Why are we such serious people being vegan?

Are you an overly serious vegan?

• Yep

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • What do you mean serious? There's so much injusti....blah blah blah blah

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Some home truths here for us all I believe, but really why are we so serious, and more importantly what can we do to change this?

I for one need to 'lighten up' as I feel like a real party pooper (I don't even speak much and definitely not about veganism)

What bigger pull to going vegan than seeing people who a happy and full of life :)

Uh...no.

I speak about veganism every chance I get but I'm not an "overly serious" person, nor am I excessively quiet. I drink, dance, go out, enjoy talking to people, have sex, walk barefoot through the forest...

I don't think avoiding talking about veganism makes you a more "fun" vegan, it makes you a passive or weak vegan, tbh.

In fact I had a classmate who claimed to be vegan, who was always reassuring people that she wasn't a "crazy vegan" and blah blah and here lately she became very open about the fact that she is no longer actually vegan, just a strict vegetarian who USUALLY eats a plant based diet, but apparently has no problem snacking on goat cheese.

So I'm honestly wary of people who make the claims that you do.

If you're shy or quiet or not fun to be around, it's not because you're vegan. Let's start with that.

If vegans are in some ways more "serious" than some people, it's because we actually think more, are more aware of the suffering on the earth, and may also have concurrent concerns with politics or other big global issues. I am personally working on my environmental science degree, and I'm extremely serious about sustainability and climate change.

Some home truths here for us all I believe, but really why are we so serious, and more importantly what can we do to change this?

I for one need to 'lighten up' as I feel like a real party pooper (I don't even speak much and definitely not about veganism)

What bigger pull to going vegan than seeing people who a happy and full of life :)

I find the Vegan Bros pretty funny. They have a good attitude about promoting veganism in a laid-back way, if you can get past their constant swearing and talking over each other.

Uh...no.

I speak about veganism every chance I get but I'm not an "overly serious" person, nor am I excessively quiet. I drink, dance, go out, enjoy talking to people, have sex, walk barefoot through the forest...

I don't think avoiding talking about veganism makes you a more "fun" vegan, it makes you a passive or weak vegan, tbh.

In fact I had a classmate who claimed to be vegan, who was always reassuring people that she wasn't a "crazy vegan" and blah blah and here lately she became very open about the fact that she is no longer actually vegan, just a strict vegetarian who USUALLY eats a plant based diet, but apparently has no problem snacking on goat cheese.

So I'm honestly wary of people who make the claims that you do.

If you're shy or quiet or not fun to be around, it's not because you're vegan. Let's start with that.

If vegans are in some ways more "serious" than some people, it's because we actually think more, are more aware of the suffering on the earth, and may also have concurrent concerns with politics or other big global issues. I am personally working on my environmental science degree, and I'm extremely serious about sustainability and climate change.

I don't think gib is aiming to come across as offensive here, although a touchy subject I assume he's referring to vegans that go through extreme lengths to avoid anything that remotely relates to anything non-vegan. For example the fluids in my car are not vegan, the gear gaiter isn't either, medication from my doctor isn't vegan, there's more examples but I imagine you get the gist. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those types of vegans and I wish I could remove all that is not vegan from my life but realistically I can't, I'd say it would be hard for someone to be 100% vegan I know I'm certainly not given the examples I've provided.

We've decided we refuse to support an injustice and it'll always give us a bit of a "serious side" but Its just one layer to us. I myself am a casual easy going dude. I used to do stand up comedy, and now make jokes about everything. Its my way to deal with stuff, especially with friends that still eat meat (thankfully most of them aren't assholes about it)

There is nothing negative or wrong about being serious. If you feel like a party pooper, it is likely that the people around you are your typical social memes who go through life with out much thought or purpose. You might put in more thought and critical thinking into your decisions which may give the perception that you are a party pooper.
I'd love to party with you, but I do not consume alcohol.
I listen more than I speak. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm a vegan (not a troll): I honestly think some Vegans may be so serious/aggressive/extreme due to their lack of B12, they just need to stop being so angry and take a chill pill, I mean, a b12 pill.

Reactions: Consistency
I'm a vegan (not a troll): I honestly think some Vegans may be so serious/aggressive/extreme due to their lack of B12, they just need to stop being so angry and take a chill pill, I mean, a b12 pill.

Now that's a stereotype if I ever heard one. There's absolutely no credence to what you're saying here. B12 deficiency has nothing to do with seriousness, aggressiveness, anger, and/or extremism. In my humble opinion, it's you that felt extreme enough to come here and say something negative about it. One might say that is the epitome of trolling, despite your claims of not being one.

This thread has outlived its 15 minutes of fame or whatever you call it. Thread Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.