Avocado's controversy

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
How do you feel about Avocado's? According to the BBC they aren't vegan because bee's are needed to produce the fruit/vegetable though having done a little research it seems that bee's are needed for a lot of other produce... Personally my opinion is if it grows on a plant then it's vegan though I'm interested to what you all think about this short video clip produced by the BBC and because I'm incredibly enraged right now especially after stupidly reading the comments.

Reactions: betiPT
Okay he explains that very well thank you, it's so frustrating when people and the media especially try to debunk being vegan constantly I mean if you can't think of a retort immediately to a question you look like an idiot.

We already had a good discussion on this.
https://veganforum.org/threads/should-vegans-avoid-avocados-and-almonds.3166/#post-16709
and then
https://veganforum.org/threads/vegantiarian-sufficiently-vegan.3230/#post-17124

Just a few days ago I participated in a thread about Vegan Gray Areas. And I feel like now we can put avocados and almonds in the category of gray areas.
https://veganforum.org/threads/vegan-grey-areas.3442/#post-19072

Honey was already one of those pesky "controversial issues". And I feel like almonds is just the flip side of the honey argument.

I haven't taken avocados and almonds off my plate. But I don't eat very much of them anyway. I do now think twice about buying them.

I do think that it's worth thinking about what is happening to bees. As a Californian, I can just about watch in real time how the new popularity of Almonds is changing the landscape. Although I much rather see almond groves than dairy farms, it's kind of a shock when you realize that each February 3/4 of the bee population of the US is busy fertilizing almonds in California.

I've read several different articles. Some authors say that 3/4 of our crops are pollinated by bees. Some say its just 1/3. No matter which, it's significant.

No one knows what is causing Colony Collapse Disorder. But I would be surprised if they don't find out that it has something to do with commercial bee management practices.

I was listening to some radio broadcast on people talking out the end of the world scenarios. And one guy suggested it could start with a total collapse of the American Bee industry and an American famine. How about that for a new nightmare.

Ah whoops...

And I feel like almonds is just the flip side of the honey argument.

I understand it takes a ridiculous amount of water for almonds to grow, fortunately soy brews so much better with tea/coffee than anything else I've tried so I rarely almond based foods or drinks too.

I was listening to some radio broadcast on people talking out the end of the world scenarios. And one guy suggested it could start with a total collapse of the American Bee industry and an American famine. How about that for a new nightmare.

I don't think the general population realise how important bee's are, I didn't awhile ago until I saw someone vlog about it, I think I saw something in a museum somewhere too explaining the penalties of the extinction of bees, very scary.

@Damo
Soy takes a lot of water, too. but both soy and almonds use LOTS less water than cows.

Yes. I too like my Soy Vanilla for coffee and tea. (and cookies)

BTW, in London and NYC coffee drinkers are loving their oat milk. I haven't tried it yet. But I will when Quaker Oat's "beverage" hits the nearby grocery stores.

Reactions: betiPT and Damo
Oh right, I guess for a moment I thought almonds used more water than cows.

I've tried soy, almond, hemp and oat milk my preference is definitely soy for any hot drink everything else tastes weird to me, and soy is the cheapest so that works for me. :)

Reactions: Veganite and betiPT