Avocados, Deforestation, & Monarch Butterflies

Growing up, we had avocados as a rare treat. Even when we lived in California for a few years, I don't remember stores having giant bins of them all year round the way they do now.

Growing up, we had avocados as a rare treat. Even when we lived in California for a few years, I don't remember stores having giant bins of them all year round the way they do now.
Avocado use is fairly rare for me (even though I love 'em), but I always look to see they come from California & NOT Mexico.

I know, I think we used to eat more locally and seasonally. Now people want melons all year long no matter how far away they come from.

I've been thinking more lately about what I eat and it's impact past not eating and using animals products.

It's getting overwhelming and worrisome.

It's depressing. It makes you feel guilty about everything you eat!

I saw something on the news the other day and they were saying how the demand for quinoa is causing malnutrition in Peru.

It’s a global superfood that packs a punch. First grown in the Andean mountains of Peru and Bolivia, Quinoa is now a staple on healthy plates across the world. But today those farmers who first brought it to the world, rarely eat it themselves, which is contributing to a health crisis among these communities. In Peru, chronic malnutrition affects over 14 percent of children under 5, according to the UN, and now the worst winter in years has led the government to declare a state of emergency in certain states after more than 100 died.

Quinoa and its consequences: malnutrition in Peru | British TV 24

For a time I was eating avocados every now and then (making sandwiches with them, usually- I can make 2 or 2-1/2 sandwiches with just one!)- but after reading the article I'm stopping. Just this week my local supermarket had them on sale- $1 each- but I saw they were from Mexico and didn't buy any.

ETA: GAH. I was short of stuff to eat last night and bought an avocado. I'll start my boycott again.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadamSarcastra