10 things you should know before going veggie

As a side note, I always thought the gelatin issue made vegetarianism more complicated than just going vegan. With veganism, you know what is acceptable and what isn't. It would be hard to keep track of what cheeses and other dairy products have gelatin, and where your eggs came from and so on.

I have had some increased gases from time to time since changing diet, but nothing too major. I agree with a lot of your points. It's about drawing the line, I agree.

The part above I've quoted you seem to have had a difference experience to me. I found going vegetarian to be quite easy. It took about a day to do it once I really committed to, and a week to get it fully sorted. The quality of meals was a bit average in the first week.

Do vegetarians really keep track of which products have gelatin? I didn't realize you had to avoid gelatin as a vegetarian, I wouldn't have seen that as an issue. I would have thought most people identifying as vegetarians probably just eat any cheese, or eggs. Why would someone eat cheese but avoid gelatin, anyway? Is that what I touched on above - an aversion not to animal cruelty, suffering or death but to the actual consumption of a part of a dead body? More of an ick factor that a moral issue perhaps?

I'm finding going (mostly) vegan to take a certain amount more effort. For one thing once I'd decided to give up butter and cheese making a tasty sandwich became a bit tricky. For another thing I see vegetarian as just avoiding flesh, pretty easy, as a vegan you start questioning things like chocolate, cake etc.

Then there is that vegetarianism is just about diet only, it was quite the saga here in Chile for me to find a vegan toothpaste that I can buy here, and that is one item.

Then there is that vegetarianism is relatively more mainstream and accepted, and everyone knows what it is. Vegetarianism is also far easier than strict veganism at restaurants, friends' houses etc.

Also from a nutrition standpoint vegetarianism (with dairy) is easier.

Last edited:
May I suggest that you delve more deeply into the dairy industry? That is all I will say on the matter, until this is moved to the Compost Heap.

How about we come back to this now that the thread has been moved.

I have actually read about the diary industry in some books I read about animal agriculture in general. Close confinement, separation of mother and offspring, and being killed when no longer economically efficient and reports of cruelty are some things I can remember. Free free to reference any pertinent thread or articles and I'll have a look though.

My argument that eggs is worse than cheese, butter and milk is because I believe the intensity of the suffering is higher in the egg industry. There are a number of arguments due to the tightness of the confinement (little space), the quality of the air for the animals being bad, reports of claws being stuck to cages, lack of access to fresh air and natural spaces. It's possible that these issues are relatively less bad in the diary industry however in any case I see that as a secondary questions.

Because, even if the diary industry is just as cruel, I would still argue that eggs are worse than cheese for the simple fact of the amount of food you get per animal. Cows are huge and chickens are tiny, so you get more food from cows per unit animal suffering. Even if we value the life of a cow, or its ability to feel pain or whatever, at double or treble that of a chicken, that remains true. To prove this wrong you would have to value the life of 1 cow, its intelligence, the acuteness of its suffering, or however you look at it, as being at least 10 times worse than that of 1 chicken. And there doesn't seem any evidence that this is the case. Therefore it you want to reduce animal suffering, avoiding eggs does it more effectively than avoiding cheese.

That doesn't make the diary industry good, it only makes it less bad.

Just by cutting out all meat, fish and eggs you have already reduced your support for animal suffering/cruelty/death by let's say 95%. Now let's say you meet someone in that position and try to convince them to stop eating cheese as well. If you are successful, you have reduced the impact of their animal suffering by another say 1%. But, if you **** them off and they think, **** this, this is a lot of hassle and vegans are such an exclusive club of preachers, I am going back to eating what I like, then you have caused a big increase in animal suffering. Much more than what you could have achieved by convincing them not to eat cheese. So, if there is even 1 chance in 100 that insisting that someone doesn't eat cheese will cause them to just give up on vegetarianism and veganism entirely (or not become vegetarian or veganism in the first place), then it can be argued as not worth the risk.

Of course the only problem with this type of argument, as we've touched on in discussion before, is that it leads us into all sorts of other dark places. You could use the same logic to justify continuing with any number of illegal or immoral activity in moderation, or apply the same logic to past struggles against slavery/sexism etc. Therefore, the alternative argument of vegan absolution is just as compelling. Especially since a deeper understanding of animal rights is probably likely to lead to a more lasting long-term success on a vegan diet.

Anyway, I'm not arguing in favour of the dairy industry. From a combination of people I've met, discussions on this forum, and my own research, I have actually in the last couple of months given up milk chocolate and cake and other sweet-type products that look obviously like they might have diary in (unless I am in a safe vegan shop or restaurant). (Actually that is a slight lie, I'd say I've reduced them by 90% but hey I'm clearly not perfect.) So, thanks to all your help and these kinds of discussions are helping me progress and be relatively more vegan.

Also, even though I can't (so far at least) be bothered to read ingredient lists and figure out which have obscure trace animal products I am eating more whole plant foods and less processed foods, which I think will also in practice make by more vegan as well as being more healthy.

So, as I say, I am not arguing in favour of the diary industry. This is a question not about where to draw the line in your own ethics, but where to draw the line in trying to convince others.

When someone offers me meat, fish, or eggs I say that I never eat those products and, if it seems appropriate at the time, explain why. I feel what's going on is bad enough that the issue needs to be raised when we can.

However, for the time being at least, when someone offers me cheese or cake or chocolate, I'm preferring to just politely decline and say no thanks as if I just don't fancy it at that moment.

That's where I am for now, anyway.

Yes, very sweet. The second one made me very tense, while watching, even knowing it would be ok. And the words in the first one made me tear up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ledboots