Womens' issue - concerned and need support

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
So, short version: I was vegan for a few years and reached my optimum health, then changes in life made me fall back into my old, unhealthy ways. I went back to being vegan about a month ago, and started feeling better almost instantly.

But I've been on my period for almost 3 months straight now, and I'm worrying about my iron levels and my wellbeing in general. I have iron supplements, but often forget to take them (I need to get better at this). I think a lot of it is stress induced, and I just can't seem to relax. I'm a cancer survivor who also has PCOS, so my hormone levels are all out of line. When I was vegan the first time, it was the first and only time my hormones were balanced and the PCOS was actually gone for a while.

I don't know if I'm just not giving it enough time, but I'm really concerned that something is seriously wrong since I'm still menstruating after three months. This isn't the first time this has happened, but this time I feel like it shouldn't because I've been eating so much healthier than I have in a long time... am I just being impatient?

I've also been experiencing crazy headaches (though mostly they seem like tension headaches caused by stress, which just makes me stress more), esophageal spasms, and these random shooting pains in my legs. Because of my medical history, I tend to be prone to a bit of hypochondria and I know it, but that kind of just makes me stress out even more because I don't know if it's something I should actually be concerned with or if I'm just freaking myself out.

Unfortunately, I won't have medical insurance for another couple of months (waiting for open enrollment at work, since I didn't sign up in time when I started my job a little more than a year ago), so I can't see a doctor about any of this until January.

I feel like a lot of this would subside if I could just relax, but it feels like a vicious cycle--the harder I try to relax, the harder it is to relax. I feel lost and alone right now, and just wish I knew what to do.

I really don't think you should wait till January.

Go to the yellow pages and find your County Hospital. Call them. Tell them what is going on.
Here in California, there is a good chance they will allow you to see a doctor and not charge you that much. Until Obamacare kicked in, I had a pretty cheap insurance plan that was provided by the county hospital. (with no enrollment periods) I bet it still exists.

And don't forget, open enrollment starts in less than 2 weeks.

Reactions: Kristyna
It's generally not normal to bleed for three months straight. It doesn't have to do with veganism. You should see a doctor sooner. Something could be seriously wrong.

Reactions: Kristyna and Lou
It's generally not normal to bleed for three months straight. It doesn't have to do with veganism. You should see a doctor sooner. Something could be seriously wrong.

I think it might have to do with non-veganism; the hormones in animal products make my body go haywire. I had a rare cancer as a kid that messed up my hormones and reproductive system, and poor diet makes it worse... when I was vegan before, everything balanced out perfectly, though I don't remember how long that took. I just went back to being vegan about a month ago.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was a teenager, which further discombobulated my system. (The PCOS also went away when I was vegan before.) I've had periods lasting almost this long before, but it's been a while. I know it might also have to do with stress, and there's a lot of stress in my life at the moment... but you're very right (both of you who replied), I should try to see a doctor as soon as possible.

Thank you for the support.

Are you anywhere near menopause age? I have heard things like this happening to women when they are just starting menopause, like they have abnormally heavy periods or their period just doesn't seem to stop.

If you are not near menopause, or even if you are, I think you should get to a doctor as soon as possible.

Reactions: Lou
I've worked with PCOS patients and have found they stop having their periods way before menopausal age due to those pesky androgens or even insulin levels.

Those with PCOS that are very athletic, hardly ever had their periods in their later years.

They usually learn not be alarmed if they have irregular periods, or about 6-8 periods less per year than the average woman.

I, too, would like to know if you're menopausal or even "peri-" menopausal. I think being "peri"-menopausal is even worse than menopause. "Peri's" have irregular periods. I know when i reached my late 40's, i would have sometimes 2 periods in one month, and the next month, nothing, then finally i would be regular again, and boom! Nothing.

I know this is a public forum, so, i'm curious about your age? Thus, i will not ask this openly due to privacy reasons.

Are you anywhere near menopause age? I have heard things like this happening to women when they are just starting menopause, like they have abnormally heavy periods or their period just doesn't seem to stop.

If you are not near menopause, or even if you are, I think you should get to a doctor as soon as possible.

It's hard to say. I'm 32, started going through premature menopause when I was 17 but my gynocologist put me on HBC to stop and reverse it (which it did). The gyno told me that since the cancer I had affected my reproductive system so much, I'd probably go through menopause about 10 years earlier than my mom or grandma. However, my mom had a complete hysterectomy when she was in her late 30s, and my grandma had a ton of complications with her reproductive system (likely due to excessive smoking, we've been told, but don't know for sure), so I have no idea when either of them would've gone through menopause.

It finally stopped about another week after I posted this. I really think it was just stress. I started making self-care a priority again, and I feel a lot better.

It's hard to say. I'm 32, started going through premature menopause when I was 17 but my gynocologist put me on HBC to stop and reverse it (which it did). The gyno told me that since the cancer I had affected my reproductive system so much, I'd probably go through menopause about 10 years earlier than my mom or grandma. However, my mom had a complete hysterectomy when she was in her late 30s, and my grandma had a ton of complications with her reproductive system (likely due to excessive smoking, we've been told, but don't know for sure), so I have no idea when either of them would've gone through menopause.

It finally stopped about another week after I posted this. I really think it was just stress. I started making self-care a priority again, and I feel a lot better.

Wow I'm sorry to hear you've had so many struggles at a young age that must have been rough, but I'm glad you're feeling better and make self-care a priority.