Am I considered Flexitarian?

Stardust1986

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
  2. Flexitarian
I was a successful 100% vegan for 6+ months, and of course I had cravings during that time. Eventually, I failed, I couldnt give up my favorite foods forever, and feel like an 85 - 95% plant based diet is more realistic for me in the long run. There is no substitute for some things, and I realized if i have just a little freedom with a plant based diet, I wont give up completely. I didnt forget the things I learned, and my opinions havent changed, I'm a good cook, but I dont want to give up my favorite foods forever, I dont think I can be 100% plant based forever, with no freedom to have the foods I love, even as a rare treat. Am I considered flexitarian? What is your opinion about my experience ?

What you call your diet I think is what works best for you. I can really appreciate that you recognise how you do best without completely giving in and going right back to an omni diet
Flexitarian may be technically correct, but I don't ever hear anyone say it, instead I hear "mostly", or try and stick to.... For myself I usually say I try and stay vegan, because I'm not as strict about all the ingredients. It keeps people from expecting me to eat dairy or egg, but also keeps others from picking on me for eating some random candy!
Say what feels right for you, change it for different situations.
Or 'mostly plant based' works, that takes the edge of the word 'vegan'

What you call your diet I think is what works best for you. I can really appreciate that you recognise how you do best without completely giving in and going right back to an omni diet
Flexitarian may be technically correct, but I don't ever hear anyone say it, instead I hear "mostly", or try and stick to.... For myself I usually say I try and stay vegan, because I'm not as strict about all the ingredients. It keeps people from expecting me to eat dairy or egg, but also keeps others from picking on me for eating some random candy!
Say what feels right for you, change it for different situations.
Or 'mostly plant based' works, that takes the edge of the word 'vegan'
I appreciate your response. The term vegan does come with such a sense of strictness, I ordered veggie fajitas the other day, but I never ask if its prepared on the same grill as the meat, it probably is, but I have to eat lunch at work sometimes, and it's the best choice for plant based. I just am not sure how strict the term vegan is, flexitarian suggests "meatless Mondays," but most months I dont have any meat or animal products at all. I appreciate that you care I'm doing my best : )

Reactions: silva and Brian W
I'm not 100% vegan but that is the label I use because it conveys the appropiate information.

The definition of began (from the Vegan Society) includes words like "strive" and "practical and possible"
So I don't think you have to be perfect to use the word vegan. Just try to be perfect.

I don't worry about cross contamination. How does that help animals. and I don't check out every ingredient.

I'm not 100% vegan but that is the label I use because it conveys the appropiate information.

The definition of began (from the Vegan Society) includes words like "strive" and "practical and possible"
So I don't think you have to be perfect to use the word vegan. Just try to be perfect.

I don't worry about cross contamination. How does that help animals. and I don't check out every ingredient.
Wow, thank you, I expected a much stricter response. I felt like although I tried, I still failed, because I wasnt strict about it, but still followed the principles. Thank you

I love the philosophy of doing your best, keep trying, and prevent suffering to the best of your ability, it focuses more on the positives than the negatives

Cross contamination mostly grosses me out because I don't want my food to have any sort of meat/animal flavor, but that's just me. I think "strive" and "practical and possible" are different for everyone, and I applaud any reduction in the consumption of animals and products derived from them. You have to start somewhere.

I was a successful 100% vegan for 6+ months, and of course I had cravings during that time. Eventually, I failed, I couldnt give up my favorite foods forever, and feel like an 85 - 95% plant based diet is more realistic for me in the long run. There is no substitute for some things, and I realized if i have just a little freedom with a plant based diet, I wont give up completely. I didnt forget the things I learned, and my opinions havent changed, I'm a good cook, but I dont want to give up my favorite foods forever, I dont think I can be 100% plant based forever, with no freedom to have the foods I love, even as a rare treat. Am I considered flexitarian? What is your opinion about my experience ?

Yes, you are a flexitarian.

I'm just curious to know which are the foods that you are not willing to give up?

''Currently, flexitarians account for one in eight (12%) of the British public (8% of men and 15% of women), while 6% say they are strictly vegetarian. Pescatarians account for 3% of the population, while 2% of Brits say they follow a vegan diet and lifestyle. Plant-based diets are more popular among younger generations'.'

Reactions: Andy_T
I have always liked the term Flexatarian.
but I find its meaning too vague to be useful in certain settings if you are "almost vegan"
I think almost vegan, or mostly vegan to be more useful. Or just vegan without the modifiers.

Yes, you are a flexitarian.

I'm just curious to know which are the foods that you are not willing to give up?

''Currently, flexitarians account for one in eight (12%) of the British public (8% of men and 15% of women), while 6% say they are strictly vegetarian. Pescatarians account for 3% of the population, while 2% of Brits say they follow a vegan diet and lifestyle. Plant-based diets are more popular among younger generations'.'

My favorite food is whole fresh lobster with a butter lemon sauce. The other two things I love is a fine blue cheese, and a good steak, I like to eat these foods as is. I can avoid all these things the vast majority of the time, but I dont believe I can give them up for life.

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W
I also really like the first two but for me the welfare of the animal is more important. However in the UK there are a few vegan artisan brands that make both blue and semi side cheeses that taste
Like dairy.
Having been to the US I find that there is far less choice as there are few flexes.

I also really like the first two but for me the welfare of the animal is more important. However in the UK there are a few vegan artisan brands that make both blue and semi side cheeses that taste
Like dairy.
Having been to the US I find that there is far less choice as there are few flexes.
There are more choices here recently, the grocery store I go to now offers a variety of cheese substitutes, including blue cheese, although I think it's better as a topping to a sandwich than eaten plain. I'm not a big fan of many of the substitutes, but my favorites are the vegan mayo, vegan fish sauce, and the wonton wrappers.

There are more choices here recently, the grocery store I go to now offers a variety of cheese substitutes, including blue cheese, although I think it's better as a topping to a sandwich than eaten plain. I'm not a big fan of many of the substitutes, but my favorites are the vegan mayo, vegan fish sauce, and the wonton wrappers.

I wasn’t impressed with most of the Pb cheezes in the US. Perhaps I didn’t find the right one.
Mayo is easy to make as are lots of other recipes.

I wasn’t impressed with most of the Pb cheezes in the US. Perhaps I didn’t find the right one.
Mayo is easy to make as are lots of other recipes.
I love to cook, and try new recipes, my favorites are Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, and Mexican. I prefer whole foods, but the substitues are necessary sometimes for certain recipes. I think PB cheeses are relatively new, and will get much better in time, they may even surpass milk based cheeses in taste one day

I have always liked the term Flexatarian.
but I find its meaning too vague to be useful in certain settings if you are "almost vegan"
I think almost vegan, or mostly vegan to be more useful. Or just vegan without the modifiers.
It is very vague, and most of the recources I found encouraged occasional meat and dairy consumption, the strictest being at least once a week. I agreed with those in the comments who said the point is to eat as little meat and dairy as you can possibly manage, the goal is a plant based diet. I think "almost vegan" is much less vague

Reactions: Lou
It is very vague, and most of the recources I found encouraged occasional meat and dairy consumption, the strictest being at least once a week. I agreed with those in the comments who said the point is to eat as little meat and dairy as you can possibly manage, the goal is a plant based diet. I think "mostly vegan" is much less vague

My favorite food is whole fresh lobster with a butter lemon sauce. The other two things I love is a fine blue cheese, and a good steak, I like to eat these foods as is. I can avoid all these things the vast majority of the time, but I dont believe I can give them up for life.
Ha! I used to love steak and lobster. never a fan of bleu cheese, tho.
I don't see much of a problem if you had steak once a year on your birthday and lobster once a year on NYE.
BTW, there are some vegans who have found a justification for eating lobsters. I can't remember what they call themselves or what their justification is. The vegans who eat oysters call themselves bivalve vegans. And their justification is the oyster industry helps purify the water. But that is sort of weak. you could just have oyster farms and pay the farmers not to harvest the oysters. Plus if you stopped harvesting oysters you might not even need to cultivate them.
For oysters and lobsters part of the arguement is how could they be sentient? they don't even have brains. but despite oysters and lobsters not having brains they do experience pain.
My conclusion is to just leave seafood off my plate. The oceans need to heal or we all die.

I don't see much of a problem if you had steak once a year on your birthday and lobster once a year on NYE.
BTW, there are some vegans who have found a justification for eating lobsters. I can't remember what they call themselves or what their justification is. The vegans who eat oysters call themselves bivalve vegans. And their justification is the oyster industry helps purify the water. But that is sort of weak. you could just have oyster farms and pay the farmers not to harvest the oysters. Plus if you stopped harvesting oysters you might not even need to cultivate them.
For oysters and lobsters part of the arguement is how could they be sentient? they don't even have brains. but despite oysters and lobsters not having brains they do experience pain.
My conclusion is to just leave seafood off my plate. The oceans need to heal or we all die.
once a year would appease my cravings for these foods, that's some freedom, and that's all I need. The truth is I crave the taste of those things, and acknowledge it is selfish to value taste over creulty and exploitation. However, I try to keep in mind how important taste is to the human experience, and giving up meat and dairy forever is very difficult for many people. If everyone just ate more plant based, it could make so much difference

once a year would appease my cravings for these foods, that's some freedom, and that's all I need. The truth is I crave the taste of those things, and acknowledge it is selfish to value taste over creulty and exploitation. However, I try to keep in mind how important taste is to the human experience, and giving up meat and dairy forever is very difficult for many people. If everyone just ate more plant based, it could make so much difference, even if some couldnt be completely vegan

Reactions: Brian W