balance of omega 3 and 6's

• Thread starter Deleted member 12226
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12226

As somebody who eats a lot of peanut butter for protein, I have read a lot about omega 6 and omega 3 on the internet. Some articles claim it's incredibly inflammatory to have so much omega 6 while other articles say it doesn't really matter how much omega 6 you consume, as long as consume enough omega 3 and basically your body needs both and the ratio doesn't batter so much. What are your thoughts about this?

Another good question. we have discussed this before here on the VF. whole threads are devoted to Omega 3s and Omega 6s. So check one or two of them out if you want a discussion

One of the main things to keep in mind is that there are no established minimums for omega 3 or 6.There doesn't even seem to be a consensus.

Nutrition Facts (Dr. Gregar), explains it this way.
Various mainstream health organizations have released their own expert opinions, but they vary considerably.​
Overall, most of these organizations recommend a minimum of 250–500 mg combined EPA and DHA each day for healthy adults (2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).​
However, higher amounts are often recommended for certain health conditions.​
The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for alpha-linolenic acid is 1.6 grams per day for men and 1.1 grams per day for women (5).​

I've seen the stuff about omega 3 to omega 6 ratios, too. but I can never remember what they are. Again going with Gregar as a trusted source he suggests a simple practical approach.

I’d encourage people to minimize their intake of the omega-6 rich oils (such as safflower, sunflower, and cottonseed, and all of the processed garbage manufacturers make with them), and try to eat healthy omega-3 rich whole foods such as walnuts and flax seeds every day (which have their own benefits​

Reactions: Emma JC
Again.... no matter how close you come to the optimum ratio of 3-6-9, you're only getting ALA, and your body needs to convert it to the bio available DHA/EPA. Some people are better at this conversion than others, and it slows down as we age. Hence why Dr Greger suggests algae dha supplements.

Reactions: Lou