Your personal best 'best before'?

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What is your personal best for consuming products beyond their "best before" date?

I think this is mine - it just had its 10-years anniversary!IMG_20231006_113912~2.jpgIMG_20231006_113930~2.jpg

The container was not opened until a month ago or so, so it had been sealed for about 10 years.

(I'm not advocating consumption of dangerously out-of-date foods, of course, but I think this cinnamon should be safe! It smells and tastes just fine, at least.)

Most people leave herbs and spices in their cupboards for years without batting an eyelid. However, as a former chef, I can tell you it will affect the taste of some recipes using old spices. They do in fact have a shelf life. Cinnamon is fairly resilient, but even it will fade in flavour over years. I think the fact that yours was never opened likely helped yours maintain a longer shelf life. Obviously, fresh ingredients are preferred in any recipe, but in this situation I would probably use it for the recipe you need. Although, I'd likely still replace the old bottle next time I visited the store.

I vacuum seal a lot of my spices. At least the ones I don't use frequently.

Most people leave herbs and spices in their cupboards for years without batting an eyelid. However, as a former chef, I can tell you it will affect the taste of some recipes using old spices. They do in fact have a shelf life.
Yes, I would think fresh spices generally have more flavour in them.
Cinnamon is fairly resilient, but even it will fade in flavour over years. I think the fact that yours was never opened likely helped yours maintain a longer shelf life.
Yes, I was surprised that it tasted so good after so long. I'm not exactly a cinnamon expert, but I thought it tasted fresher than the previous container, presumably because that one had been opened for longer.
I vacuum seal a lot of my spices. At least the ones I don't use frequently.
That sounds sensible. I think the containers and lids we have here in the UK (as seen in my photos) are effectively vacuum sealing? (Or do you mean to suck the air out as well?)

I've learned to not discard herbs or spices. If they don't get used I need to remember why instead of buying a new bottle and having that sit, or given away 🙄 .
One time that did bite me was mixing a spice blend with paprika. I don't mind paprika, but never use it--it was very very bad!

There are many blends I use where I'd never use the individual spices--like where cumin is involved. I have a Turkish blend from Penzeys I favor, with just the right amount of cumin.
I'm not that good with blending spices. Feel fortunate to have a local Penzeys

I think I've gone two or three years past the "best before" on some canned goods, mostly for beans.

Reactions: bEt
I buy my spices, now, at a small local bulk food store and that way I never have to worry that if I don't get around to using it all I don't feel bad about throwing them away - I have small 4 oz (125ml) mason jars and just keep refilling them.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Tom L. and bEt
I buy my spices, now, at a small local bulk food store and that way I never have to worry that if I don't get around to using it all I don't feel bad about throwing them away - I have small 4 oz (125ml) mason jars and just keep refilling them.

Emma JC
I miss bulk sections so much! Years ago our Whole Foods had zillions of things in bulk-really started dwindling down before covid. Only reason I ever went!

I miss bulk sections so much! Years ago our Whole Foods had zillions of things in bulk-really started dwindling down before covid. Only reason I ever went!

we are very lucky - there are 3 Bulk Barns within 15 minutes and the aforementioned smaller bulk store about 5 minutes away and they have coupons a couple of times a month $5 off a $15 order or this weekend it is $15 off a $40 order - I will go today and stock up - we also get our water there

Emma JC

As far as spices go, I've heard that they last longer if they're stored unground, and you grind them right before using. I don't know if they turn bad in ways that would be unhealthy or if they just lose flavor. I have a little ceramic bowl with a... pestle, I guess you'd call it?... to grind small amounts of spices, but I hardy ever use it. You'd have to clean it out rather well after each use to keep the flavors of spices mixing in weird (and possibly nauseating:yuck:🤮) ways.

I don't know about canned goods- I think there's fairy current info about this online. Most of my staples, such as dried grains or legumes, sunflower kernels, and dry-roasted unsalted peanuts last well for me (so long as Indian Meal Moths don't invade). I often store them in the refrigerator, and I eat them so regularly that they aren't around very long even if I buy them in bulk (up to 25 pounds).

Reactions: PTree15
As far as spices go, I've heard that they last longer if they're stored unground, and you grind them right before using. I don't know if they turn bad in ways that would be unhealthy or if they just lose flavor. I have a little ceramic bowl with a... pestle, I guess you'd call it?... to grind small amounts of spices, but I hardy ever use it. You'd have to clean it out rather well after each use to keep the flavors of spices mixing in weird (and possibly nauseating:yuck:🤮) ways.

I don't know about canned goods- I think there's fairy current info about this online. Most of my staples, such as dried grains or legumes, sunflower kernels, and dry-roasted unsalted peanuts last well for me (so long as Indian Meal Moths don't invade). I often store them in the refrigerator, and I eat them so regularly that they aren't around very long even if I buy them in bulk (up to 25 pounds).
Mortar and pestle. I always wanted one, so when I found it at a discount/buy out store for cheap I got one. I've only used for fennel seeds and curry spices like coriander

Only canned goods I have get used on a rotating basis--tomatoes, coconut milk, jackfruit and kidney beans (I don't like to cook those)
I have had Indian moths, didn't know the name till now. Very annoying. I found a box of spaghetti that had lodge behind a shelf, it had so much dust in it from them eating it!
I haven't had problems with grains or beans, and do store things that don't get used much in fridge, like vitamins D and algae DHA, tumeric, and flax seeds

Reactions: Emma JC
I remember a British news-time TV show (Nationwide) way back when (in the early 80s possibly) opening a can of beans from WW2 period... And if I remember rightly, they were fine.

I remember a British news-time TV show (Nationwide) way back when (in the early 80s possibly) opening a can of beans from WW2 period... And if I remember rightly, they were fine.
I think I read that in Donald Duck & co, except it was even older, from Scrooge's time as a gold digger in Alaska :)

Reactions: g0rph

I watch a Youtuber that opens and eats MRE (meals ready to eat) from various countries and various years, all the way back to the early 1900's. It is amazing how well preserved some things are and stay. These are specially packed, of course, and yet it is fascinating how even some foods that don't have a lot of chemicals in them stay decent.

He opened some from 1993, the other day, and the packaging etc looked like it was packed yesterday. The only item from 3 different packages that he wouldn't eat was a cheese sauce. It was definitely off.

Emma JC