OSes Windows 10: Free upgrade for Win 7 & 8 users

Nothing from microsoft is ever really free.

Pretty much... They're buttering folks up for a subscription service for Windows. Instead of paying $100 for a new version of Windows every 5 - 10 years, people will be paying somewhere in the ballpark of $30 - $40 a year for major updates and features... Not hard to figure out which business model is more profitable for Microsoft.

Reactions: ledboots
Pretty much... They're buttering folks up for a subscription service for Windows. Instead of paying $100 for a new version of Windows every 5 - 10 years, people will be paying somewhere in the ballpark of $30 - $40 a year for major updates and features... Not hard to figure out which business model is more profitable for Microsoft.

I hope they go the in-app purchase route. That way, you don't have to pay if you don't want to.

Office comes in two varieties currently - either buy outright or pay $10/month - so I'm hopeful that they'll offer a choice.

Personally, I hate subscriptions.

Last edited:
I hope they go the in-app purchase route. That way, you don't have to pay if you don't want to.

Office comes in two varieties currently - either buy outright or ay $10/month - so I'm hopeful that they'll offer a choice.

Personally, I hate subscriptions.

It will definitely be interesting to see what they actually end up doing. It's being heavily hinted at, at this point. They have said that this will technically be "the last retail version of Windows".

Reactions: ledboots
The automatic updates just made Windows 10 no longer an option for me. I don't need a bunch of useless junk being continually added to my computer.

The automatic updates just made Windows 10 no longer an option for me. I don't need a bunch of useless junk being continually added to my computer.

Auto updates doesn't add software and features. It updates the operating system and software you already have and is often important to keep up with. Security, and bug fixes. If you do online banking, etc especially you're thinking about this the wrong way.

Windows Hello (whatever that is) is using facial recognition, presumably for authentication. That sounds pretty cool. And the hardware requirements were surprisingly modest, which is also nice. The automatic updates that you can't choose not to install sound less nice.

Auto updates doesn't add software and features. It updates the operating system and software you already have and is often important to keep up with. Security, and bug fixes. If you do online banking, etc especially you're thinking about this the wrong way.
I stop installing updates the day it locked up my computer in an endless loop (it took days to fix it), and I'm not the only person this happened to. So if I can't make the decision on what should and shouldn't be installed, I'd rather not take the chance on it screwing something up.

One thing I don't understand - I haven't received the invitation to "reserve" a copy of Win 10. (My system meets the minimum requirements)

Maybe they're doing Win 7 users last?

I got the invite some time ago and I am on Windows 7 so I don't know......

No, there's a bug that effects some people, there's a registry hack to fix it... Google "reserve windows 10 fix", there's a shell script that you run and it will come up after that

No, there's a bug that effects some people, there's a registry hack to fix it... Google "reserve windows 10 fix", there's a shell script that you run and it will come up after that

I followed these instructions to the letter, but I still don't have the invite icon. Can I get it without the invite? For example, will there be a separate download site where it will be available after 7/29?

I followed these instructions to the letter, but I still don't have the invite icon. Can I get it without the invite? For example, will there be a separate download site where it will be available after 7/29?

Hmm strange, I was pretty vague on my suggestion... Which guide did you use?

Thanks Chryssie! I checked to make sure my PC met all of the requirements, and followed their instructions, but still no icon.

There is a caveat in the instructions: "PCs that Microsoft determines cannot run Windows 10 will not see the "Get Windows 10" app before July 29th. After July 29th, the icon will be enabled in the system tray. This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PC's compatibility if you choose."

I guess MS thinks my PC can't handle Win 10..but I exceed all the minimums, so, I'll just wait until the 29th.