how to neutralize the lectins(agglutinin)in soy milk ?

klimevoli

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
so for those of us who don't have access to fermented soy products (those are extremely rare except for soy sauce & I can't exactly drink a whole glass of soy sauce) and must content with regular products - is it possible to somehow destroy the soy lectins (aka. SBA's) in soy milk?
anything?

for instance would adding some baking soda do the trick? what about salt?
I know baking soda can neutralize phytic acid that's the least concern when it comes to soy

apparently I'm the only one on the web who thought of asking this vital question (no use googling it up you won't find anything) and since there's no "soy forum" might as well ask here

so, anyone with enough scientific know how who could help?
thx in advance

OMG have you been reading Dr. Gundry? Yeah, I fell for that BS for about 5 minutes. There is a good response from Dr. Gregar and Nutrition Facts. I will include the link below.

First off lectins are destroyed by typical cooking and preparing. For instance, the heat that soy milk goes thru destroys something like 80% of the lectins.

Second, if you are going to worry about the lectins in soy milk you probably need to stop eating tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and bell peppers, and peanuts too. Although like other plant foods that contain lectins - most of the lectins are destroyed by cooking.

Finally, (maybe I should have made this first) lectins are not dangerous.

--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NT4q_5dfLs

OMG have you been reading Dr. Gundry? Yeah, I fell for that BS for about 5 minutes. There is a good response from Dr. Gregar and Nutrition Facts. I will include the link below.

First off lectins are destroyed by typical cooking and preparing. For instance, the heat that soy milk goes thru destroys something like 80% of the lectins.

Second, if you are going to worry about the lectins in soy milk you probably need to stop eating tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and bell peppers, and peanuts too. Although like other plant foods that contain lectins - most of the lectins are destroyed by cooking.

Finally, (maybe I should have made this first) lectins are not dangerous.

--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NT4q_5dfLs
no I just choose to ignore Mon$anto-sponsored propaganda

but aside from the fact SBA's an antinutrient that steals other minerals & causes inflamation & damage to the intestine not to mention leaky gut, I suppose there's no danger :|

as for the rest, in that list I do take lots of tomato but only in the form of organic tomato sauce (so no skin or seeds)
and peanuts may also deserve a special mention - dunno about their lectins however they're one of the very few non-meat sources of the (very rare & valuable) NIACIN (B3) so to avoid niacin deficiency & DNA damage vegetarians have no choice but to eat peanuts

btw soy milk's not meant to be heated though I suppose I could weigh the pro& cons: destroying vitamins & lectins, or preserving both
(here they sell chocolate soy milk in 8oz cartons with provided straw)

PS. not speaking about other lectins (there's different sorts) only SBA (soybean lectin aka Agglutinin)

so, any way to destroy those SBA's in soy milk? would bicarb do the trick?
anyone?

Last edited:
btw I actually tried one of those 8oz organic soy drinks, felt like I'd eaten a whole meal for the next hours

even twice the organic microfiltered non-pasteurized cow milk I take daily, doesn't feel that heavy (and humans aren't even supposed to tolerate cow milk right?)

after reading about soy & SBA's I guess that makes sense :( for the moment I'm sticking to organic microfiltered cow milk (closest here I can find to raw milk)

• Sad
Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
so for those of us who don't have access to fermented soy products (those are extremely rare except for soy sauce & I can't exactly drink a whole glass of soy sauce) and must content with regular products - is it possible to somehow destroy the soy lectins (aka. SBA's) in soy milk?
anything?

for instance would adding some baking soda do the trick? what about salt?
I know baking soda can neutralize phytic acid that's the least concern when it comes to soy

apparently I'm the only one on the web who thought of asking this vital question (no use googling it up you won't find anything) and since there's no "soy forum" might as well ask here

so, anyone with enough scientific know how who could help?
thx in advance

There's a reason why no one else is asking this question: It's not an issue.

All beans contain lectins. The lectins are destroyed in the process of cooking the beans. This is also true for soybeans, and for products made from cooked soybeans (like soymilk and tofu).

Also, let's do a reality check here. Millions of Asians eat soy products - they've been doing it for centuries. They are generally long-lived and healthy people. I don't see anyone suffering from lectin poisoning.

btw I actually tried one of those 8oz organic soy drinks, felt like I'd eaten a whole meal for the next hours

even twice the organic microfiltered non-pasteurized cow milk I take daily, doesn't feel that heavy (and humans aren't even supposed to tolerate cow milk right?)

after reading about soy & SBA's I guess that makes sense :( for the moment I'm sticking to organic microfiltered cow milk (closest here I can find to raw milk)

According to the peer-reviewed Small Intestine journal, about 65% of 70% of adult humans are milk lactose intolerant: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11894-017-0558-9

Soy foods are also a common allergen, though not as common as cow's milk: https://www.fda.gov/food/buy-store-serve-safe-food/what-you-need-know-about-food-allergies

Again, the lectin "issue" is a non-issue.

Last edited:
There's a reason why no one else is asking this question: It's not an issue.

All beans contain lectins. The lectins are destroyed in the process of cooking the beans. This is also true for soybeans, and for products made from cooked soybeans (like soymilk and tofu).

Also, let's do a reality check here. Millions of Asians eat soy products - they've been doing it for centuries. They are generally long-lived and healthy people. I don't see anyone suffering from lectin poisoning.
I know - that's because asians only take FERMENTED soy products (unfermented soy products such as soy milk are relatively new in human history) so obviously no lectin problems

as I said before here the only safe (fermented) soy products I could find is soy sauce & I reckon the total salt content alone would make it risky to drink soy sauce in the same quantities as milk or soy milk :/

btw I don't intend to boil the soy milk (no more than I boil my cow milk) since I'd like to preserve the nutrients so in the case of soy milk the lectins are still there right?

hence my question as to how to (safely) destroy the SBA

I know - that's because asians only take FERMENTED soy products (unfermented soy products such as soy milk are relatively new in human history) so obviously no lectin problems

as I said before here the only safe (fermented) soy products I could find is soy sauce & I reckon the total salt content alone would make it risky to drink soy sauce in the same quantities as milk or soy milk :/

btw I don't intend to boil the soy milk (no more than I boil my cow milk) since I'd like to preserve the nutrients so in the case of soy milk the lectins are still there right?

hence my question as to how to (safely) destroy the SBA

Hi klimevoli, and welcome to the forum.

I urge you to review your claims more carefully before posting. You are currently posting misinformation.

Asians do not only take fermented soy products. Unfermented soy products, like soymilk and tofu, have been eaten for centuries.

Soy milk is not new. Soy milk was invented in the 11th century: https://www.soyinfocenter.com/pdf/176/Chin.pdf.

Tofu is not new. Tofu was invented over 2000 years ago: https://www.soya.be/history-of-tofu.php

Soy milk is already boiled. It is made from cooked soybeans: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Soy-Milk.html

Last edited:
if so then a more accurate study would be needed to find out who takes non-fermented soy products & who doesn't. I reckon this would depend on the country (and is the population of Asia's largest country really all that healthy?)

but ultimately:

Soy milk is already boiled. It is made from cooked soybeans: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Soy-Milk.html
that's all that matters. is this always true? how do we know if the beans in soy milk were cooked or not?

or better question, is it necessary to cook the beans to make soy milk? (what happens if you attempt to use uncooked beans instead?)

if so then a more accurate study would be needed to find out who takes non-fermented soy products & who doesn't. I reckon this would depend on the country (and is the population of Asia's largest country really all that healthy?)

but ultimately:

that's all that matters. is this always true? how do we know if the beans in soy milk were cooked or not?

or better question, is it necessary to cook the beans to make soy milk? (what happens if you attempt to use uncooked beans instead?)

Yes, it is necessary for soybeans to be heated during the creation of soy milk. The crushing and grinding of the beans create a lot of heat. Please check out some of the links I sent to you.

ok guess he was right it's a moot point then

still doesn't explain why I felt so "full" after only 8oz of organic soy milk though (when I can easily tolerate twice as much cow milk)

is it the phytic acid? does it slow down digestion? I'm a bit less concerned about that one but if there's a way to neutralize it I'm interested (would some sodium bicarbonate powder do the trick? since it's an alkali)

ok guess he was right it's a moot point then

still doesn't explain why I felt so "full" after only 8oz of organic soy milk though - is it the phytic acid? does it slow down digestion? I'm a bit less concerned about that one but if there's a way to neutralize that I'm interested (would some sodium bicarb powder do the trick? since it's an alkali)

You don't have to drink soy milk.

Fermented soy foods are not "rare" in Switzerland. Your local bio (organic) or Asian food shops likely carry tempeh.

• Agree
Reactions: Mischief
never heard of tempeh I'll check it out (I(m not exactly in a big city though)

btw someone mentioned peanuts which I take (about 2oz a day)

now I dont know how dangerous the lectins are in peanuts but I need the peanuts for the super-rare niacin (B3) content (usually only meats have high B3) so I dont have much choice

(and beans give me to much gas + I hate the taste)

I always take my peanut dose with some sodium bicard to neutralize then phytic acid will it also affect the lectins?

never heard of tempeh I'll check it out (I(m not exactly in a big city though)

btw someone mentioned peanuts which I take (about 2oz a day)

now I dont know how dangerous the lectins are in peanuts but I need the peanuts for the super-rare niacin (B3) content (usually only meats have high B3) so I dont have much choice

(and beans give me to much gas + I hate the taste)

I always take my peanut dose with some sodium bicard to neutralize then phytic acid will it also affect the lectins?

Considering how obsessed you are with fermented soy foods, I can't believe you've never heard of tempeh.

As with beans, the lectins in peanuts are destroyed by the heat of the roasting/cooking process. Peanuts are a healthy food. It's not an issue.

Enriched white rice, pasta, and bread are usually enriched with niacin. It's not an issue.

Certain whole grains are also good sources of niacin. It's not an issue.

You are worrying way too much about lectins, phytates, and niacin - these things are rarely ever an issue.

Healthy vegetarian diets include (1) beans, lentils, and similar foods, (2) whole grains, (3) vegetables, (4) fruit, and (5) nuts/seeds. Vegetarians (and especially vegans) are encouraged to supplement with vitamin B12, vitamin D, and iodine. Good calcium sources should also be consumed. All mainstream health organizations have stated that this kind of vegetarian diet is healthy.

If you don't like beans, then please try lentils - they are rich in protein, are much smaller than beans, produce less gas than beans, and have a mild flavor.

Where are you getting your nutrition information? I've been a vegan for almost 30 years, and I've never had such worries.

for the vitamin content I check various sites then cross check with others to verify consistency. one site I keep returning to is Whfoods
and unfortunately all the higher sources of niacin are meat
then come peanuts which is what I take (plus I like the taste too much anyway) and other non-meat sources are far behind

for B12 & D3 I take plenty of organic grassfed dairy inc. some cheeses (for the K2, since calcium without D3 & K2 is very dangerous)
haven't thought of iodine so far tbh. apparently yogurt has plenty of it & I take lots of organic yogurt

dunno about vegan but so far I've heard vegetarian is perfectly possible without supplements (which I wanna avoid if possible) even when doing lots of sport & gym work

but ultimately:

Soy beans contain an enzyme that would make you quite sick if not properly boiled--same with kidney beans.
Tofu has been eaten in Asia for over 2000 years! Are you looking at Weston Price ( heavy in meat and dairy funding) or the like?
The anti soy propaganda is strong because soy has long been a threat to meat and dairy money

And gmo soy is used for animal food

K2 is found in dark leafy greens, along with plenty of calcium

and you don't need fortified foods for niacin, as it's found in whole grains.

Look up nutritionfacts.org for starters

for B12 & D3 I take plenty of organic grassfed dairy inc. some cheeses (for the K2, since calcium without D3 & K2 is very dangerous)
haven't thought of iodine so far tbh. apparently yogurt has plenty of it & I take lots of organic yogurt

Klimevoli,

Grassfed milk does not naturally contain vitamin D. Look at the ingredient list for this grassfed milk - it is supplemented with vitamin D:

Klimevoli, you are consistently posting misinformation about soy foods, legumes, and dairy foods. When we have corrected your misinformation (with supporting reputable sources), you have ignored us, and you've continued to post misinformation.

I have no choice but to report your posts to the moderator.

Klimevoli,

Grassfed milk does not naturally contain vitamin D. Look at the ingredient list for this grassfed milk - it is supplemented with vitamin D:

Klimevoli, you are consistently posting misinformation about soy foods, legumes, and dairy foods. When we have corrected your misinformation (with supporting reputable sources), you have ignored us, and you've continued to post misinformation.

I have no choice but to report your posts to the moderator.
no D? welp, guess it's back to fish then (guess that's what you were suggesting)

btw I didnt know we were all supposed to be MD nutrionists. good to know

Last edited:
The anti soy propaganda is strong because soy has long been a threat to meat and dairy money
that goes both ways in case you've not noticed cF. all the anti-dairy propaganda - and megacorps like Mon$anto are even richer

with the exception of natto (ultra-high in K2, but none found here. dont know if I'd like the taste though) the plant sources are only K1 not K2 right?