Bad vegan experience

hippyman

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
So the past couple of weeks I had been trying to transition for the second time. I was eating cereal with almond milk and potato burritos for breakfast. This produced some unforseen results. I found myself dropping off at numerous times of the day, my skin looked pale, and my energy levels plummeted. What could I have been doing wrong? I hate eating my animal friends☹

Hi hippyman

I just searched for 'transitioning to veganism' online, and a host of suggested sites came up. There is so much help out there.

One suggestion - I'd go for big bowl of porridge to start the day with. Oats are so good for you - and they're pretty cheap. Have that with some dried fruit/banana/blueberry combo and you're away!

Good luck, B&W

I'm not too familiar with the concept of "porridge", lol. How would a bowl of cereal with almond milk, accompanied by a protein shake do?

Strange! Try eating larger portions, drinking more water, getting more sleep, addding snacks, more exercise (or less if you already do a lot) or just trying something different. Expect a transition period. As you may be having difficulty, try a slow transition changing first only breakfast, then lunch after you have that sorted, then dinner after you have that sorted. Or try 1 day per week vegan, then 2 next week etc. Good luck.

I am a bit scattershot when I throw out ideas. I hope at least one of them is more useful. What works for one person won't for another. That's why I think the best thing in a case like this is I can just give you ideas and you can figure out for yourself which if any is best.

Porridge - more than you probably want to know:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/nov/10/how-to-cook-perfect-porridge

My recipe is:
40g rolled oats - 39p/500g in Lidl
200g water (but your almond milk would be fine)

2 minutes in the microwave, then I add 1 dessertspoon blackstrap molasses. Gorgeous!

My wife adds 25g sultanas and a banana to hers.

Trouble with cereal is that it's often crammed with sugar - it's more like an after dinner pudding.

For breakfast I eat sugar-free muesli. I add extra nuts and seeds plus a tsp of cinnamon and some stevia. Afterwards I have a piece of fruit and a cup of tea or coffee. I agree with Breadandwine that cereal is not very healthy.

They had upped my meds that week, and it turns out, that was probably the cause of the lethargy, irritability, etc. As soon as my meds are straightened out I may give this another go.

I eat a big bowl of oatmeal with frozen berries and a couple teaspoons of peanut butter, a tablespoon of wheat germ and almond milk. You need to eat a rainbow of plants and fruits, planning your meals to meet your daily calorie needs with snacks between meals.