Are soy products safe to consume?

I have soy milk w/coffee daily.
I have soy milk 3x / wk. with oats - fruits - nuts or seeds.
I have TVP 2x / wk.(textured vegetable protein - don't know why it has the word vegetable in its description when its basically hulled soy.)
I have Tempeh 2x / wk. I would have no problem adjusting any of those by adding more legumes - The products I mentioned are all fast & easy though...
Thanks in advance for helpful comments.
Everyone's body is different. I had to cut out all soy products because of my thyroid issues. My testosterone was tested before, during when I was eating a lot of soy and after. It dipped lower than normal with high consumption because for people with Hashimoto's Disease it can reduce your thyroid hormones t3 and t4 and indirectly reduce testosterone. This is a slightly different conversation than just talking about the phytoestrogen content.

Trust your body and bloodwork and get tested often. Know your baseline off of soy products, increase intake, and then retest... If you have enough data points and see a jump not long after stopping soy then you may be one of those people who should avoid it. People will repeat what they have heard but there is no one size fits all rule for your own physiology.

Most guys can get away with 5 servings a day but you might just be the outlier.

Last edited:
There are different opinions about this on the web.

To discredited pseudo-science folks like Dr. Mercola, soy is evil.

However, reputable sources like Vegan for Life, written by Norris and Messina, say that soy is fine.

Dr. Gregar puts an upper limit on it. I try to stay below that.
Yes, but that limit is 5 servings!
One serving of tofu,edamame, tempeh, or cooked beans is 1/2 cup, so the limit would be 2.5 cups. His recommendation of beans per day, on the daily dozen, is 2.5 cups.
A serving of soy milk is one cup.

Reactions: KLS52
I Could have 5 servings everyday but I put on some brakes. Probably average 3.

I eat and drink quite a bit of soy. Soy milk in oatmeal, coffee, or cereal. Tofu in a lot of dishes.

The Asians have been eating soy for thousands of years. I think it has been safety tested.

The earliest historical evidence for soybean use comes from Shang dynasty reports, written sometime between 1700 to 1100 BC. Whole beans were cooked or fermented into a paste and used in various dishes. By the Song Dynasty (960 to 1280 AD), soybeans had an explosion of uses; and in the 16th century AD, the beans spread throughout southeast Asia.

Soybeans contain 18% oil and 38% protein: they are unique among plants in that they supply protein equal in quality to animal protein.

In Asia, soybeans are used in a variety of edible forms, including tofu, soymilk, tempeh, natto, soy sauce, bean sprouts, edamame, and many others.

I have soya milk (200 ml) with coffee once a day. I also consume soya yogurt, tofu and tpv a few times a week.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52