OSes Windows 10: Free upgrade for Win 7 & 8 users

The top 5 problems with Linux

Ok I really think you should run Malwarebytes. If that doesn't help, then I'll shut up.

So I had run Malwarebytes a while ago and have had the Microsoft Security Essentials running the entire time, as well. I'm starting to think that this is just an end-of-life, wear and tear issue with my laptop. I'm pretty sure the hard disk can be salvaged; that's all I care about a this point.

There will be a Chromebook purchase in my future. :) I will miss playing Faerie Solitaire on Steam, however.

So I had run Malwarebytes a while ago and have had the Microsoft Security Essentials running the entire time, as well. I'm starting to think that this is just an end-of-life, wear and tear issue with my laptop. I'm pretty sure the hard disk can be salvaged; that's all I care about a this point.

There will be a Chromebook purchase in my future. :) I will miss playing Faerie Solitaire on Steam, however.

Well it looks like you have your heart set on a Chromebook.

But just two things. MWB should be run on a regular basis. Doing it once will not catch any Malware picked up after the last time it was run. Also MS security essentials is not the best AV program out there, which may have been part of the problem.

I just installed the latest development version of Windows 10 again. I'll say this... Anyone anti-change wanting it to be like Windows 7 (or 8/8.1 for that matter) are going to be extremely unhappy lol. Huge changes since I last had it, also quite different from PR screenshots that have been floating around.

I just installed the latest development version of Windows 10 again. I'll say this... Anyone anti-change wanting it to be like Windows 7 (or 8/8.1 for that matter) are going to be extremely unhappy lol. Huge changes since I last had it, also quite different from PR screenshots that have been floating around.

As long as there is something resembling a start menu, and I don't have to read a manual to figure out how to do basic stuff like opening, minimizing and closing a file, I'll be fine

Can you share any screenshots of the build on your computer?

Here's a few screenshots... First one is what you see when you click the Start button, second is what you get when you click "All Apps" basically everything installed cataloged in alphabetical order. The third is task view, a look at how virtual desktops work, and of course window management, you can actually drag and drop program between virtual desktops from there.

Attachments

• win10screen1.png
    win10screen1.png
    215 KB · Views: 230
  • win10screen2.png
    win10screen2.png
    207 KB · Views: 242
  • win10screen3.png
    win10screen3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 138
Oh... And this hot mess is the successor to Internet Explorer. Microsoft Edge, or as it's also being called "Project Spartan".

Attachments

• edge.PNG
    edge.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
Actually, any program can be pinned to the Start menu for fast access, not just silly live tiles.

win10screen5.png

Yuck. I really dislike the tiles. I never considered getting a Mac before Windows 8 came out, but now that's what I'm leaning toward for my next laptop. Since I have to learn a new system anyway...

I'll say this... Anyone anti-change wanting it to be like Windows 7 (or 8/8.1 for that matter) are going to be extremely unhappy lol. Huge changes since I last had it, also quite different from PR screenshots that have been floating around.

Yuck. I really dislike the tiles. I never considered getting a Mac before Windows 8 came out, but now that's what I'm leaning toward for my next laptop. Since I have to learn a new system anyway...

Back in the 90's, I had a lot of time and enthusiasm for learning the ins and outs of Windows. But now, I just want the darn OS to work, and I don't want to have to spend time figuring out simple stuff like how to close a program. (When my wife got Win 8 about 1.5 years ago, she accidentally opened a live tile program, and neither of us could figure out how to close it...until I went online and found instruction)

And quite frankly, an OS should be fairly intuitive. In MS's rush to turn Windows into a phone app, they really screwed things up.

What they should do is offer two versions. One for people who want a phone app, and one for people who want a traditional desktop. And it shouldn't be hard, as the desktop is just a GUI interface anyway. That is, to offer the two versions, they wouldn't have to change anything "under the hood".

I'm going to wait for the reviews to come out, and hold onto Win 7. I have a feeling Win 10 will get slightly better reviews than Win 8...which isn't saying much.

Back in the 90's, I had a lot of time and enthusiasm for learning the ins and outs of Windows. But now, I just want the darn OS to work, and I don't want to have to spend time figuring out simple stuff like how to close a program. (When my wife got Win 8 about 1.5 years ago, she accidentally opened a live tile program, and neither of us could figure out how to close it...until I went online and found instruction)

And quite frankly, an OS should be fairly intuitive. In MS's rush to turn Windows into a phone app, they really screwed things up.

What they should do is offer two versions. One for people who want a phone app, and one for people who want a traditional desktop. And it shouldn't be hard, as the desktop is just a GUI interface anyway. That is, to offer the two versions, they wouldn't have to change anything "under the hood".

I'm going to wait for the reviews to come out, and hold onto Win 7. I have a feeling Win 10 will get slightly better reviews than Win 8...which isn't saying much.

Well, I can say this.. You won't have that problem anymore. Metro is DEAD, what were once tablet'esque apps now come up in regular windows on the desktop. So Microsoft did learn their lesson on that one, they know they alienated traditional PC users with Metro. There will be several editions of Windows this round, Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Mobile, Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise, etc. Microsoft definitely learned from the Windows 8 release that one size certainly does NOT fit all.

I have to say, even with all that said; I didn't have a problem adapting to Windows 8 and 8.1 personally. Updating Windows 8 to 8.1 makes it a bit easier, then you spend 99.999% of your time on the legacy desktop and almost forget all about the Start screen, never... or rarely to lay eyes on a tile or Metro app.