Advice on dealing with omnivore flatmate?

HannahC182

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Need advice on a flatmate situation. I live in student accommodation with 3 other people who are all omnivores. Generally this has been absolutely fine, I’ve become really good friends with all 3 of them and have loved living with them so much that we’ve re-booked for next year at the same accommodation. My only slight issue is with 1 girl in our flat, and I need advice on how to handle it.
She’s a really big meat-eater, but she’s actually very understanding of my lifestyle and makes an effort to make things in the shared kitchen easier for me, eg. getting rid of smells after she cooks meat, making sure my food doesn’t have to near her meat, even keeping her pots separate from mine near the sink. However she loves cooking and has very adventurous tastes, in the time we’ve lived here she’s kept bones, a cow heart, and pots of pig blood in the kitchen The other girls in our flat also think is kinda gross.
I don’t want to cause tension between us as I genuinely love her and want to live with them again next year, so how can I bring up asking her not to keep these things in the shared area without coming off as rude?

Your flat mate sounds like a bit of a wild one. Pots of pig's blood? Does she slaughter the animals she eats?

If I were you I'd just find another bunch to share accommodation. Besides being grossed out at having to see stuff like hearts, bones and possibly other body parts, there's always the risk that no matter how clean she might be and how far removed your use of the kitchen is to each other (will you ever want to prepare something at the same time?), there's a chance some dead animal remains/blood could find it's way into some of your dishes by accident.

Homes the best thing would be for you to move. 6 months ago I would've said just try to brave it out our get your own mini fridge. But I had three omnivore housemates, one cooked a lot, one only ate canned food, the other always brought home take out. It disgusted me.

I've grown up in a vegetarian household my whole life, was never cool with meat. In the two years I've been vegan, I realized I absolutely cannot stand raw meat. I refuse to be anywhere near it.

I don't know your situation, but my best advice would be to work towards finding a place with someone who is at least vegetarian.