Alternative to feather pillows

I still have my very old, very expensive feather pillow. I'm an insomniac and the world's fussiest sleeper and I have no idea what I'll do when its time is done. Probably won't use anything, actually because I'll never sleep again.

Just a thought...
Maybe it takes more than a few days to get used to a non-feather pillow.

^Oh, I don't know if that's directed at me, but my insomnia is related to PTSD, so it's not as simple as a few days to adjust and everything will be fine, but I'm sure it is for some people.

Ah.. Didn't know.
Was directed to anyone who is used to feathered pillows? :p

I got a memory foam pillow because I was tired of the regular fiber-stuffed pillows going flat after about a month.

Now two months or so later, the memory foam pillow is going flat. Maybe I should have stayed on the new-pillow-once-a-month plan?

I hate throwing all those pillows away, but I cannot sleep on a flat pillow.

I'm the complete opposite. I can only sleep with a flat pillow. The big poofy ones hurt my neck. I also hate throwing away old pillows and I tend to use them until they are paper thin even though I have a couple of brand new cheap ones still in the plastic waiting to be used.

Reactions: KLS52
I'm the complete opposite. I can only sleep with a flat pillow. The big poofy ones hurt my neck. I also hate throwing away old pillows and I tend to use them until they are paper thin even though I have a couple of brand new cheap ones still in the plastic waiting to be used.

My husband likes flat pillows. Sometimes I can just give him my old flat one, and he throws his extra flat one away, but sometimes mine aren't flat enough for him.

When I was a kid, they had to stop giving me feather pillows because I'd go all OCD and stay up all night pulling out all the feathers I could. :|

Reactions: kazyeeqen
I never liked feather pillows because of the poking. I would also pull out the feathers. And I'd be confused by why there were feathers in my pillow. It didn't make any sense. I like flat pillows because I put my arm under my pillow under my head and I like that combination to be exactly the same height as my shoulder, which is big for a girl, but still not that big.

For those of you who go through a lot of pillows, maybe you could check with some local shelters whether they would have a use for them, as cat beds.

Reactions: KLS52
I am strangely fascinated with this thread.

I'm convinced Mary stole her gel fiber pillow from a Fairmont hotel (along with the tiny shampoos of course).
I keep picturing Kazy and Ledboots sleeping on a hay stuffed pillows when I read "buckwheat pillow".
And a place where down pillows are cheap and melatonin can't be found at every drug store, grocery store, or discount store is bizarre to me.

I work for their retail department so I got to BUY the pillow! You can buy them online! lol But I do take all the little shampoos and lotions and stuff when I stay at the hotels. Well, you're supposed to take them! What do you think they do? Leave them for the next guest? hehe gross.

I work for their retail department so I got to BUY the pillow! You can buy them online! lol But I do take all the little shampoos and lotions and stuff when I stay at the hotels. Well, you're supposed to take them! What do you think they do? Leave them for the next guest? hehe gross.

Of course they are! I don't trust those people that don't take them.:p

Reactions: Kitties
Of course they are! I don't trust those people that don't take them.:p

At the county hospital I used to work at, they have this frequent travelers program whereby frequent travelers who work at the hospital collect and save all those little bottles of stuff they get at hotels. Then they donate them to the hospital and in turn the hospital gives them to their patients who need them. A lot of patients at this hospital are indigent and have little money and often no insurance. They come to the hospital with little or no necessities such as shampoo and conditioner, so having these donated to them is a big help. That's something to think about if you collect a lot of this stuff and decide you can't use them for some reason (i.e. they're not animal friendly or you just don't like them). A hospital or homeless shelter would probably love such a donation. :)

At the county hospital I used to work at, they have this frequent travelers program whereby frequent travelers who work at the hospital collect and save all those little bottles of stuff they get at hotels. Then they donate them to the hospital and in turn the hospital gives them to their patients who need them. A lot of patients at this hospital are indigent and have little money and often no insurance. They come to the hospital with little or no necessities such as shampoo and conditioner, so having these donated to them is a big help. That's something to think about if you collect a lot of this stuff and decide you can't use them for some reason (i.e. they're not animal friendly or you just don't like them). A hospital or homeless shelter would probably love such a donation. :)
Our hospital supplies these necessities for patients who need them. Toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, lotion, etc. We always need current magazines and any books, though, and clothes, as some of the ER frequent flyers are in need of clean clothes and some shoes.

Once my mom gave a huge bag of hotel mini things that she had stashed to a shelter for pregnant teens, and said she got hugged enough to last her a month. :D

I also have a buckwheat pillow, which i have had for about 11 years, i bought it from The Natural Wheat Bag Co. in the UK. Bit pricey, cost about £25 but it's also made from organic cotton.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Has anyone found a vegan alternative to feather and down pillows? I used to have them and the spongy things just don't cut it. Tried a memory foam one too but still not getting as good a night's sleep :-( xxx

My husband has his favorite in the world feather down pillow. Since becoming vegan I've been cutting those types of things out as we replace them. We tried wool filled, latex shaped, shredded, cotton, etc. I finally found a kapok pillow that is a down-like vegan option.
http://www.purerest.com/Organic-Sheets-Pads-Toppers-Blankets-Comforters/Kapok-Pillows

We are loving them!

jjd

I have a v-shaped hollow fiber pillow. My grandad got a v-shaped pillow to support his neck/shoulders better, and I tried it and fell in love. I need to make some pretty pillow cases for them though, I can only find white.

I was obsessed with my parent's V pillow when I was a little kid. They used to let me use it when I was coughing (a lot) and I ended up only being able to sleep on it for yeaaars. I dont remember when that obsession stopped actually, weird. It was pink so funky cases existed in the early 90s at least!

I really want a Tempur pillow, but I dont think I could ever justify spending £100 on one.

I was obsessed with my parent's V pillow when I was a little kid. They used to let me use it when I was coughing (a lot) and I ended up only being able to sleep on it for yeaaars. I dont remember when that obsession stopped actually, weird. It was pink so funky cases existed in the early 90s at least!

I really want a Tempur pillow, but I dont think I could ever justify spending £100 on one.
Target has faux temperpedic pillows for $25-ish on sale. I have one that is made to.sleep on your side and it is great for my prone to be sore neck. I love this pillow and waited for a sale to buy a back up.

This one looks smaller and different than mine, but it's this shape.
http://m.target.com/p/room-essentials-contour-memory-foam-pillow-white/-/A-10496103
7ana6are.jpg

I went to Dunelm (UK) just before Xmas and got myself one if their hotel 'down-like' pillows...an alternative to feather pillows :) feels v similar. Not exactly the same.

Comes without the guilt and feathers poking me in the face! X