All walks of life

Sykeiessss

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am opening a small bistro/small plates restaurant and would love to hear what some of your favourite things are to eat from started to dessert, I’ve been a chef for a long time but there is always more to learn, I think nothing better would give me the best idea to create something fantastic than speaking to you all so please do feel free to ask questions and or give me ideas, thank you in advance x

I don't think you need to create something 'fantastic' as plant based foods are already fantastic. I would love to know that there was a bistro that I could go to that had simple whole food menu options that were low in oils, salts and sugars. Things like hearty bean, vegetable chili with a side of cornbread, simple tacos with tasty beans and vegetables to put in and nice spicy salsas and hot sauces. Maybe even some hearty soups, tomato with rice, lentil vegetable etc with lovely whole wheat bread for dipping.... Sides of baked fries (chips to you) and sweet potato chips. So many simple great options. Nice Cream (banana) with fruits for dessert.

In the past 2 years and 8 months I have eaten out only a handful of times and that is because even at the vegan restaurants the choices are complicated or full or oils and the desserts are full of sugar. Simple hardy tasty meals.... please. (I have cousins in Manchester I'll send them to try it out).

Emma JC

PS welcome to the forum

Reactions: Lou
I don't think you need to create something 'fantastic' as plant based foods are already fantastic. I would love to know that there was a bistro that I could go to that had simple whole food menu options that were low in oils, salts and sugars. Things like hearty bean, vegetable chili with a side of cornbread, simple tacos with tasty beans and vegetables to put in and nice spicy salsas and hot sauces. Maybe even some hearty soups, tomato with rice, lentil vegetable etc with lovely whole wheat bread for dipping.... Sides of baked fries (chips to you) and sweet potato chips. So many simple great options. Nice Cream (banana) with fruits for dessert.

In the past 2 years and 8 months I have eaten out only a handful of times and that is because even at the vegan restaurants the choices are complicated or full or oils and the desserts are full of sugar. Simple hardy tasty meals.... please. (I have cousins in Manchester I'll send them to try it out).

Emma JC

PS welcome to the forum
Hi Emma,

Thank you for your reply,

The bistro itself is not going to be just vegan food alone it will have a dedicated section on the menu,
I was thinking something alone the lines of a hearty bean stew, and a chilli like you said
The taco idea is fantastic and will be something I will incorporate

Most vegans I have spoke to recently have all pretty much said the same thing like things are always just packed out with spices or very oily, I don’t want to do anything like that I want the vegetable to speak for itself, how do you feel about buffalo cauliflower with some kind of aioli dip?

Thank you
Jamie

Once I ordered a salad, 'cause wanted to eat more healthy, and it was drenched in oil. It was an abomination.
If in your bistro the oil on the salad is obligatory, you could maybe pack it on a different container, so that the customer can decide whether to use the oil and how much. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One question I do have is pasta? It is made with egg yolks? Is this something you would eat or wouldnt?

Absolutely not. There is no reason to have egg in pasta. Pasta is a staple in my diet and none of the various ones I use have eggs in them.

Buffalo cauliflower with dip is great - just be very sure that your aioli dip is vegan also. One of my greatest disappointments this year was going to a restaurant and they served buffalo cauliflower with aioli and yet the aioli was not vegan. I would have had a second order of it if they had had the proper sauce as I love the combo taste.

Emma JC

Reactions: Deleted member 3018