Am i the only one who hates these things...

Jenjen

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello, unfortunately I really don't like a few things that always seem to come up as vegan options. These are, bananas, peppers, mushrooms and raisins! I like pretty much everything else but these always seem to be in a lot of recipes! Any advice? (And yes I have been trying to 'like' them over the years but I really don't!)

Bananas. I love bananas. They are just so convenient. and high in quite a few hard to get minerals. Everyone makes a big deal of their potassium content (425 around 10% of the mRDA). but really it's not that high. You would have to eat 10 a day. there are plenty of other good vegan sources of potassium. A white potato with skin has like 900! Coconut milk has 400, french fries - 470. Spinach 838, and white beans 1000!!
Magnesium is another mineral that bananas contain. but lots of foods have more. Whole wheat bread, quinoa, spinach, all have more.
Bananas have a high percentage of the RDA of Maganese. Tofu and potatoes both contain it too.
Sure Bananas are great. but they are not super great. Almost any kind of fruit can replace them. and now you have a good excuse to eat potatoes.

Peppers. What kind of peppers? Not all kinds??!! I don't like spicy foods so I don't eat any of those kinds of peppers. But I like bell peppers. And I use them in my cooking. but again there is nothing super about peppers. you can live without them. and the hot ones I always leave out of my recipes. My chili is sort of bland but I use more garlic and onion to make up for it.

I love mushrooms. but I'm pretty sure I could live without them. The big deal about them is all the micronutrients and phytonutrients they contain. But again nothing irreplaceable. Just like peppers - there are dozens of different kinds. maybe you just haven't tried the right one. I don't think there is any problem leaving them out of recipes either. If you don't like portobello mushroom burgers - then have a bean burger. If you don't like them in your stir-fry, then just add more tofu or maybe water chestnuts.

Raisins are absolutely no big deal. They are just dried up grapes. I think of them as little sugar bombs. I like them in my oatmeal in the morning or in my oatmeal cookies. but there are other things you can add to either. Check out the bulk food aisle in the grocery store. they should have a variety of dried up fruit. You can sample some (just don't tell them I said you could) and find one you like instead.

BTW, I do not like Kale. or tahini sauce. I can sort of handle kale in smoothies but I have given up buying it. It just goes bad in the bottom of the frig. Tahini sauce is pretty easy to avoid unless you stop at the falafel truck for lunch. I think I might be allergic to tahini. Whenever I eat it, the top of my mouth itches.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/Nutrition/PotassiumHandout.pdf
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318595.php

Reactions: Forest Nymph
I agree in viewing mushrooms as detestable, and that mushrooms are unfortunately common in vegan meals, such as at restaurants. It is unfortunate, especially with it being the case that some of us are really plant-based vegans, and those are not plants or from plants at all. I will just stick with what is edible from plants, but those are Opisthokonts, which should not be counted in plates of vegetables.

If you mean banana as egg replacement, you can also use pumpkin, ground flax seeds in a bit of water, aquafaba (chickpea water from the can), and actual vegan egg products that may cost a bit more. If you mean banana as a food...well, there are other fruits, obviously. In smoothies you can use soy milk and protein powder or peanut butter instead of bananas.

If you don't like peppers, that's a personal preference just leave them out and use onions or garlic.

As for mushrooms, they do tend to be a hearty ingredient in a lot of vegan dishes, like gravies and sandwiches and pastas, but you can make vegan gravies without mushrooms and if you worry about protein, use nuts in pasta dishes instead of mushrooms (pine nuts, pecans, or walnuts) and just simply choose different recipes?

I love all of these things so I don't relate, but hopefully this information will help you.

Reactions: Lou