Animal hide from animals that died of natural causes

sarrah

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi,

Ive been vegan now since 3 yrs and Im thinking that it makes sense to use the hide of an animal once its died of natural causes. Or else its a waste?? Can anyone shed some light on this? Excuse the pun

That is a reasonable argument (at least in theory). I think using the hide would be either less immoral, or not immoral at all (although not technically vegan).

A possible argument against would be that it might be distasteful or direspectful to the animal involved. I mean, would you like somone wearing your skin after you die? And if you think it's fundamentally wrong to wear human skin, why is it fundamentally not wrong at all to wear animal skin? Well I don't know for sure that answers to that and I don't think it's important, but well just giving some food for thought. I guess personally I wouldn't do it but I don''t mind if others do.

Another argument would be that people would see you wearing animal fur but not understand it had died of natural causes and it would be very confusing if you say you were vegan. If the hide were used not for clothes but something else that could be an issue.

Now, in practice, where are you going to find dead animal hides? As a commercial enterprise, it doesn't seem at first glance to make sense and an animal that has just died make have poor quality hide or even diseased.

Hi Jamie,

It just makes sense that when animals die instead of just being crimated the vets would examine the animal to make sure they didn't die from a disease well not a contagious one anyway and the leather would then be treated and used. Humans donate organs when they die so why shouldnt animals donate? Synthetic leather is so bad for the environment, human and animal health. The whole process is awful and unfortuantely not everything can be made out of non animal natural fibres some things need to have a more robust exteria such as car seats, shoes, bags etc... I do classify myself as a vegan because I believe animals deserve to enjoy their time on this planet as much as us. But when that time is up I dont see anything wrong with making good use of what is no longer needed by the animal. Humans have rights animals have rights but we cant say ' would you wear human skin ' because that is not humanily morally correct because we are humans and we have a different purpose on this earth. Thats like saying ' animals should contribute to paying tax on the land they inhabite ' can you see my point? We all have a purpose and although humans are the more advanced species it dosent give us the right to end animal lives for our own gratification. But I see no issue with making use of something once the animal has passed away naturally.