I actually had someone one time tell me how unsafe and risky to my health is was to be vegan because I would be B12 deficient and iron deficient etc....this after they were just telling me about their B12 and iron deficiencies, losing their hair and having all kinds of health issues. I simply told them how before I was vegan, I was anemic (iron deficient) and B12 deficient, etc., was losing my hair, my nails, etc. And now that I’m vegan, my blood tests show that I am not only normal but in the optimum range of normal and how I have so much energy and feel great, etc. By going back to what I was when I was younger but didn’t know that it was called vegan, I stopped my congestive heart failure, IBS, ulcers, chronic sinusitis, anemia, etc. My skin is smooth, my hair thickened up, my nails now grow so fast and strong it is amazing, I’m at my optimum weight, etc.. I used to have horrific insomnia...I now sleep like a baby! It is amazing how actual results quiet the doubts. They see it and its hard to refute.

I’ve had others ask me before they knew anything what I was doing different because I looked better and seemed happier. I just told them I went back to what I knew since I was a child I was meant to be...vegan. I really don’t get a lot of questions from my family and friends anymore, and I continually have them over or visit with vegan food that I don’t call “vegan”, I just call it “food”, and they love it and really dont ask anymore. And by the way, it is amazing how many who are not vegan are now eating vegan and just not calling it that...so many of my friends are eating less and less animal products and its funny now how they tell me...almost like they feel reassured. Just be happy and healthy...its contagious!

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
And by the way, I didn’t become vegan purely for health. I have always had an issue with eating animals. When I was a child I was forced to eat them and told that I had a psychological issue because I would literally throw up after being forced to do so. I grew up thinking I had a psychological disorder and fought hard to overcome it. Until one day I realized that it wasn’t me that had the problem...and I simply went vegan...which was what I always was before being forced not to be. So I am much happier now for that more than anything else. All the health benefits were extra perks! Stay strong and be true to yourself!

Reactions: Emma JC
One of my favorite fictional characters has a saying. Never miss an opportunity to befriend and teach. I have taken it to heart.

So anytime anyone asks me one of those questions, I am more than willing to answer it. If you show patience and enthusiasm they will probably make it to the end of your answer.

I could give you a list of snarky comebacks but I don't think that is a good idea. If they are curious enough to ask the question than they are usually vegan-friendly. Also remember, even though we have heard those questions a million times, it's probably the first time they asked it. They deserve a good answer.
Would love to hear the list.. just joined a fitness class full of people that would throw jokes my way if I told them how I live/eat.

Well, snarky comebacks might be fun and provide you with some immediate relief. but in the long run it does nothing to promote veganism.
Promoting veganism is the most effective thing we can do save animals.

The following have been borrowed from various sources. I'll also try to put in some "good answers".

Why are you vegan? / Why don’t you eat meat?
  • Probably the same reasons you don't eat humans
  • I'm opposed to colon cancer
  • Are you asking because you really love plants, or because you want to mock me so you can justify your eating of meat?
  • Because I hate plants.
What do/can you eat?
  • The other 6000 foods.
  • Plants.
  • well.. what do you eat? oh ok, I eat the healthier version of that.
  • Things that don't scream as they slowly bleed to death on the slaughterhouse floor.
  • Things that don't give me heart attacks and cancer.
Where do you get your protein?
  • Where do YOU get your fiber?
  • How much protein did You have yesterday.?
  • Whole foods.
Veganism is so extreme
  • Yeah, it is definitely extreme to be considerate of sentient beings. The Holocaust was so laid back.
Here are some more

And these are better than snappy comebacks but its doubtful the idiot will still be paying attention by the time you finish your sermon