Alternative Cab Companies: Lyft and Uber

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I have never used these, and have just heard of them very recently.

Has anyone used them? What was your experience like?

Their business seems to be based on Smart Phone apps. I don't have a Smart Phone, and would be reluctant to get one just because I might want to call a cab someday.

I did not see anything on their websites indicating how a person like me could contact either company. No phone number, no e-mail address.

ETA: I was mistaken. There was an e-mail address at the bottom of Lyft's "Terms of Service" document.

Last edited:
When they were here in Los Angeles last month, AeryFairy and her husband used Uber to get from their hotel in West Hollywood to Santa Monica, and back again. You can ask Aery what they thought of their experience the next time she's on the board. I have not had any personal experience with these companies.

I recently used Uber to get to Logan (airport) in Boston. They were fast and much more friendly and a bit cheaper than the crappy city cabs!!

Reactions: Joe
I recently used Uber to get to Logan (airport) in Boston. They were fast and much more friendly and a bit cheaper than the crappy city cabs!!

Thanks. I assume you have a SmartPhone and used their app?

When they were here in Los Angeles last month, AeryFairy and her husband used Uber to get from their hotel in West Hollywood to Santa Monica, and back again. You can ask Aery what they thought of their experience the next time she's on the board. I have not had any personal experience with these companies.

Thanks, Amy. :)

I have never used these, and have just heard of them very recently.

Has anyone used them? What was your experience like?

Their business seems to be based on Smart Phone apps. I don't have a Smart Phone, and would be reluctant to get one just because I might want to call a cab someday.

I did not see anything on their websites indicating how a person like me could contact either company. No phone number, no e-mail address.

ETA: I was mistaken. There was an e-mail address at the bottom of Lyft's "Terms of Service" document.
My husband doesn't drive much, and I had our car at work, so just the other day my husband used lyft to go to an appointment.

He said that a nice older English- speaking guy picked him up in a 2013 van-type car (his description lol), and it cost about half of what a cab would have. He got a credit off because it was his first lyft, so he was generous with the tip. :D

Husband said he'll use lyft again. He's new to smart phones, having given in last year because the screens are so easy to read.

I have friends in Manhattan who love Uber desperately also :D

Reactions: Joe
My husband doesn't drive much, and I had our car at work, so just the other day my husband used lyft to go to an appointment.

He said that a nice older English- speaking guy picked him up in a 2013 van-type car (his description lol), and it cost about half of what a cab would have. He got a credit off because it was his first lyft, so he was generous with the tip. :D

Husband said he'll use lyft again. He's new to smart phones, having given in last year because the screens are so easy to read.

I have friends in Manhattan who love Uber desperately also :D

That's very interesting. Especially the part about "cost about half" since Scorpius said hers was "a bit cheaper" than a regular cab.
The fellow who told me about these services also said they cost half what regular cabs cost.

Reactions: ledboots
I was being told about Uber the other day and how cheap it was. I don't get cabs enough to really worry about it - maybe once or twice a year and never more than 15 miles.

I am unsure how safe it is. If I am booking a taxi I use a local reputable company, and have never felt unsafe. I'm not sure I'd want to get in a car with some random person I found on an app. The website says they're background checked but I'd want more info.

Reactions: KLS52

Yes we did, and we used them a lot more after that! Uber have been great, and we've used them back here in the UK too. Much better than taxis in my opinion - easier to book, you know exactly when they're turning up, and so much cheaper. Plus, with everything being charged directly to a card, I don't have to worry about carrying enough cash.

I was being told about Uber the other day and how cheap it was. I don't get cabs enough to really worry about it - maybe once or twice a year and never more than 15 miles.

I am unsure how safe it is. If I am booking a taxi I use a local reputable company, and have never felt unsafe. I'm not sure I'd want to get in a car with some random person I found on an app. The website says they're background checked but I'd want more info.

Seems safe enough to me - the drivers seem to have been checked out as much as with any other company. You rate all your drivers after each journey (and they rate you as a customer), and the company follows up on low ratings. The app gives you the name, license plate, average rating, and a photo of your driver before the car turns up.

Reactions: ledboots
In the beginning it was just supposed to be for people to get a ride with someone going the same way, which was a great idea. But now they have drivers on call waiting to pick up passengers, which makes them a cab company, not a rideshare program, and I think they should be subject to the same rules and regulations as cab companies.

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
So I decided to book a cab with Uber a few weeks ago, as my friends were all using it and insisted it was fine. The app said it'd be £10 from the town I was in to home, which was good (around 3 or 4 miles). I used the inbuilt GPS to tell them where I was. Cabbie has a 4.5* rating.

He then calls me asking where I am. "London Road" I say, "opposite Waitrose". The driver says he can't see any shops. I say that the road's full of them could he have the wrong road? Man hangs up on me. He then calls again and says he's outside Asda. I have no idea where he is as there is no Asda in the town I'm in. I explain to him he must be in the wrong town as there is no Asda and he hangs up on me. Because they call using a secure line there's no way I can call him back. I then get a message on Uber saying " Receipt - £5 for your journey". He'd charged me for a cab I'd never bene in! So I hail a black cab and pay £17 to get home. I got in at 4am which is disgusting considering I requested the Uber ride at around 2.30. Luckily my boyfriend was with me (it's worth noting that Uber only does 1 stop. So you can't share with a friend), else I'd have been left alone.

I got my money back from Uber after complaining (which I may note, you can ONLY do it on a computer, not through the app). Still.. Hmph. Apparently I had a bad experience, but it's put me right off.

I had less-than-glorious experiences with regular taxi drivers in Germany (think Cab-driver-is-drunk-causes-accident-and-starts-to-argue-with-police) and even worse ones in other countries.

Hard to believe that un-vetted strangers would provide a better experience. So I try to use my car, motorbike, walk or use public transport (bus/underground/tram) wherever possible.

That said, I sometimes use myTeksi (the Malaysian version of "grabTaxi.com") when I can not use my car or motorbike and when there is no chance to get a cab here in Kuala Lumpur otherwise.

Situations when you have a very hard time to get a taxi here typically include times when there is little traffic, much traffic, rain, sunshine, day or night, during weekdays or weekends :)

The advantage of using the smartphone app is that you can enter the tip that you are willing to give to the driver to make it more attractive to pick you up.

Best regards,
Andy