Are fried chips vegan?

Ree92

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm referring to the same kind of salty, crunchy, steamy chips that are typically sold at chicken or fish takeaway shops. I realise they are made from potatoes which are vegan, what I am concerned about is if the oil used to fry them has anything non-vegan. If your answer is "it depends on the store", could you please also describe how I can know without needing to ask a staff. I love fried chips, they are my go to food when I am depressed. I don't know how I can live without it. Any opinions you may have regarding this post is appreciated.

Depends on where in the world you live. In my area (Scandinavia) it is extremely rare to find chips fried in anything else than vegetable oil, but it's more common in other countries. In my experience, chips that you get in America, that are non-vegan are usually crispier, but I doubt I could safely say that means I could identify them in a chip line up, haha. I get that it might feel awkward to ask but if you have a corner chippy or shop you always go to, you would just have to ask once.

In the UK (and Scandinavia) McDonald's chips are vegan so that could be a safe bet if you don't want to ask first.

1. If you want to know foor sure, you will have to ask. Think of the least awkward way to ask. In person, email, calling them up? If in person, you could go in when it's a quiet time.

2. If the issue is you want to eat them at various different outlets rather than one just favourite one, then it's too much hassle to be absolutely sure all of the time. Just eat them and hope for the best. You know, to reduce your "animal suffering footprint" by 99% is a realistic goal, to do it by 99.9% is a lot harder, and to do it by 100% is impossible. So I would also argue that you don't need to worry about eating animal fat occassionally.

3. Unless of course it really disgusts you, or there is some medical reason why it could be bad for your health, or provoke a reaction, in which case ignore point 2.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Some vegans will eat "chips" or fries from the same oil as other items. Same with veggie burger cooked on same grill. TBH I think this is a difference of opinion. My college will not take legal responsibility for deep fried or grill veggie items so label them vegetarian even if they contain no eggs, no dairy and no gelatin. However many vegans eat chips/fries and veggie burgers with similar or same vats/grills.

Depends on where in the world you live. In my area (Scandinavia) it is extremely rare to find chips fried in anything else than vegetable oil, but it's more common in other countries. In my experience, chips that you get in America, that are non-vegan are usually crispier, but I doubt I could safely say that means I could identify them in a chip line up, haha. I get that it might feel awkward to ask but if you have a corner chippy or shop you always go to, you would just have to ask once.

In the UK (and Scandinavia) McDonald's chips are vegan so that could be a safe bet if you don't want to ask first.

In the US McDonald's fries aren't vegan because they actually fry them in beef tallow. Also there are Mexican restaurants who use lard. That isn't vegan either.

I guess I addressed it more like simply "fried in the same vegetable oil."

I'm referring to the same kind of salty, crunchy, steamy chips that are typically sold at chicken or fish takeaway shops. I realise they are made from potatoes which are vegan, what I am concerned about is if the oil used to fry them has anything non-vegan. If your answer is "it depends on the store", could you please also describe how I can know without needing to ask a staff. I love fried chips, they are my go to food when I am depressed. I don't know how I can live without it. Any opinions you may have regarding this post is appreciated.

I know fish and chip shops around where I am at do not have separate fry vats for non-animal foods, so the chances are your fried chips will be fried in the same oil as the fish and other animal products are.

What this amounts to in terms of ingestion is an interesting question from strictly vegan perspective.

What it amounts to in terms of health is undisputed, even if the oil was only used to fry non-animal foods, it would still be terrible for you, first because oil is a junk food that contributes almost nothing but a little vitamin E in it's pure form, and second because it's fried - destroyed and containing trans fats.

Reactions: Emma JC