Yet Another Reason to Avoid Using Facebook

...So facebook is used to catch a rapist, and that's a reason for you to avoid using facebook? I'm sorry, I don't follow. Do you not want to use facebook because rapists also use facebook, or does facebook somehow automatically become guilty, too, by virtue of having a confession occur via fb? Neither of those make sense because 1) bad people are everywhere, you probably shop for groceries at the same store a convicted criminal does. Does that mean you are going to stop shopping there? 2) a company does not itself become inherently bad by having bad people use their services.

This woman got justice through facebook. Surely that is a good thing. And I don't see how this case has any effect on your personal use of facebook.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Sorry Joe, but I completely second KFL's stance on the issue. Unless VV is some sorta veg*n rapist forum and I was never informed, in which case I should probably get my bags. :|

...So facebook is used to catch a rapist, and that's a reason for you to avoid using facebook? I'm sorry, I don't follow. Do you not want to use facebook because rapists also use facebook, or does facebook somehow automatically become guilty, too, by virtue of having a confession occur via fb? Neither of those make sense because 1) bad people are everywhere, you probably shop for groceries at the same store a convicted criminal does. Does that mean you are going to stop shopping there? 2) a company does not itself become inherently bad by having bad people use their services.

This woman got justice through facebook. Surely that is a good thing. And I don't see how this case has any effect on your personal use of facebook.

People post inappropriate information on Facebook all the time. They seem to do this while in an irrational trance, as if they are drunk or stoned or something. This was just one extreme example. Just say "No" to Facebook.

Yes, one rapist was caught due to blabbing on Facebook. However, I feel that blabbing on Facebook will cause more harm to its users than it will do good.

Sorry Joe, but I completely second KFL's stance on the issue. Unless VV is some sorta veg*n rapist forum and I was never informed, in which case I should probably get my bags. :|

The import of the title of this thread is that people should not use Facebook, not that they should go out and commit rape.

Also, you do realize that you are arguing that because a rapist was caught that means big brother is watching us? Sorry, I don't buy it.

ETA so I don't post a third time in this thread:

If you aren't comfortable with the level of sharing on facebook, then you don't have to use it. Feeling safe online is important, and if you find facebook too intrusive, that's your prerogative. No one should feel pressured into using social networks, or anything, they don't want to. Good for you for knowing your own boundaries. And I sincerely mean that.

But some of us are completely comfortable using social networking, and use it productively and and as a form of entertainment. Our level of comfort is not the same as your level of comfort, and that's ok. Trust us to also know our own boundaries.

Last edited:
It wasn't the best of titles, but no need to rub it in, ppl. As for the article, it appears to be yet another example of the horrible consequences of excess alcohol consumption.

TBH, I didn't read the article. At first glance of the thread I took it to be more of a "stupid criminal" type of thing...like the tv programs where they show how a burglar tries to rob a house and then does something ridiculous that ends up getting him caught, like trying to gain access by going down a chimney and getting stuck.
I didn't think it was about total anti-FB until Joe said, "Just say no to FB", lol.
I love FB. :)

My understanding that is Facebook is massivley over subscribed to by unspeakable morons and cretins.

The fierce competition on that front is the only reason to not join Facebook I need.

I signed up for FB 4 years ago, and maybe signed in half a dozen times since then. FB is only a tool. With a little effort, you can limit who sees your post, and with a small measure of self control, you can consider what you want to say before actually posting something you might regret later.

My understanding that is Facebook is massivley over subscribed to by unspeakable morons and cretins.

The fierce competition on that front is the only reason to not join Facebook I need.

They are obviously not all morons as lots of our members are on FB!
Why does this social network have such a large majority of members ? What makes it so appealing ?

You, me ...

99.999% of all human beings with an IQ larger than their shoe size ...

That might just mean you and me, mind.

I have never tested my IQ so it may be as small as my shoe size; 39 !

They are obviously not all morons as lots of our members are on FB!
Why does this social network have such a large majority of members ? What makes it so appealing ?

Well, personally, I use facebook for two main reasons: Easy contact with friends I don't live close to (which is a lot, since lots of my friends live in different cities/countries), and easy organisation with groups I'm involved with (lots of societies and university related groups I'm involved in use facebook as their main communication method, so if we want to arrange a meeting, share some work/files/papers, or share information about events, they use FB).

I think if you put moral problems to one side, lots of the social downsides of FB can be avoided by unfriending people you don't like, or who annoy you. :shrug:

I have never tested my IQ so it may be as small as my shoe size; 39 !
Be grateful you're using european sizes, mines 7. :cry: