Soy milk

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Thought it was a good non-dairy healthy alternative w/some protein. I noticed the "organic" Aldi's grocery store version says it has "organic cane sugar" which annoys me because its sugar! How can organic sugar be healthy? It only has 7g / serv. I was only using the soy milk as an alternative to dairy milk for protein. I'm hoping I don't have to get an expensive non sugar version that is at a Health Food store far away from my home. I could just use almond milk which says it has no sugar but there would be little to no protein. Maybe I'm getting enough protein from my other food choices and this won't be an issue if I just stop using it. Comments

There are normally 3 or 4 versions of each plant milk by each company eg sweetened unsweetened vanilla flavoured regular flavour etc

If you can't find an unsweetened soy milk then choose whichever other you prefer as unless you are drinking cups and cups of it per day it really shouldn't affect your overall protein intake by much.

Emma JC

You can also make your own plant milks easily. Oat milk is super easy. Soy milk is also easy. Mic the vegan has a video on how to make it.

Also zki, have you checked out cronometer? It will help you get a good idea on how much of each nutrient you are getting. Unless you are eating a super restrictive diet I doubt you are low on protein, but it's always good to check.

And you can get just about any kind of soymilk delivered to your doorstep in redi-packs. You don't even have to use Amazon. It might even come out cheaper.

Thanks, I found Silk Organic Unsweetened Soymilk - only 1g sugar & avail. at Target.

Trader Joes has a soy milk in quart cartons which is only soy beans and water for $2. Westsoy is sold at Walmarts in 64 oz cartons for about $4, also just beans and water. Both are shelf stable and have long expiration dates. I stock up on Trader Joes - it's labeled 'soy beverage' rather than milk
If you have an Asian grocery you could check-they may not say non gmo

If you ever make soy milk at home you will see why a little sweetener isn't a bad thing.

Dr. Greger has videos stating that most sweeteners are the same, none have any real nutrition.

Even soy milk ( probably cheaper than Aldi ) in Asian markets is sweetened.

If you ever make soy milk at home you will see why a little sweetener isn't a bad thing.

Dr. Greger has videos stating that most sweeteners are the same, none have any real nutrition.

Even soy milk ( probably cheaper than Aldi ) in Asian markets is sweetened.
It's really a matter of taste. I used to make soy milk often and would have it plain- what put me off was not straining all the okara. I love Trader Joes soy beverage which is only beans and water.

I have seen both gmo, non gmo, and organic, soy milks at Asian stores

Now I'm thinking I should some soy milk and make tofu! Homemade tofu is the best thing ever!

• Agree
Reactions: Val and Mischief

Attachments

• 1584326208645.png
    1584326208645.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 3