how to neutralize the lectins(agglutinin)in soy milk ?

that goes both ways in case you've not noticed cF. all the anti-dairy propaganda - and megacorps like Mon$anto are even richer

with the exception of natto (ultra-high in K2, but none found here. dont know if I'd like the taste though) the plant sources are only K1 not K2 right?
Anti-dairy propaganda? Please provide references to what you think is incorrect. Just what does Monsanto have to do with anything being discussed here- they are far from promoting plant based lifestyles!

I was curious where Switzerland fell in worldwide dairy consumption per capita and I found this:

http://chartsbin.com/view/1491

FAO from 2007. Don't imagine it's much changed today. Probably explains why our poster is putting up such resistance. Switzerland is a huge dairy consumer per capita. It's probably plastered all over billboards, magazines and television commercials as well as inescapable just visiting grandma.

Klimevoli, how are all the people in the very light blue/white countries on the map surviving with so little/no dairy?

As for your original question, phytates and lectins are destroyed by soaking and cooking. Although soy is a choice for many people, there are lots of alternatives that aren't even legumes. Tahini is one I use, fair amount of calcium too if it's the un-hulled kind. There's also oat milk, banana milk, flax seed milk, almond milk...there's scores of varieties from a variety of seeds and nuts.

The other thing to mention with regard to phytates is, they are often present in whole grain breads from my understanding (even though these are obviously cooked to some degree). The human body adjusts to their regular intake by developing methods to break them down in the gut.

Reactions: Brian W
no D? welp, guess it's back to fish then (guess that's what you were suggesting)

btw I didnt know we were all supposed to be MD nutrionists. good to know

I apologize. Of course I'm not encourage fish consumption. Vitamin D can be obtained from supplements, or from vitamin D fortified plant milk or orange juice. If you don't want soy milk, then other types of fortified plant milk are available (rice milk, oat milk, almond milk, hemp milk).

Here is why I'm being so suspicious. It's safe to say that your particular nutrient obsessions did not come from the whfoods.com website that you cited.

I'm familiar with the World's Healthiest Foods (www.whfoods.com) website. They do not share your obsessions with lectins, phytates, niacin, vitamin K2, grassfed dairy foods, and anti-soy myths. These particular obsessions are promoted almost exclusively by the (neurotically) anti-vegan Weston A. Price Foundation, and by Dr. Joseph Mercola. You need to remember something - some of us have been researching and promoting vegan diets for decades. We've heard these specific anti-vegan myths dozens of times, and in dozens of guises. Over and over and over again.

It's also very strange that you consistently reject the well-substantiated advice of us experienced vegans (who have been healthy for decades on a vegan diet), and instead evangelize grassfed milk and yogurt as if they were miracle foods.

If you want reliable information about healthy vegetarian nutrition, please contact the "swissveg" website that I provided earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian W
no D? welp, guess it's back to fish then (guess that's what you were suggesting)

btw I didnt know we were all supposed to be MD nutrionists. good to know
Vitamin D is not actually a vitamin. it's a hormone your body produces when exposed to natural sunlight. Go out and get some sun or take a vegan D3 supplement if you can't do that.

Reactions: Lou
I think kimevoli is right for looking for a solution regarding making soybean consumption like soymilk better digestible. Everyone is different in body reaction and in pre-sensing, and that's fine. And I'd say there is not much use of real original traditional food preparing processes and that includes most prepared food that can be bought at supermarkets and/or from factories, despite the great technologies. Time is an industry factor which does not go along well with industrial made food. In addition to that people themselves have lost or are losing traditional methods regarding wisdom and/or practice. Luckily not all and luckily there are also those who wish to go back and do so and find and make those available again. Cudos to all such heart- and hand-making food artisans - old and new/young ones!

1. Best is to listen to your body.
2. If you are not a great legume fan and transitioning to vegan, you are possibly missing on a major part of the full protein profile/"aminoacids kit", which is lysin, given the possibility you consume mostly grains and nuts (oily seeds as sesame would also be in this category, however especially sesame is a kind of "complenting block" to legumes, as it contains the missing methionin amino acid). So this may have been a reason for you to have had the sensation of feeling full. At least this happened to me, when I after such a diet mentioned (including fruits and vegetables of course, but other legumes on the seldom side) had some tofu, I felt quite satieted with very few and I felt my body somehow processing it quite fast.
3. Phytic acid & Co - it may be an issue depending on your (non-)comprehensive diet, which can be also the case nowadays for miscellaneous internal/external factors (and I guess this is more often than most people would think, I mean kind of body/food malnutrition). Check on some algae both for minerals and also for B12. Traditional methods of seed processing/cooking will be more balanced. Also some fermented food like sauerkraut, kimchi will be balancing. P.S. Broaden your experiencing horizon with legumes, there are great and lots of delicious varietes from all kinds of taste preferences. (With presented solution 1 there won't be any body issues also + there are many ways of neutralizing them with eg spices like cinnamon, asafoetida or onions, vinegar ..)
4. Excursus "Niacin". (Fruit wood) Ashes will release niacin, like (historically) prominently from corn. And there are other original/traditional recipes that did make use of ashes with grains. As so mentioned, it's not an issue with a well-balanced diet.

So regarding your request. Btw I sense legumes when being not well digestable/prepared/cooked, it's not the feeling of fullness. It is a sensation and taste of burning to slight numbness of your tounge and/or higher acidity level.

Solution 1
Always with legumes: (1) Soaking min. 8h + (2) Precooking with water change! + (3) Some minimum cooking duration (with fresh/exchanged water - the longer, the better; with DIY soymilk you will be fastest on a large surface pot/pan stirring frequently in case you boil it on higher temperature). For faster/better results also leave salt out while cooking legumes.

Solution 2
You may be right with baking soda/natron. It's been used traditionally in oriental cuisines as well. Which substances it exactly targets, I don't know, however it makes it more digestable or helps it cook faster (which you can make use of for Solution 1, when not having presoaked them). However I guess, it's kind of the "fast food" solution, the "natural" way that includes soaking them and some cooking duration, would still be the best. The present this method has got is that you could do mealprep and freeze the cooked legumes, since legumes are one of the few foods that keep almost all there nutritive values when freezed (and softly reheated).

Best wishes!

OMG have you been reading Dr. Gundry? Yeah, I fell for that BS for about 5 minutes. There is a good response from Dr. Gregar and Nutrition Facts. I will include the link below.

First off lectins are destroyed by typical cooking and preparing. For instance, the heat that soy milk goes thru destroys something like 80% of the lectins.

Second, if you are going to worry about the lectins in soy milk you probably need to stop eating tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and bell peppers, and peanuts too. Although like other plant foods that contain lectins - most of the lectins are destroyed by cooking.

Finally, (maybe I should have made this first) lectins are not dangerous.

--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NT4q_5dfL
Lectins can certainly be harmful, plenty of peer reviewed articles stating so. Eat some raw or undercooked red kidney beans and tell us how you feel, champ

Eat some raw or undercooked red kidney beans and tell us how you feel, champ

What, why are you being combative?
This is an old thread and I thought we had resolved the OPs issue.
What is your issue? Did you actually read the posts and the links?
Lots of good info there.

Reactions: David3
Lectins can certainly be harmful, plenty of peer reviewed articles stating so. Eat some raw or undercooked red kidney beans and tell us how you feel, champ
Lectins are destroyed by cooking. Soy milk is made from cooked soybeans.

"When properly cooked, red kidney beans are a valuable and nutritious food that shouldn’t be avoided."

There are lots of foods that NEED to be cooked. Most beans. And aren't raw potatoes poisonous?

I know - that's because asians only take FERMENTED soy products (unfermented soy products such as soy milk are relatively new in human history) so obviously no lectin problems

as I said before here the only safe (fermented) soy products I could find is soy sauce & I reckon the total salt content alone would make it risky to drink soy sauce in the same quantities as milk or soy milk :/

btw I don't intend to boil the soy milk (no more than I boil my cow milk) since I'd like to preserve the nutrients so in the case of soy milk the lectins are still there right?

hence my question as to how to (safely) destroy the SBA
Soy milk is made from boiling soybeans, so the same nutrients as cooked soybeans minus the fiber
Heat destroys lectins
Soy milk and tofu have been around for 2000 years, still eaten frequently in Asia

NO one is suggesting eating fish. Vitamin D is largely from the suns rays. Supplementing is easy, if you need to, vegan D3 is from lichens.

Reactions: PTree15