Why is vegan back to front for me....

DeePee

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
FED UP... just to start with....
I am an overnight Vegan and have been only since November 2019.
Before my transition i was a bit chubbier than i would have liked but other than that all was well.
My skin and hair and everything was fine. i had a pretty balanced diet. ( apart from the takeaway weekends )

Since adapting to my new diet here is a list of the following things that have changed....
> Cystic acne around my chin,checks and jaw. ( never had acne )
> Dry Hair
> Pale
> Lost weight ( a good thing )
> my periods were so light and barley lasted 3 days for the first two months, the third month was more normal again.

But more than anything my mood has just changed i feel rubbish to be honest unhappy.
food made me so happy before, but now its a chore to try and eat.

I have tried so many blogs and posts you tube videos and way to try and make it more interesting.
I cant stand tofu, i have tried so many different ways to include chickpeas into my diet and other legumes.
really struggling, im pretty wholefood based not processed vegan foods. i struggle to get food down me at the moment its like ive lost my appetite completely. i take b12/ multivit and other supplements, i add nutritional yeast to my foods, i also have so many seeds i incorporate. but yet i still feel like im missing so much.

Anyone have anything similar to this, i feel a bit lost as i dont want to go back to meat, but at the same time cant go on feeling so miserable about it and feel like this.
i know its pretty obvious im not getting enough food in me, but there must be ways to still really enjoy vegan food.
belive me when i say i have really tried to make so much and so many times.

Please help. thanks :)

Last edited:
What sort of food/dishes did you enjoy in your pre-vegan life? Anything you miss in particular?

Do you mostly cook your own meals, or do you buy pre-made?

Making vegetables taste delicious has a lot to do with spices. So what spices do you like?

What are your favourite vegetables?

What are your main protein sources?

Speaking of chickpeas, they're not my favourite either. Have you tried hummus, though? Yes, it has a good bit of fat, but there are fat-reduced versions.

Have you tried seitan?

Do you like lentils? Have you tried lentil soup? Or baked bell peppers or courgettes filled with lentils.

There are lot and lots of different beans. Black beans, white beans, black-eyed beans, lima beans.

Do you like Mexican-style food? Mediterranean? Middle eastern? Indian? Thai? There's a lot of delicious vegan dishes within those cuisines.

What are you now eating you did not eat before? Some of the things you are experiencing could be from a new addition to your diet, not something you've eliminated. Another possibility is that it you could be ill, and it's a coincidence, getting a check up may not be a bad idea.

Please share what sorts of food you like, the more info, the more people can make suggestions how to make it more palatable. Also, what are you eating? Are you following some sort of regimen , more than just trying to eat whole foods?

If you don't like something you don't have to eat it, it's pretty simple actually. Depending on why you want to be vegan and if you have additional goals then please share that also. Lots of people here, many can give you helpful advice.

It possibly could be helpful to discuss what information you're using as references.

Keep in touch , a lot of folks here are willing to help.

These sound pretty serious to me, so I'd first encourage you to get in and see your doctor. Get your bloodwork done - ask them to check for anemia, check your thyroid, check your vitamin levels, iron, hormones, etc.

Your acne sounds hormonal - I have the same issue. I did find backing off the volume of B12 that I take helped that some. There's been studies that show excess levels of B12 can cause acne. That said, don't stop B12 - it causes serious health issues if you become deficient. Work out with your doctor what's a reasonable dose based on your blood tests.

I find getting a good look at what's going on internally with blood tests helps me make better, more-informed decisions on what I need to adjust in my diet, lifestyle, etc.

I'd also ask your doctor to refer you to a good vegan dietician who can help you work out what's best for you.

There's this absurd assumption that goes around that just because I can do it that means anyone can do it. IE: just because I can thrive on certain foods then everyone should be able to. This is called basing things on anecdotal evidence. So - just because I can get by on the foods I eat, doesn't mean it's the same for you.

Let us know how your doctor's visit goes. Wishing you better health.

Hi DeePee,

Oh dear! There's probably an easier way to make this transition.

Please consider making an appointment with a local Registered Dietitian (RD) who specializes in vegetarian/vegan diets. In the London area, it looks like there are at least 15 Registered Dietitians that can help you with planning a delicious, satisfying, and healthy vegan diet.

In the UK, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the website of the British Dietetic Association: https://freelancedietitians.org/. You just type in your city, and your nutritional need / interest, and it gives you a list of qualified RDs.

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your help its made me really happy.
im not sure if im replying correctly ive never joined a forum before....

so monday to friday i eat the following...

8tbs Rolled Oats / Oat Milk and yougart ( overnight oats ) with tablespoons of hemp / chia and flax seeds.
Some berries and a banana, and a hot lemon drink.

Before this i take my supplements ( B12/ Vit C / Multi Vit and tumeric )

I then have a salad for lunch usually tomatoes, olives, spinach, cucumbers different leaves i try and switch it up sometime i might have left over dinner.

I dont really snack on anything other than the odd orange or packet of crisps

Then for dinner i will try to make a vegan Shepard pie, or some kind of hearty meal were i can hide stuff i dont like.

Its like i just struggle to get it down my throat i never feel full or fully satisfied.

Before i went vegan i used to eat Italian foods or salads with chicken or fish, i guess i was very much meat and carbs but i loved my veg and fruit so it felt balanced.
the only thing i didn't really like was curry ( i know crazy right ).

Now with the dr's i went and had my bloods done, as this was going on almost instantly and everyone said its your body getting rid of toxins and what not.
i called my dr and asked about my result and the only response i got was all ok no need to see the gp, so no one has actually gone through them with me.
then i went back again and asked to see a dietitian and possibly a dermatologist, but they dont feel there is a problem and to wait it out.
this really frustrates me and brings me to were i am no as i feel like i can tturn to anyone.
i dont want to wait until there is a problem i want to try and make sure im doing everything right.

Ive been on The BDA and contacted a few dietitians only 2 got back to me saying the didn't feel they would be able to help me ( anyone else stressed out yet )

So i am now today i have deiced to pay to see a dr and hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

im really sorry if this is a bit mesy im trying to trype this on the sly at work haha. once im home i wont have this awful keyboard.

Thank you everyone this is already helping my mental health.

I hope ive answered most of your questions, sorry if ive missed anything :)

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
What sort of food/dishes did you enjoy in your pre-vegan life? Anything you miss in particular?

I loved Italian foods, pizzas and pasta and meat, veg and potatoes. And I loved eggs.

Do you mostly cook your own meals, or do you buy pre-made?
I cook all my own meals and my partners, trying to ensure you constantly have food around to snack is a hard task. My partner eats a lot more than me so I’m still learning to prep everything way in advance.

Making vegetables taste delicious has a lot to do with spices. So what spices do you like?
I like your basics, basil, thyme, oregano, mixed herbs.... I just don’t really like cumin.

What are your favourite vegetables? I like all my veggies really, but usually with something to complement them. I guess spinach and broccoli and peas I really like.

What are your main protein sources? I don’t really have one at the moment, tofu I have tried so many different ways and I just cannot enjoy it. The same with chickpeas and beans unless there mushed up and hidden. I have hemp protein and I’m going to try tempah bacon this weekend see if I can get on with that as my seitan isn’t to tasteful. Do I have any other options for protein....

Speaking of chickpeas, they're not my favourite either. Have you tried hummus, though? Yes, it has a good bit of fat, but there are fat-reduced versions.
Yes I have made hummus and I do like that with some roasted peppers.

Have you tried seitan? Yes, I love it when I’m eating out but at home it’s just not the same. Any suggestions I have so much wheat gluten ready to use lol.

Do you like lentils? Have you tried lentil soup? Or baked bell peppers or courgettes filled with lentils.
yes I buy the canned ones and try to add them to soups or hearty meals we’re I would usually have meat.

There are lot and lots of different beans. Black beans, white beans, black-eyed beans, lima beans. I will try Lima as I have not yet. Thank you

Do you like Mexican-style food? Mediterranean? Middle eastern? Indian? Thai? There's a lot of delicious vegan dishes within those cuisines.
omg yes love Mediterranean food why didn’t I say that at the beginning, and yes I’m really into miso soup with noodles kind of vibe any suggestions for this.
Thank you :)

What are you now eating you did not eat before? Some of the things you are experiencing could be from a new addition to your diet, not something you've eliminated. Another possibility is that it you could be ill, and it's a coincidence, getting a check up may not be a bad idea.

Please share what sorts of food you like, the more info, the more people can make suggestions how to make it more palatable. Also, what are you eating? Are you following some sort of regimen , more than just trying to eat whole foods?

If you don't like something you don't have to eat it, it's pretty simple actually. Depending on why you want to be vegan and if you have additional goals then please share that also. Lots of people here, many can give you helpful advice.

It possibly could be helpful to discuss what information you're using as references.

Keep in touch , a lot of folks here are willing to help.

hi thanks for the reply, I think im slowly getting used to navigating this forum

good question really....I guess just a lot more veggies. I’m much more conscious of what I eat now and I’ve turn into robot mode all I worry about now is making sure I’m getting enough of everything rather than eating what I enjoy.

my partner says the same, but if I just eat what I enjoy I feel like I won’t be getting the nutrients I need daily. As I’ve done this over night and basically used the internet as my tutor at first it seems a bit scary becoming vegan because you think your going to miss all the nutrients.

don’t get me wrong I am feeling benefits aswell I have more energy and I feel lighter and less bloated, but I just don’t feel this fantastic feeling everyone else is.... mypartner eats the same as me andhe is thriving but he has quite a bland pallet ( he’s words ). I have such a connection with food so I need more flavour and depth.

I really like Mediterranean and Italian food I loved my cheese before and since going vegan I’ve gone off it I’ve tried to make cheese sauces and sometimes I have the violife cheese. But not how I used to.

thank you so much :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
. . . but if I just eat what I enjoy I feel like I won’t be getting the nutrients I need daily. As I’ve done this over night and basically used the internet as my tutor at first it seems a bit scary becoming vegan because you think your going to miss all the nutrients.

Hi DeePee,

If you are taking a multivitamin, it's very unlikely that you're going to miss any nutrients, at least in the short term.

If you were to eat the (vegan) foods that you enjoy (without worrying about nutrients), what would you eat? Could you let us know, specifically? Your preferred vegan foods might be entirely adequate.

If you like pasta, it's perfectly fine to eat it every day. Of course, whole grain (whole meal) pasta is nutritionally much better than white pasta.

Your lunchtime salad sounds nutritious, but very low in calories! It's hard to maintain one's daytime energy on such a low calorie lunch. Can you eat it with some pasta, or a peanut butter sandwich?

Even if you don't like legumes, there are easy ways to eat them (promise!). You can mash tofu into very tiny pieces (looks kind of like ricotta cheese) and mix it into your pasta sauce. Or, you can add finely-mashed tofu into oatmeal. Maybe try adding a little tofu at first, then more later.

Also, some legumes are so tiny and inconspicuous that you can add them to grains and sauces - they hardly taste like anything. For example, orange lentils are tiny, thin, and can be cooked to a very soft texture - just add some to soup or sauces, and you're winning. Orange lentils are sold at Indian food shops, and at some supermarkets.

Below: Orange lentils

1582229404092.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DeePee and Emma JC
I find with the health care industry I often have to be my own advocate. Depending on the doctors you're working with, you risk getting treated as a number that needs to be checked off the list and moved out of their in-box as quickly as possible. This means doctors just not listening, or rushing you through.

They say "you're fine" but you know you're not because you're the one living in your body and seeing and experiencing these changes first-hand. I'd insist on seeing another doctor who will listen and at the very least give you suggestions even if the blood work is coming out "normal". (Did you have them check the ones I suggested?)

In the meantime, in regards to food - I'm a huge foodie, myself - start trying new recipes from well-rated vegan blogs.

A few of my favorites are:

Oh She Glows
Pick Up Limes
Minimalist Baker (warning, she recently converted to omni, so if recipes that contain animal products are a trigger for you or if you feel conflicted supporting her by using her site, then don't go there. But she has a HUGE inventory of delicious vegan recipes, and she continues to develop vegan recipes, as well, despite her omni-status.)
Cookie and Kate (I think she's vegetarian, not vegan)

I'm rarely bored with all the foods and they're all equally healthy and satisfying - both are prerequisites for me as to whether or not I'm going to eat something. Bland is no bueno.

Reactions: David3 and Emma JC
hi thanks for the reply, I think im slowly getting used to navigating this forum

good question really....I guess just a lot more veggies. I’m much more conscious of what I eat now and I’ve turn into robot mode all I worry about now is making sure I’m getting enough of everything rather than eating what I enjoy.

my partner says the same, but if I just eat what I enjoy I feel like I won’t be getting the nutrients I need daily. As I’ve done this over night and basically used the internet as my tutor at first it seems a bit scary becoming vegan because you think your going to miss all the nutrients.

This is where I think you are making this a challenge for yourself....

I know of a guy from Australian "Spud Fit" (Andrew Taylor) who ate potatoes only for an entire year and he did not suffer any deficiencies and was in far far better health at the end of the year then he was leading up to it. He was better mentally and physically, he lost weight and took control back of his life. As long as you are not eating only junk food then I think you should give yourself a break and eat the things that you love.

I tend to a Starchivore type of diet as that is what I love and what I feel is most healthy for me. Starches include potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, pastas, corn, greens, all veggies and fruits and beans and lentils with some nuts and seeds and limited salt, sugar and oils. I like my food cooked and so although I do eat greens a lot I often throw them in my soup or pasta etc so I don't eat a lot of salad.

If what you eat, no matter what it is, is mainly WFPB then you are getting your nutrients... think about cows... they eat grass and hay and look at the size of them.

So I encourage you to eat what you love and eat lots of it and enjoy it and maybe take your supplements once a week as you could be overdoing it with them and that isn't healthy either. Give it a couple of weeks and see how you feel then. Changing lifestyles is challenging enough without trying to do it and not enjoying your food. Find a fuel that works and keep using it for your energy.

Good luck, Emma JC

Reactions: David3
omg yes love Mediterranean food why didn’t I say that at the beginning, and yes I’m really into miso soup with noodles kind of vibe any suggestions for this.
Thank you :)

A miso soup with noodles is an amazing base for all sorts of goodness.... vary it up at different meals with different veggies including bok choy or kale or other greens with carrots, onions, broc .... you name it, put it in. Add small amount of seaweed like wakame or similar, each time, and some mushrooms of different types and some hot sauce if you like hot sauce. You can also add some of the lentils that David suggested and you'll hardly notice they are. So yummy and versatile! hmmm maybe have to make that for dinner, thanks for the idea.

Emma JC

@kelli, I wasn't aware of the Minimalist Baker is now an omni. Did she give a reason ?

She cited health concerns, but will not go into details. Frankly, I don't blame her. The entitlement of the internet community is just astounding at times. To be clear, however, she was never a vegan blog. If you look back at her really early recipes, she had a lot of omni ones at that time, too.

She cited health concerns, but will not go into details. Frankly, I don't blame her. The entitlement of the internet community is just astounding at times. To be clear, however, she was never a vegan blog. If you look back at her really early recipes, she had a lot of omni ones at that time, too.

That sounds like something serious. I like some of her recipes and even have her book.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Another idea: Have you visited any vegan restaurants? Since you live in London, there should be quite a few to choose from. That might give you some ideas for dishes you can later try to make at home.

8tbs Rolled Oats / Oat Milk and yougart ( overnight oats ) with tablespoons of hemp / chia and flax seeds.
Some berries and a banana, and a hot lemon drink.
So do you like your overnight oats? I think oats are so much better and fulfilling when warmed up, i.e. oatmeal. Maybe with cinnamon and raisins ... Chia seeds sound good, I haven't had that in a while.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC
Hi DeePee,

If you are taking a multivitamin, it's very unlikely that you're going to miss any nutrients, at least in the short term.

If you were to eat the (vegan) foods that you enjoy (without worrying about nutrients), what would you eat? Could you let us know, specifically? Your preferred vegan foods might be entirely adequate.

If you like pasta, it's perfectly fine to eat it every day. Of course, whole grain (whole meal) pasta is nutritionally much better than white pasta.

Your lunchtime salad sounds nutritious, but very low in calories! It's hard to maintain one's daytime energy on such a low calorie lunch. Can you eat it with some pasta, or a peanut butter sandwich?

Even if you don't like legumes, there are easy ways to eat them (promise!). You can mash tofu into very tiny pieces (looks kind of like ricotta cheese) and mix it into your pasta sauce. Or, you can add finely-mashed tofu into oatmeal. Maybe try adding a little tofu at first, then more later.

Also, some legumes are so tiny and inconspicuous that you can add them to grains and sauces - they hardly taste like anything. For example, orange lentils are tiny, thin, and can be cooked to a very soft texture - just add some to soup or sauces, and you're winning. Orange lentils are sold at Indian food shops, and at some supermarkets.

Below: Orange lentils

View attachment 19817

Hey, thank you for the reply.

I haven't really found my staple go to food yet, or a comfort food ( vegan style ).
If i fancy something naughty i will make some mushroom and lentil burgers, with vegan mayo and gerkins. and some chunky cut potatoes/chips with some oil and herbs.
Pasta with a pesto sauce ( shop bought vegan one ) or one from scratch.
i love peanut putter and jam on toast with banana and flax seeds & chia.
i love olives and cheeses with breads and crisps.
( before i went vegan i LOVED bacon, and im really craving that salty crispy taste, so im going to try tempah with liquid smoke and soy this weekend. do you have any ideas for a bacon substitute....

i will invest in some better pasta as currently im just using white pasta.

Thanks for the advice, i could add some pasta or bread with my lunch i guess i was worried to much carbs was bad.
also this might sound silly but whenever i cook pasta and try to eat it the next day its tastes really dry.
ive tried adding some olive oil but just seems really starchy. do you have any suggestions for that....

Thats a good idea with the tofu, i haven't tried that yet, and those lentils look perfect for me.
ill bee heading out to get some this weekend.
ahh this has really helped thank you so much. :)

I find with the health care industry I often have to be my own advocate. Depending on the doctors you're working with, you risk getting treated as a number that needs to be checked off the list and moved out of their in-box as quickly as possible. This means doctors just not listening, or rushing you through.

They say "you're fine" but you know you're not because you're the one living in your body and seeing and experiencing these changes first-hand. I'd insist on seeing another doctor who will listen and at the very least give you suggestions even if the blood work is coming out "normal". (Did you have them check the ones I suggested?)

In the meantime, in regards to food - I'm a huge foodie, myself - start trying new recipes from well-rated vegan blogs.

A few of my favorites are:

Oh She Glows
Pick Up Limes
Minimalist Baker (warning, she recently converted to omni, so if recipes that contain animal products are a trigger for you or if you feel conflicted supporting her by using her site, then don't go there. But she has a HUGE inventory of delicious vegan recipes, and she continues to develop vegan recipes, as well, despite her omni-status.)
Cookie and Kate (I think she's vegetarian, not vegan)

I'm rarely bored with all the foods and they're all equally healthy and satisfying - both are prerequisites for me as to whether or not I'm going to eat something. Bland is no bueno.

Tell me about it, ive read so many books to learn about my body, i think you need to aware of yourself, as ive learnt you cannot rely on others to know your body better than you.
I am booking in with a private dr just to have a proper chat and not a clock watched conversation.
and fingers crossed go through my blood tests, as i still have the results just no idea what they mean :/
Once i have been i will let you know how it went....

Thank you for the recommendations i will check some out, i do like pick up limes i think shes great.
i watch advant garde and other vegan chefs to try and give me some inspiration.
i made a filo pastry pizza the other day and it was so good. im totally with you on that no bland food here please. :)

Thank you for getting back to me.

This is where I think you are making this a challenge for yourself....

I know of a guy from Australian "Spud Fit" (Andrew Taylor) who ate potatoes only for an entire year and he did not suffer any deficiencies and was in far far better health at the end of the year then he was leading up to it. He was better mentally and physically, he lost weight and took control back of his life. As long as you are not eating only junk food then I think you should give yourself a break and eat the things that you love.

I tend to a Starchivore type of diet as that is what I love and what I feel is most healthy for me. Starches include potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, pastas, corn, greens, all veggies and fruits and beans and lentils with some nuts and seeds and limited salt, sugar and oils. I like my food cooked and so although I do eat greens a lot I often throw them in my soup or pasta etc so I don't eat a lot of salad.

If what you eat, no matter what it is, is mainly WFPB then you are getting your nutrients... think about cows... they eat grass and hay and look at the size of them.

So I encourage you to eat what you love and eat lots of it and enjoy it and maybe take your supplements once a week as you could be overdoing it with them and that isn't healthy either. Give it a couple of weeks and see how you feel then. Changing lifestyles is challenging enough without trying to do it and not enjoying your food. Find a fuel that works and keep using it for your energy.

Good luck, Emma JC

Hi Emma,
Thank you for sharing this, sometimes its juts reassuring to hear something like this.
i need to just take a step back and relax, its just been hard when all these negative changes are happening to my body i feel like im doing something wrong.
Im going to take my B12 once a week and see how my skin reacts, i can always increase it if need be.
I have a lot of fortified food and nutritnal yeast so many be over doing it.

Thank you so much :)

A miso soup with noodles is an amazing base for all sorts of goodness.... vary it up at different meals with different veggies including bok choy or kale or other greens with carrots, onions, broc .... you name it, put it in. Add small amount of seaweed like wakame or similar, each time, and some mushrooms of different types and some hot sauce if you like hot sauce. You can also add some of the lentils that David suggested and you'll hardly notice they are. So yummy and versatile! hmmm maybe have to make that for dinner, thanks for the idea.

Emma JC
OMG making my mouth water. how strange ive ben reading about seaweed.
can you get iodine from Himalayan salt do you know, that what i use.
But i was going to buy some seaweed and try and make some vegan sushi.

So did you make it foe your dinner, and other suggestions please let me know im getting excited to cook this weekend. :)

Reactions: shyvas and KLS52