Literature Audiobooks

Oh god. I'm getting so old and out of it. I thought audible books still came on cds! I was wondering where you guys were finding them since I haven't seen any audio cds in forever. :(

I get all my audiobooks on cd from the public library. I rip them into iTunes just like ripping a music cd, and listen on my phone. (There are a few tricks in iTunes that can make them easier to rip and listen to.)

I delete most of them shortly after I finish listening, so I consider this to be "fair use," the same as borrowing them for a short time.

I get all my audiobooks on cd from the public library. I rip them into iTunes just like ripping a music cd, and listen on my phone. (There are a few tricks in iTunes that can make them easier to rip and listen to.)

I delete most of them shortly after I finish listening, so I consider this to be "fair use," the same as borrowing them for a short time.

Oh that's good to know! I don't feel so old now. Are most audiobooks that are on cd only older books?

I drive between Quebec and Vermont a lot, and audio books are awesome. Some actually have decent voice acting lol. Like on World War Z the different characters from different countries wool have their native accents. Makes long drives go by faster.

This is what I do also, except I listen to them on my nano, which I bought specifically for that purpose. I got rid of TV when my ex moved out. Audiobooks take the place of TV for me, and I can do all my chores while listening. Also in the car of course, since the only radio stations I can get here are right wing talk radio and country music.

I dislike them. The whole reason I learned to read in the first place is because I hated people reading to me; I wanted them to go faster. I kind of wish I could get into them, because I have a lot of listening time, but I don't have the patience.

Reactions: Muggle
I dislike them. The whole reason I learned to read in the first place is because I hated people reading to me; I wanted them to go faster. I kind of wish I could get into them, because I have a lot of listening time, but I don't have the patience.

Same!

I do have the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings on audio though. But only for the pronunciation....

Reading books is great and I do both, but you can't read a book in certain situations like when driving, when cleaning, cooking, working and so on. I prefer not to work in silence.

Oooo so I found a book I want to read on Audible. Actually a book I've been meaning to read on paper but keep forgetting. when my MP3 player comes back from repair I will order it.

anyway, choices. what do you guys think is better? Well read book by voice actor person, or book read by actual author but has some bad reviews about the author not being such a good speaker. I liek the idea of reading it by the author, but eeeeh it might not be as good. Book is Farenheight 451 by Ray Badbury btw.

Definitely go with the professional. A great book can be ruined by being read badly. The only time I've ever been completely satisfied with an author's reading was Philip Pullman reading His Dark Materials, with a cast for the voices of characters. Other authors have a tendency to read too fast, or have voices that just aren't suited to comfortable listening - e.g. Bill Bryson with a very nasal voice.

I agree - go with the professional, if you have a choice.

I used to think I wouldn't like audio books, because I hate being read to. But some books are actually more enjoyable in audio form, if the reader is a good one. I love the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series on audio. The Lacuna was great on audio, better than reading it. (I listened to part of that one, and read part of it.)

BTW - I'm a fairly quick reader - for instance, I read two of the Hunger Games books in less than three hours. I didn't get through the third that same afternoon just because I didn't have it checked out at the same time.

BTW - I'm a fairly quick reader - for instance, I read two of the Hunger Games books in less than three hours. I didn't get through the third that same afternoon just because I didn't have it checked out at the same time.

I do the exact same thing. I very rarely read for leisure - it's more like a job to me. :p

:DWell, it's leisure for me, but I just read fast. Although, when a writer really has a way with words, I slow down to savor them.

:DWell, it's leisure for me, but I just read fast. Although, when a writer really has a way with words, I slow down to savor them.
That's one of my pet peeves, when people are too artsy and I have to be careful not to skim over too fast. I've missed plenty of important details that way...

I think audiobooks were the reason I stopped reading so fast. I had a tendency to tune out over long descriptive passages, or to skim over narrative in between dialogue to get to the speech faster. Once I started listening I realised how much richer books are when you slow down and appreciate the world the author has painted, and now I rush a lot less.