Alternative to feather pillows

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Has anyone found a vegan alternative to feather and down pillows? I used to have them and the spongy things just don't cut it. Tried a memory foam one too but still not getting as good a night's sleep :-( xxx

I've never slept on a down or feather pillow before. All my pillows have been regular foam or cotton stuffed ones. Have you tried those?

I always hated feather pillows before, so I dunno if it's a good solution, but I use a buckwheat hull pillow and I love it very very much.

Also, maybe try some melatonin before bed. It may help. Your pillow might never be as comfortable, but you can be happy about not contributing to the suffering of geese. :)

Hmm.. I always preferred cotton stuffed.. :shrug:
Maybe because that's what I grew up with.

I always hated feather pillows before, so I dunno if it's a good solution, but I use a buckwheat hull pillow and I love it very very much.
I had a buckwheat pillow, but it was so loud when I moved my head! I loved that it kept my head cool, but I kept waking myself up with the bucwheat sounds. :D
I love my memory foam pillow I got from Target. It fixed my bad neck; it is a countoured kind. I bring it with me if I sleep elsewhere. :)

Same here. Never used feather ones just cotton stuffed. Hollow fibre. I got mine from Marks and Spencer outlet. So they were cheaper.

Also, maybe try some melatonin before bed. It may help. Your pillow might never be as comfortable, but you can be happy about not contributing to the suffering of geese. :)

You can't buy melatonin over here, it's prescrption only.

Anywhooo Ive always hated down/feather pillows. Maybe its just cause they were cheap but the feather bits poked out and stabbed you. I have a cheap memory foam one and it does the trick. You may be best off going somewhere where they have test beds/pillows like ikea and just trying to find one you like.

I had a buckwheat pillow, but it was so loud when I moved my head! I loved that it kept my head cool, but I kept waking myself up with the bucwheat sounds. :D
I love my memory foam pillow I got from Target. It fixed my bad neck; it is a countoured kind. I bring it with me if I sleep elsewhere. :)

It is loud, I remember waking myself up at the beginning. But we got used to it I guess, cause now it feels like the only pillow option out there. :shrug:

Reactions: ledboots
I am strangely fascinated with this thread.

I'm convinced Mary stole her gel fiber pillow from a Fairmont hotel (along with the tiny shampoos of course).
I keep picturing Kazy and Ledboots sleeping on a hay stuffed pillows when I read "buckwheat pillow".
And a place where down pillows are cheap and melatonin can't be found at every drug store, grocery store, or discount store is bizarre to me.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
It's like another world!

I'm a filthy hippie, so a straw-stuffed pillow isn't entirely out of the realm of possibilities, but buckwheat hulls is more like... a light, softish bean bag. Buckwheat hulls are little 3D triangles (whatever a 3D triangle is called, I'm sure there is a name).

It's like another world!

I'm a filthy hippie, so a straw-stuffed pillow isn't entirely out of the realm of possibilities, but buckwheat hulls is more like... a light, softish bean bag. Buckwheat hulls are little 3D triangles (whatever a 3D triangle is called, I'm sure there is a name).

Pyramid?

I just use hollow fibre pillows. I had to sleep on a down one at my aunt's house, and I constantly had the sharp bits poking me in the face. Not good.

I got a memory foam pillow because I was tired of the regular fiber-stuffed pillows going flat after about a month.

Now two months or so later, the memory foam pillow is going flat. Maybe I should have stayed on the new-pillow-once-a-month plan?

I hate throwing all those pillows away, but I cannot sleep on a flat pillow.