Am I eating well?

Gaby

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have decided that the month of November I am going to try eating only vegan meals and to learn about the vegan lifestyle. It has been two weeks and I have stuck to proper foods maybe 85 percent of the time. I am not perfect. So far I am enjoying the process, but it also has been a bit stressful. I want to outline a meal for one day, and if anyone has any input on it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Breakfast: half a cantaloupe
Snack: 2 bananas (sometimes more if I am hungry)
Lunch: 2 1/2 cups of plain pasta
Snack: It varies at this point from asian rice cakes to more bananas
Dinner: Usually 2 sweet potatoes with rice and veggies( including leafy greens)
And a lot of water throughout the day.

Any tips and advice would appreciated.
- Gabs

Breakfast looks a bit light, does that fill you up?

If you want to make the pasta more interesting, mix in some vegetables and/or peppers. Or, if you really prefer to keep it simple, fair enough.

Everything you are eating seems fine. You could try adding a source of Omega 3 - either chia seeds or walnuts. If it's chia seeds you can sprinkle it into your dinner. If it's walnuts as a snack. There are other things you could add I can tell you about if you like and if you haven't read anything on nutrition but there's no hurry.

If you are feeling like you are getting tasty and filling food then you are probably fine.

That looks fairly sparse to me. I would personally be starving after just eating that for a day. :) I would also add some beans and veggies to that pasta, maybe even a sauce. How about some mushrooms, onions, and this sauce: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/20/cauli-power-fettuccine-alfredo-vegan/

Any reason you are avoiding nuts and seeds? One of my favorite breakfasts, especially before an intensive workout, is fresh fruit and whole almonds. The almonds keep my blood sugar stable and give me stamina, and the fresh fruit gives me energy and clarity.

Beans are very nutritious as far as calcium fiber, protein, and other nutrients, and are a staple for many vegans. Might be something to consider adding. Nuts and seeds provide omega 3 fatty acids, but if you don't want to eat them or can't, avocado and LOTS of leafy greens each day can also meet those needs.

Whole grains are nice for texture and variety. There are many to choose from...brown or wild rice, millet, barley, quinoa, couscous, buckwheat groats...I find them very filling and satiating. A favorite is cooked millet with sauted chickpeas, chopped carrot, onion, and shredded unsweetened coconut (or fresh chopped/shaved coconut). I like to add spices like curry, turmeric, ginger, garlic powder or minced fresh garlic. Spices can really add a lot of flavor and enjoyment to food.

Reactions: Apetamin
Every day I have a green smoothie - it's a great way to get the essentials into your diet.

I add the greens, a carrot or other vegetable, fruit, whole flaxseeds, raw sunflower seeds, dates (if I want more sweetness), and green protein powder. I usually make mine with filtered water, but you can use a nut milk if you prefer.

For breakfast, I make organic oatmeal and load it up with fruit, such as raisins, dates, apples and plenty of cinnamon. I make a big batch so I have it on-hand during the week.

For dinner I have homemade soup in the refrigerator and freezer. I use lentils, split peas, or lima beans with plenty of vegetables and greens.

This basic diet makes it easy, so I don't don't have a lot of food prep and it ensures I don't have any food cravings which I always get when I eat grains. For that reason I have also eliminated grains and all sugars. Once a week I'll make a new raw or other vegan recipe. Even though I enjoy these new recipes, I seem to stay with my basic menu!

Reactions: Apetamin
Gabs, if your goal is to lose weight, and you do not exercise much, then the daily menu that you posted looks pretty solid.

Gab

Hi Gabs,
Your diet looks like it is definitely getting enough carbs. I would also recommend adding a lot more greens into your diet to multiply the amount of micro nutrients you're already getting with fruits. I also see that there is no source of protein what so ever in your daily diet. I would incorporate black beans, lentils, split peas, garbanzo beans etc to add more protein and fiber. Also a quick, easy, delicious way to get protein is making a nutrition fruit and greens smoothie using a vegan protein powder. There are a ton of vegan protein powders on the market these days, the most legitimate ones are Real Pro Life Nutrition and Vega Sport in my opinion. I hope this advice helps.