Are humans designed to eat meat?

Sheldon is. I so wish he wasnt gay.

I think that humans have always used meat as a sort of fallback for when they couldnt find the plants they needed.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Meat is more nutritionally dense, calorific and fatty than plant foods. Pretty much all animals prefer such foods.

Maybe, but it is harder to obtain, and the amount of energy expended can end up not being worth it if there are perfectly good things to eat which can be merely harvested.

Maybe, but it is harder to obtain, and the amount of energy expended can end up not being worth it if there are perfectly good things to eat which can be merely harvested.

Which would make the opposite, namely that the plants and gathered foodstuffs are something to fall back upon when meat cannot be obtained.

Which would make the opposite, namely that the plants and gathered foodstuffs are something to fall back upon when meat cannot be obtained.

But I know this not to be true from personal experience back in my omni days. I lived with people who lived off the land, and I assure you that their diet was around 80% plant based, what was in their garden was the mainstay of their diet, and it is that way naturally with people, unless they are in a setting where they cannot obtain plants, such as the desert.

Yes humans can live off meat but they are not going to be as healthy and they are not going to live as long. Dont forget those hunter gatherers had a life expectancy of 35, so they could eat as much cholesterol and unsuitable foods as they wanted and it wouldnt have made any difference as they didnt live as long anyway.

The human digestive tract does not resemble the dog digestive tract, humans do not go round lunging at rats and they dont have a stomach full of extreme acid which can kill all manners of germs. They dont eat things impulsively and then eat grass to make themselves throw up if they realise the decision was regrettable. Dogs are natural omnivores. Humans are like chimps which are an obligate omnivore.

But there is clear evidence that humans hunted before they farmed, and mortality must have been crazy high when they were hunting mammoths and other huge beasts with minimal technology and hand-made weapons. Clearly they felt the effort was worth it, and most animals will risk injury and danger to get nutritionally dense food. So whilst our diet probably has always been mostly plant based until recent times, all the evidence and logic points to us eating as much meat as we could.

Yes, but the evidence and logic also points to the fact that if we try and eat a high meat-dense diet, our bodies will eventually start to pack up as our bodies are not adapted to high meat. This would not have been an issue back then, because of our short life expectancies, but it is a big problem for the modern human who hopes to live into old age.

So this points to the fact that eating meat is a necessity in an environment where reproduction and short term survival was the name of the game, but it does not mean that this is actually the optimal diet for what the human body was designed for.

http://www.eco-friendly-africa-travel.com/longevity-diet.html

Also, people harvested small crops such as taro, yams and planted trees plants and other long before modern farming became a trend. People have been growing their own gardens for a long time.