Woman Rescues Pooch - Alligator Attack

I'm glad there was a happy ending for Hope, but I don't know why they had to kill the alligator. Couldn't they have relocated the animal somewhere where it would be less of a threat?

I'm glad there was a happy ending for Hope, but I don't know why they had to kill the alligator. Couldn't they have relocated the animal somewhere where it would be less of a threat?

The (dead) alligator was reportedly sold to a restaurant.

The theory is that a big gator who eats a dog or cat will continue to eat them, so he is killed. :( They come to associate humans with food then, since humans are often accompanying the pet, there is the fear of a child being attacked. This is unlikely.

The truth is, since the gator population has rebounded so nicely, authorities are allowing more and more to be killed. There is a lot of money involved, as all the parts of the alligator can be sold, not just the food part.

Brave, resourceful woman!

The most daring thing I ever had to do for one of my animals was when my rabbit Sony and I were out in my yard near dusk, a skunk came wandering in under the fence between my yard and my neighbor's, and I scooted into weapons range to pick up my rabbit, whom I thought was dangerously close to the skunk. Sony was quite fearless much of the time and I was worried she would go sniffing up to the skunk. But the skunk just decided to do a 180 and immediately left the way s/he came in.

The skunks in my area haven't been difficult to live with. We just stay out of each others' way.

Reactions: Mischief
Such a shame about their horrendous odor...they really are incredibly cute animals! We get them here, often enough, but not enough to be a nuisance.

I can't really describe skunk odor. The funny thing is, I don't think it smells bad at all from a distance. But once, when my sister and her husky mix was living with me, a skunk gave her dog a warning shot on his muzzle. It wasn't a full blast, but even that little bit smelled REALLY foul. Fortunately, the skunk wasn't harmed either.

You seldom see skunks as a rule because they're nocturnal. The one I mentioned above who startled me when I was out with my rabbit was the only one I ever saw in the light- and it was close to dusk. And when they ARE out during daylight it's even more scary- because that's abnormal behavior, which can mean the skunk is infected with rabies.

Reactions: ledboots
I couldn't think of how to describe it, either, which is why I turned to the Internet. :) If I had to I would have said rotten eggs/sulfur. I don't really get the burnt rubber smell at all.

To me, they don't smell like either sulfur/rotten eggs or burned rubber. I actually don't find the smell particularly noxious, and I once had a beagle who had repeated run ins with a skunk.