Bastardized Food

kibbleforlola

Lola Worshiper
Reaction score
So, there is a recipe for "sweet cornbread". I won't lie, my first reaction was A) There is no such thing as sweet cornbread! and B) I should totally school these people on what real cornbread is!!! But that reaction is totally not rational, and that's kinda mean to boot. :p

But it did start me thinking (uh oh!), I'm sure cornbread isn't the only thing that's been bastardized. People from other regions get a hold of foods and tweak recipes, make them their own. And don't get me started on fancy-pants chefs foofifying traditional recipes until they are no longer recognizable.

For example, what Americans think of pizza, probably wouldn't be seen in Italy. Or taco bell style "Mexican".

What foods come from your region that other people get wrong? And does it get on your nerves as much as sweet "cornbread" does mine? :p

Don't know what cornbread is, sweet or not. :D

What's typical Geordie food Helen?

I know that the soda bread I have eaten when I have bought it from the shops tastes nothing like traditional Irish soda bread I used to eat as a child.

I can't think of any traditional Herts food. Probably the same as London. Fish & chips I suppose?

Pease Pudding seems to confuse most people, its basically yellow split peas boiled and made into a thick paste. Tradionally served with ham sandwiches....if you can get a vegan version which I can locally...its well nice with fake ham yumyum.
Stottie cake, a type of savoury bread
Singing Hinnies...scones(sweet)
Hash-although this may not be strictly Geordie...left over meat and potato fried the next day.
Panackelty-Left overs from Sunday lunch in a cassarole.

What Americans call "German potato salad" - it's vile stuff that bears no resemblance to real German potato salad, of which I can eat five pounds in one sitting.

Spaetzle served in so called German restaurants in the U.S. are a pale, wan imitation of the real thing.

Oh, and sauerkraut - sauerkraut needs to go through a natural fermentation process that involves only cabbage and salt - the stuff that's made with chemical imitations - gross.

Long before I went veg, I started avoiding those so called German restaurants - terrible food, no comparison at all to what I grew up with.

Wut? You mean you don't nuke tea bags in the microwave then add heaps of sugar and lemon?

Southern cooking is traditionally so laden with bacon grease that I'm glad it gets bastardized.

Traditional Richmond food is remarkably awful. The favorite local bakery was "Dot's", which was famous for weirdly thin lemon chess pies and these tasteless, heavy (but not crunchy) rolls. The favorite appetizer around here is Virginia ham (meaning dried out and far too salty) on parker house rolls. When we moved here from Charlottesville years ago, we were dismayed at the food and restaurant choices in the capital city. Charlottesville had (and still does) much better food.

Reactions: Veggiemama
Guilty as charged
MG_Cop_F.gif
I love sweet cornbread and sweet tea. I'll add sugar to just about anything.

Reactions: sallyomally
I make both sweet and unsweet cornbread. Leftover sweet cornbread mixed with a blop of almond butter and some vanilla soya yogurt is YUM. It ,looks all gross (kinds like Eton mess) but it tastes divine.

I could never drink sweet ice tea when we lived in Louisiana but I can drink my weight in lebanese ice tea which has lemon, rosewater and pomegranite molasses in it. mmmmm....